SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P220 22 conversion?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P220 22 conversion? Login/Join 
posted
Anybody have one of the Sig 22 uppers for a P220? Got a new scorpion and figured this might be a nice addition, especially with Sig's current sale price.
I run high volume on 22s so I was also curious about longevity. Usually a brick a trip for auto loaders or the 617 as I don't get there often and try to make the most of it when I do.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do. I have the .22 uppers for each of the various PSeries. They are all basically the same design. Mine have always run fine (I use minimags and they don't like much else that I already have around, but I haven't done much testing on this). I can't comment on real longevity, the one I've shot the most is the 226 one but since I generally don't use them for high volume shooting. I don't see anything obvious in the wear I would consider a warning sign that they won't run for a long time. Probably never match a real .22 in longevity but a different design point.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I couldn't tell you about longevity but mine only seems to run well if cleaned before use and run wet. It also prefers 40 grain high-velocity ammo.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NOT compromised!
Picture of SIGWALLY
posted Hide Post
I own and shoot the 226 and 228 kits. They work great, little to no wear, and they do prefer the H.V. ammo. Mine also love mini-mags...

Posts: 1527 | Location: Tampa Bay, Florida | Registered: July 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Mine has been quite reliable for a .22 autoloader. Probably the most reliable .22 autoloading handgun I've got.

No idea the round count, but I've had it for 5 or so years and it's in excellent shape still.

I usually shoot Minimags as well, but I don't really have any problem with Federal bulk pack, although it's a bit less reliable than Minimags.

Gun is 100% reliable with a suppressor, although I don't have nearly as many suppressed rounds as I do unsuppressed, so not a great statistical sample.

Still only have one mag though. Roll Eyes

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ive had one for ~4 years and have had zero problems. It was great when 22 ammo was plentiful.

Posts: 135 | Location: Chapel Hill, NC | Registered: June 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcs1564
posted Hide Post
I haven't had any issues with my P220 with a little wear seen on the upper rear surface of the rails.

With that said, I did buy it used, so, I have no idea what the total round count is, nor, whether an x-change kit was used on it.

I've put about 300 rounds through it (Mini-Mag HPs) with less than 5 FTFs and no FTEs that I can recall and run it fairly wet with Slide Guide lite.

------------
SP2022 - 9mm

Posts: 1260 | Location: CT | Registered: January 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought my p226 with the .22 installed stock.

I have a few thousand rounds through it with very very few issues.

Mini-mags are all it will eat though.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
I have had as threaded one for my P220 for many years now. I have no clue how many thousands of rounds have been through it, I do not keep records of that stuff.

Mine shoots most anything I have ever fed it, Winchester Wildcat, Aguilla Super Extra, Eley Force, Remington bulk packed promo ammo and others

I did shorten the spring plug so that the mags hold 14 rounds instead of the standard 10. I know the parts can be bought, but I already own a Dremel so I did it myself for no cash

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
Just for the heck of it I tested all these in my P220 and had no problems. Then settled on Mini Mags as the standard and continue to have no issues...

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1859 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I could find it, 36gr hp federal bulk packs were my go to ammo for rimfire. My pistols and rifles both ate it reliably and the accuracy was surprising if I did my part.
Now that it is unobtanium, I'm running the lead solid AutoMatch from federal. Dirtier, but my MKIII seems to like it better.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fullmann
posted Hide Post
I read some bad reviews on the 220 .22 magazines being a common failure point. Like wearing at the mag catch and not locking in.

Any truth to this?

Posts: 412 | Location: Mid Michigan  | Registered: June 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fullmann:
I read some bad reviews on the 220 .22 magazines being a common failure point. Like wearing at the mag catch and not locking in.

Any truth to this?

Yes.

I bought a used P220 conversion kit and every shot would spit the magazine out.

The magazines are quite sloppy in the mag well from front to rear.

I now place a few layers of aluminum tape on the back side of Sig conversion kit magazines to move the magazine foreword in the mag well to increase the engagement of the mag release.

Haven't had any issues since.

Not very pretty, but it works fine and saves the magazine.

Posts: 1335 | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
I have a P226-22 that I shoot suppressed. It runs and sounds great with CCI standard velocity which is subsonic out of a pistol barrel.

The only downside is that it gets very dirty very quickly when shooting suppressed. Within a couple of mags the frame rails start to feel a bit gritty. This grit has caused the anodizing on the top of the frame to wear off. And yes I am using a generous amount of grease on the frame rails. If you don't shoot suppressed the pistol won't get dirty nearly as quickly.

So if you have a favorite/pristine German made Sig I would be hesitant to put the .22 slide on it. Mine is a US frame that I purchased specifically to run as a .22 trainer so I'm not worried about it. I have seen others mention similar frame wear issues with the .22 slides so just wanted to bring it up.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RaiseHal
posted Hide Post
No issues with my kit, but I have only put a couple boxes through it.

It's a shame that youth is wasted on the young --- Mark Twain

Anyone who is not a liberal by age 20 has no heart; anyone who is not a conservative by age 40 has no brain---Winston Churchill

Posts: 4650 | Location: The Free State of Georgia | Registered: August 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post