SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Questions about a JP Sauer 38H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questions about a JP Sauer 38H Login/Join 
posted
Gentlemen

I have recently acquired a JP Sauer & Sohn 38H. As I do whenever I get a new gun, I'm trying to find out as much about it as I can. The description is as follows:

Left side of slide: “J.P. SAUER&SOHN,SUHL” over “CAL. 7,65”

Right side of slide: “PATENT”

Bottom of magazine: "CAL. 7,65" and "SuS" logo

Finish: Blue (I don't know why they call it that, it looks black), Some holster wear on outside corners

Grips: Black Bakelite with “SuS” logo on left side, checkered

Serial number: 6 digit number (316650) on right side of frame below slide serrations
3 digit number on inside of slide at front (650)
3 digit number on rear of breech block (650)

Acceptance stamp: none

Test proof stamp: Eagle over N right side of frame below slide serrations
Eagle over N right side of slide above slide serrations
Eagle over N right side of barrel near muzzle

I bought the gun from a dealer in another state, had it shipped to my dealer locally and he, in turn, transferred it to me. It didn't come with anything other than the gun itself. My dealer happened to have a holster with a spare factory magazine so I bought that from him as well. Given that it has what is probably a military or police acceptance stamp and the gun doesn't, I suspect that they aren't a correct match. Nonetheless, I'd like to find out what I can about the holster as well. Description is as follows:

Holster, brown, generally decent shape w/ some wear, spare factory magazine in pouch

Eagle with Nazi logo over “WaA 286” stamped on closing strap
“jhg” over “42” stamped on flap covering trigger
“sauer 7,65” over “H” inked on inside

So, I like to determine the following:
1. Month & year of manufacture of the gun
2. Does the fact that there is no acceptance stamp mean it was likely sold commercially?
3. To whom would the holster have been issued?

Any assistance that you folks can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Dave

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 03, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dear Sir;
There are other forums to which it would have been better to address your very detailed questions on "Substitute Standard" WW2/pre-WW2 handguns and holsters.

May I suggest you post on Jan Still's "Luger Forum". They have a section for "other" Axis Powers weapons.

However, it's not impossible that there just might be an advanced Sauer 38H collector on this board. Good luck in your search for information.

------------------------------------------------------------
"I have resolved to fight as long as Marse Robert has a corporal's guard, or until he says give up. He is the man I shall follow or die in the attempt."

Feb. 27, 1865 Letter by Sgt. Henry P. Fortson 'B' Co. 31st GA Vol. Inf.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Coastal NC | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post