SIGforum
228 Wood Grips

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/4070053124

March 20, 2017, 09:58 PM
ArtieS
228 Wood Grips
I would like some advice on wood grips for my 228. It currently wears the new E2 grip, but it's an older gun with the new mainspring housing so that the E2 would work. I have large hands, so it isn't best for me. I am also not a fan of the stock plastic grips for classic Sigs.

Thus, I am interested in wood. I like Nills, but I don't like the price so much... I have looked at the Hogue hardwood, and really like the look of the checkered Pau Ferro grips, but I've never heard of, nor seen anyone using them, so I don't have any idea of how they are.

I have also tried a 229 Equinox with the Sig rosewood grips and found it felt awfully fat in my hand.

So here are the questions: Are there grip manufacturers other than Hogue and Nill I should consider? How are the Hogue in practice; are they slimmer than the Equinox grips? Will the E2 mainspring be a problem, or do I need to go back to the original mainspring to mount wooden grips, or any other grips such as Crimson Trace, for that matter?

Thank you.

A

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.
March 20, 2017, 10:07 PM
Check out grips4u.net

Stay away from KSD grips from Turkey. They look great, but their shit are out of specs. Ordered 4 sets from them. All out of specs. Mad

Q

March 21, 2017, 09:32 AM
NavyGuy
I had a set of Houges on a P228. They were thicker than factory standard plastic.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence
March 21, 2017, 11:58 AM
ArtieS
Thanks for the information. Out of spec would be bad. Thicker than factory plastic is fine as I have big hands, I just found the Equinox grips to feel a bit odd.

A

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.
March 21, 2017, 12:05 PM
HawkeyeJohn
Bought Hogue Goncalo checkered grips for this 228 last year.

Was so impressed, I bought a second set for my 229.

Stock grips on a 228 are about 1.24" wide (mid-way between the screws). The Hogues are about 1.44" in roughly the same location.

Apologies to Hogue for the pathetic color reproduction here. The photos on their website are much more accurate but still not as beautiful as the real thing!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: HawkeyeJohn,
March 21, 2017, 12:33 PM
1KPerDay
Pau Ferro Hogue. Great stuff.

Vid with closeups and pics here
https://youtu.be/qvbfsmGQ12g

thickness is the same as OEM from my evaluation, but checkering/grip is better, and the bottom rear portion of the grips is shaped more rounded a little. Kind of like a bobtail. I like them very much.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.
March 21, 2017, 04:02 PM
Ken @ Hogue Inc
If there is anything we can do for you Please don't hesitate to ask.

To view grip options available for this model view here .
To change from E2 to 2 pc. wood grips you will also need grip screws. Hogue grips will fit with the E2 hardware.

Need technical help with Hogue products and your firearm?

Try the Hogue Knowledge Base for answers!

Hogue Gear
Holsters and more...
www.hogueinc.com
www.hogueknives.com www.heatedtoiletseat.com www.zombiegrips.com
Ken@hogueinc.com

View or Download your Catalog today;

2023 Catalog

2023 Knife Catalog

Hogue AR-15/ Catalog

Request a Catalog
March 22, 2017, 10:45 AM
jackimoe
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Check out grips4u.net

Stay away from KSD grips from Turkey. They look great, but their shit are out of specs. Ordered 4 sets from them. All out of specs. Mad

I'd agree with that one hundred percent unless you are really willing to grind and cut to make them fit. Even then it won't be a guarantee and they may be so trashed that you can't get a refund. That's nnot to add to the fact that they are overseas as well and have had some complications with factory trademarks/copyrights.

I bought a pair KSD from a forum member and did about 45 minutes worth of fitting. I still have a tad bit left to do. They aren't perfect like the Hougue Pau Ferro's that were on it before.

KSD's

These are the Sile's and are available through Numrich for about thirty bucks...

Can't find my Hogue pics right now.
March 22, 2017, 10:52 AM
Sunset_Va
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Check out grips4u.net

Agree about grips4u, the owner will make sure to help you if you have problems installing the grips and they are top quality.

美しい犬
March 22, 2017, 09:49 PM
ArtieS
Thanks for all the help. Now I'm having a hard time deciding between the Pau Ferro and Goncalo. I like the Tuilp, but they are out of stock, and $50 more...

March 23, 2017, 12:05 AM
soggy_spinout
I also like the Altamont rosewoods for the P228/P229. Kind of thick, though, but a reasonable price.

I could be wrong, but it was my understanding that before Hogue became SIG's OEM grip supplier it was Altamont who did SIGARM's domestic wood grips.

I've also used rosewood grips from Gun Grip Supply out of North Carolina for both the P229 (P228) and P226. Feel a bit thinner than the Altamonts but the edge treatment of the wood is more abrupt in transition to frame metal than Hogues or Altamonts. They look bulky but actually feel about as thin as Hogues. IMHO I think their finish work is as good as what Hogue does for factory SIG wood grips. Kind of flashy but the look is pretty sweet to my eye.