SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    SIG MPX followed me home
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIG MPX followed me home Login/Join 
Picture of redlickranch
posted
Buddy and I were talking about the new Copperhead and how sweet looking it was. About an hour later I went by my local shop to window shop and they had two preowned MPX pistols for sale. Owner offered me this for for $1,200 out the door which I thought was more than fair. The other MPX came with the box and a second brace was $1,500. I didn't like the other brace so got this one.

Pistol with folding Sig Brace and 3 mags.

Can't wait to get it out to the range.

Not sure if I am going to add an optic or not, but would like to know what you guys like for this set up. Thank You.

EDIT attempt at smaller pics...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: redlickranch,

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Please reduce the size of your images to max 900 pixels horizontal resolution to avoid side scrolling.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I actually bought 2 MPX carbines, and put a C-More on one, and an OKO dot sight on the other.
I replaced the triggers in both with Hyperfire, 3-gun.

Posts: 221 | Location: WI | Registered: October 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Yeah, downsizing those pics would most certainly help make this thread a friendly place to visit.

But anyways, congrats on your newfound lil' buddy.

The factory irons work, but I prefer an optic. What you choose is up to your own preferences and budget. I put a T-1 Micro on a Larue QD for my MPX and changed out the lumpy factory sights for flat Bobro lowriders. Most people will probably think that I overspent but I don't give a rat's ass about that. I can be hard (or a klutz, depending on POV) on my guns and chose gear that has a rep for durability and longevity.

A MPX-friendly Timney 2-stage drop-in replaced the very Mil-spec like factory trigger. I deleted the annoying-to-me ambi safety selector and swapped out the charging handle to a Raptor with the lifter block, which only sorta helps in keeping receiver wear down. The folding brace was retired and the SB 3-position resides in its place. I also replaced the silly flash hider with a Griffin 3-lug in preparation for my Optimus can due in a few months (no thanks to the gov't shutdown). And I went G10 for the pistol grip.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
Sorry just deleted pics and tried new ones.

How did you swap out the ambi safety? It seems like it would rub my trigger finger while shooting. I plan on going to the range on Sunday to try it out.

I have a 22 can and don't plan on going through that process again for another so it can just stay loud. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: redlickranch,

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bent but not broken
Picture of maddy345
posted Hide Post
I went the two stamp route. Aimpoint T1 and a Surefire X300.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

God bless the Motor Life Boat and the men & women that run them!

Posts: 3955 | Location: Just out of reach | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
Finally made it out to the range today with the Sig MPX and Spikes AR9 Pistol (Glock Mags setup).

The Sig came with one Gen I mag and two Gen 2 mags and all function flawlessly. Ammo was Federal American Eagle and Winchester steel case bulk pack. I didn't notice the label before purchasing the steel case, but decided to try it out anyway. No failures in either pistol of any of the 9mm ammo. The MPX mags were pretty easy to load without a tool of any kind. The action on the MPX is night and day nicer than the Spikes which helped with rapid fire. I have yet to pick up an optic for the MPX so I was using the factory open sights which were dead on. Accuracy was slightly better with the MPX with both brass and the steel cased ammo. The only issue from either gun was with the MPX. The pistol grip came loose at the end and was showing the two small springs near the receiver. I was able to fix this in a few minutes when I returned home. I fired about 100 rounds out of both guns with a mixture of ammo.

Very impressed with the MPX that cost me $1,200 out the door. The Spikes AR9 was a fun gun to shoot and only cost me around $600. (Both pre-owned guns)

I almost didn't buy the MPX since I had a Spikes AR9 and Colt 9mm carbine, but I like the MPX the best out of all them.

If you have a chance to shoot an MPX you should try it out.

Would like to know the best place to pick up a few more mags for the MPX?

NRA Life Member

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Weren't they going to do caliber conversion kits for the MPX?

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
GEN 2 models have kits. I would rather stay with 9mm myself.

NRA Life Member

Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redlickranch:
GEN 2 models have kits. I would rather stay with 9mm myself.

Negative. I'm pretty sure Sig abandoned that Idea a while ago. I haven't seen a single one in the wild.

To the OP. That's a solid score! Enjoy it! My MPX gives everyone that shoots it that ear 2 ear grin.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8837 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love my MPX. Sounds like you got a pretty solid deal. Congratulations

Posts: 1298 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
Good buy on a nice pistol.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kent j
posted Hide Post
I have the same mpx you have, personally I prefer the folding brace. I put a Vortex Strikefire on it and am very pleased. You'll love it and at a great price. I bought additional mags from Gunmag warehouse. I've had good luck with Gen1 mags so far.

Regards, Kent j

You can learn something from everyone you meet, If nothing else you can learn you don't want to be like them
It's only racist to those who want it to be.
It's a magazine, clips are for potato chips and hair

Posts: 294 | Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
How did you swap out the ambi safety? It seems like it would rub my trigger finger while shooting. I plan on going to the range on Sunday to try it out.

There's a holding pin on the safety lever on the right side of the receiver. Punch that pin out and the lever on the right comes off. Don't do like I did and forget to put some protective tape on the receiver before taking the punch to the lever; the steel punch I used was heavily knurled and it put a nasty scratch into the lower's anodized finish. Took me several applications of Birchwood Casey's Aluminum Black to disguise my 'bubba' moment. Mostly fixed but if one were to look hard enough the remnant is still poking through. Oh well.

From there you can release out the main lever on the left side with a bit of twisting while pulling. However I'm not certain if it will come out quite as easily if the factory trigger is still installed. When I swapped out the safety on my MPX I already had the Timney drop-in trigger in the gun and with that in place I could easily extract the rest of the safety without any physical interference from the Timney.

Once the factory ambi safety lever is out, I'm pretty sure that you can use any AR safety in its place. I went with the Strike Industries Strike Switch, which can be configured for left side only or full ambi. It does require some modification however because of the curved lip on the top edge of the MPX's lower receiver doesn't allow for complete disengagement of the safety, because unlike typical AR safety switches this unit uses two activation/deactivation points to turn the safety on or off (it's like a rocker switch on an axle). This is one instance where your Dremel or bench grinder is your best bud; on the "on" control surface I kept it simple and sliced off a triangular section so the switch would clear the curved lip of the receiver. Since the switch is made from aluminum, I took some of the Aluminum Blue and refinished any exposed metal left by the Dremel.

So far I like the new safety; it's easy to manipulate and yes I don't miss the ambi lever one bit. It's also the first 45° throw switch that I have on any AR style gun and after using it on my MPX I'm now thinking that I need more of them, if not the Strike Switch itself.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
quote:

There's a holding pin on... if not the Strike Switch itself.

You can only get this kinda' stuff on SIGforum...well done soggy.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You dig
Picture of evolution
posted Hide Post
I've got the same gun but with the folding/retracting stock. I've also got one of those mini trijicon 1.5 optics on it. I love my MPX, it's literally one of my top three.

I often use it to introduce friends/neighbors to AR type guns. They have all also, without exception loved it.

Great purchase OP.

Posts: 2602 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
i love "mine!" I tossed on a 4" barrel, the Lancer carbon fiber handguard, and put a Shockwave blade on it over the fat, original Sig brace.

as far as optics, I've had the Aimpoint PRO, Sig Romeo5, EoTech 2-0, and the Spitfire 1x on it. Since my wife has pretty bad astigmatism, the prismatic Spitfire is what won her over - enough where the MPX is now officially hers, and she is deadly with it!

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! I love mine but even more after putting SB collapsing brace on it. I can attest that Soggy’s comment on roll pin are accurate - I just swapped out the trigger for a Timney this weekend and had to put pin on twice as I missed the tiny washer that is used. I use a trijicon MRO as a site and I am looking for a lighter front hand guard as I find it front heavy.

Fun guns, trigger swap is a must imho.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Will Geissele AR triggers work in these?
Shame that SIG never brought to market a 357 Sig conversion. To me that would be the ideal carbine caliber, well if you can find the ammo!

HK Ag

Posts: 3495 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HK Ag:
Will Geissele AR triggers work in these?
Shame that SIG never brought to market a 357 Sig conversion. To me that would be the ideal carbine caliber, well if you can find the ammo!

HK Ag

The Geissele MPX trigger should. I have one installed in my Gen 1 MPX.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1925 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post