SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    320 Voluntary upgrades
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

320 Voluntary upgrades Login/Join 
posted
Ive been in the market for a few trades and have a 320 lined up. It does not have the upgrade performed.on it.

For all of you who have or have not upgraded to the new spec, care to shed some light on why you did or did not? Any benefit to not upgrading?

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The trigger is much smoother and has a longer stroke than before the upgrade. It is easier to control the trigger now, much easier.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't notice any difference in function from before or after.

I couldn't find a valid reason not to do the "upgrade." The pistols function as advertised.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did the upgrade on both of mine. I did not perceive any noticeable change in them, and suppose they are now a bit safer. My turnaround was very fast, couple weeks for both.

Big plus for me was getting two 25% off coupons that work on call-in or web orders, including sale items.

These are very nice coupons.. the website pricing isn't all that great normally but sale items can sometimes be priced very good. Knocking 25% off that can net some one of a kind type deals.

Used one on the site, the other on a call-in order that included a huge laundry list of parts and odds and ends. Ended up with a legit total savings of around $1k vs. the lowest prices online at all the cheap places.

Posts: 221 | Location: Michigan | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 5 upgraded fcu's. I noticed for all intents no perceptible difference in action. The upside is that the pistol is drop safe.

No disrespect intended but there is literally no reasonable argument against doing the upgrade on a stock gun. (People who have poured cash into upgrades on the action might not want to hope that the action stays the same) For a stock pistol, this upgrade is painless and free. Get queued up and shoot it till they contact you. It will be back in your hands very shortly thereafter.

Posts: 7346 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The other benefit of the upgrade is that it also includes a slide activated disconnect as opposed to relying on over-travel to reset the trigger.

This in and of itself is not a huge benefit, but it does allow you to install an Apex advanced trigger and trigger bar, which drastically reduces over-travel and is a huge benefit.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
There is zero reason not to do it. The scenario under which the guns were found to be firing when dropped is unlikely but conceivable in a hand-to-hand struggle for the gun. Mine also came back with a better trigger action, as well as being thinner for a slightly shorter reach and better finger placement, than the original.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
I have not had the upgrade on my compact 45 yet. I registered online last year but have never heard anything yet. I'm not concerned, it'll happen sooner or later.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by remsig:
I have not had the upgrade on my compact 45 yet. I registered online last year but have never heard anything yet. I'm not concerned, it'll happen sooner or later.

I would contact them directly. Most of those involved with the upgrades have long since been sent back to other assignments. there is no backup and hasn't been for some time.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I prefer the trigger supplied with the upgraded guns. I also have less trigger “sting” now.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies so far. I figured there was no reason not to do it but thought I'd check in case I was missing something. I'll send it out when I get it.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My upgrade came back with a smoother trigger pull, but otherwise no difference. It came back to me about 14 months ago.

Posts: 3202 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a L/E package W-320-9-Pre-Tension-compact. I entered my info on line maybe a year ago , I called and the guy put me on hold, came back and said might be around two weeks. I never was contacted ever. I got a new thin fact Sig trigger ,and lighter new type striker and called it a day .this one is a tac driver.

Posts: 936 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 3 that are the original style.
1 was just returned, and the trigger is much crisper.
Second one is there now.

The way it works these days is you must call.
I was emailed a call tag immediately while on the phone.

Turnaround time (door to door) was 16 days.
New paperwork in the box that included a 25% off code for my next internet order (or call in order). Make sure you check for the coupon card, as mine was inside the owners manual.

Posts: 181 | Location: NEPA | Registered: March 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
quote:
Originally posted by remsig:

I would contact them directly. Most of those involved with the upgrades have long since been sent back to other assignments. there is no backup and hasn't been for some time.

rscalzo,

I will check with them next week. I kind of figured mine got lost in the shuffle.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I had it to do over, I would not let Sig touch
my 320. It came back with a lot of trigger sting, and has consequently become a safe queen.

Posts: 10 | Registered: February 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hear mostly good reports from getting it done . I have a few new ones and like the trigger , and on L/E that I did not get to send and never herd from them about it . I emailed them back the news came out . I put the newer lighter striker and fact thin trigger in and its great .

Posts: 936 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two SIG P320s that have undergone the "voluntary upgrade". I sent them in separately and compared the trigger action in the upgraded and non-upgraded pistols very carefully in side-by-side dry fire after the first one returned.

I had not appreciated any difference in trigger function between the two original pistols in either dry or live fire before the upgrade. The first pistol to go in was my full-size P320 in .45 ACP. Comparing this with the non-upgraded P320 compact in 9 mm, if I compared the two very critically I could perceive the following differences.

There was no difference in the total length of trigger pull or length of pre-travel that I could appreciate. The pre-travel or take-up phase on the upgraded trigger seemed very slightly smoother on the upgraded pistol, but this was not enough of a difference to ever be able to appreciate in live fire. The pull weight at the break point for the upgraded trigger was slightly but definitely lighter by perhaps 3/4-1 lb. The quality of the break did not seem otherwise different.

After I sent the second pistol in I again compared the two very carefully after both had been modified and I could not discern any difference anymore by which I concluded that the pull weight for the second upgraded trigger had also declined slightly.

The first time I shot the full-size P320 .45 ACP in live fire on a cold day I experienced significant trigger finger sting before I got through 20 rounds, but I have not since. Nor have I had any trigger finger sting with the upgraded 9 mm compact. I had not had any trigger sting issues with either of the pistols in the original configuration with the stock "adverse" triggers.

I have no explanation for it, but the ejection pattern seemed weaker for the 9 mm compact after the upgrade. The first couple of times I fired it, I had some brass-to-face issues and I found some crud under the extractor claw. This did not look like carbon residue. It looked like it might have been fine metal shaving debris possibly from the milling process required to cut the pocket in the slide to accommodate the head of the disconnector. The BTF issue improved after removing and cleaning the extractor, but the ejection still seems weaker despite no apparent visible problem with the extractor that I can discern.

In retrospect, I would go ahead with the upgrade process on both pistols if I had it to do over, but I did not feel that the trigger action on either pistol was "better" after the modification.

Posts: 372 | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had no problems with my P320. However a Sig tech advised me to have the "up grade" so my pistol would be compatible for things in the future since new P320 pistols will have that upgrade.
So, sent it in and all's well.
Stay safe
Poli Viejo

Posts: 395 | Location: Green Valley, Arizona | Registered: May 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I just got mine back a couple of weeks ago. It took two weeks from the day I sent it to the day I got it back. The process itself was very painless...I called Sig, they sent me a shipping label, I boxed it up and sent it out. Two weeks later it showed up at my door. The only complaint I had was that they told me they'd email me with a tracking # when it shipped back, and they never did. It came signature required, so if I hadn't been home it would have been a problem, but thankfully I was.

As to the trigger itself, I experienced no sting. The pull weight was the same or very similar both pre and post upgrade. When I first got it back I was dissapointed because it felt grittier and stacked a little, while it had been very smooth and crisp before. A good cleaning and a few hundred rounds through it and I believe it has smoothed out to being about where it was before.

All things considered, I'd say it's worth doing. The "upgraded" version adds a marginal improvement in safety, as well as being the new standard for replacement and aftermarket parts. Upgrading it will give you more options for modifications down the road.

Posts: 8416 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post