SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock G22: Convert To 357 Sig?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock G22: Convert To 357 Sig? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
I've got this 2nd Gen. G22. Was my first center-fire auto-loader. I don't much shoot it any more. Part of the reason being I've never been able to shoot it worth a damn. Don't know whether it's me, the pistol, or both. Trigger is kinda "squishy" and a bit stiff.

Have long thought I'd do the 25¢ trigger job. If that didn't work: Maybe a barrel upgrade. Then, with the P320F .45 ACP, it became kind of redundant, so I was thinking I'd sell it.

Then my buddy gave me that P229S and I got to thinking: If I end up really liking 357 Sig, maybe it'd make sense to convert it? All it'd take would be a barrel? Then I'd have a 357 Sig carry piece. (Heck, two of the six mags are labelled ".357 Sig.") Night sights are 24 years old, though...

Or sell it and get a 357 Sig Caliber X-Change kit for the P320F? Or a classic DA/SA Sig in 357 Sig? Or...?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
I've found that everything I don't like about a Glock I can fix. Get the 357 Sig barrel if you like the caliber. Heck, get a 9mm conversion barrel and have all kinds of fun. If you like to tinker with guns, then there's nothing as easy to modify as a Glock.

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I've since found out the 357 Sig conversion turns out to be a non-starter for my G22. Mine is an early Gen. 2. Glock says the S/N has to start with CNX#### and later for it to be safe. Mine is A######.

I don't have any interest in turning it into a 9mm or other caliber. So it's back to tune it up as a 40 S&W or sell it, I guess.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Yes, you should keep it solely based on how hard they are to come across. Can easily be converted to a 9.

Found a Gen2 that had been stippled with too much enthusiasm. Was able to destipple it, round off the trigger guard, and find a 9mm carbine kit. It has a Salient flat trigger and runs super smooth.

The other two are .38 Super and .357 Sig.

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A tungsten guide rod and 22# recoil spring will make the world of difference in a Glock 22.

Posts: 1988 | Location: metro Atlanta, GA | Registered: July 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Gently polish the internal with NevrDull, grease well, and shoot it. If you still don't like the trigger, try a factory "-" connector.

Enjoy it.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I've since found out the 357 Sig conversion turns out to be a non-starter for my G22. Mine is an early Gen. 2. Glock says the S/N has to start with CNX#### and later for it to be safe. Mine is A######.

I don't have any interest in turning it into a 9mm or other caliber. So it's back to tune it up as a 40 S&W or sell it, I guess.

Years ago I bought a Gen 2 G22 with the intention of running 357sig and found the same info you did.
Called Glock, gave them the serial number, and they would not even sell me a G31 barrel for that pistol.

Ended up selling the Gen 2 and buying a Gen 3 G22..

Posts: 4359 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my humble opinion the Glock 22/23 are the best of the lot, I have both with 9mm and .357 barrels. Generally, they are safe queens but I enjoy shooting them, while they are accurate and reliable they take a backseat to my EDC Sig P229 in .357 Sig. That having been said, my range time is swinging my preference to my Glock 40 in 10mm.
Knowing what I know now, I would have skipped the Glock 22 in favor of the Glock 40 while still buying the Glock 23. Can not/would not try to carry the Glock 40 but I like it more than the Glock 22. Best advice is to stay away from 10mm lest you start lusting for a Sig as am I.

NRA Benefactor

Posts: 106 | Location: State of Confusion | Registered: July 05, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are enough Gen 2 lovers that the easy route is just trade it for a Gen 3.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
There are enough Gen 2 lovers that the easy route is just trade it for a Gen 3.

If I wanted to, I suppose.

Thing is: While I don't dislike Glocks, per se, neither am I overly fond of them. Maybe it's because I'm one for two? The G22 hasn't been great for me, the G34 has. Dunno. In the end: The only reason I'm really all that interested in keeping this particular Glock is I bought it on the day Clinton signed the Brady Bill, as a protest. Woke up that morning, said "The hell you say," called in to take an "emergency vacation day" and went looking for a "high-capacity semi-automatic handgun." Found it Smile From the results of my search I dare say it may well have been one of the last available in the Metro-Detroit area, that day.

There is something to be said for 15+1 rounds of .40 S&W goodness Smile

posted Hide Post
Will a complete slide run OK? I've done that in some circumstances.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Will a complete slide run OK? I've done that in some circumstances.

Sorry, but I've no idea what that means.

posted Hide Post
Glock says you can't replace the barrel to get to .357sig. but can you use a complete slide assembly?

posted Hide Post
The problem isn't the slide, it's the frame.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Oh. Duh. Yeah... no. What sns3guppy said. Apparently the 357 Sig puts more stress on the frame. Can result in cracking it.

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
It may have to do more with the polymer block in the Gen1 and early Gen2 frame as well as the 2 pin architecture.

If you can find a heavier slide than what comes from Smyrna, it will reduce the stress to the frame and lower the inertia for the given ammo used, resulting in a lighter recoil spring preload and further reduce frame stress. Unfortunately, this is mostly cost prohibitive and requires tweaking the gun as a complete unit. Mostly it depends on the amount of time and effort you can justify for the proposed results.

On the plus side, converting it to a 9 is a piece of cake.

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
.357 is a fun round in a glock. I had a G32 and loved it, great carry piece.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
FWIW, if one really wants to venture into the realm of 357sig, a P229 or P226 is hard to beat... Wink

Even more so if the Glock platform doesn't tickle one's fancy.. Big Grin

Posts: 4359 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1lowlife:
FWIW, if one really wants to venture into the realm of 357sig, a P229 or P226 is hard to beat... Wink

Even more so if the Glock platform doesn't tickle one's fancy.. Big Grin

Yes it is. I had the chance to get a P226 Elite Dark in 357 Sig. Missed it. The poor guy was moving out of town due to circumstances beyond his control.

I was able to convert the carbine kit to 357 Sig instead, but I'm always thinking 'what if...'.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1lowlife:

Yeah, a P229 or P226 in 357 Sig might make a nice companion to the P229S. And used, even CPOs, don't look out-of-the-question expensive. But then holster, mag carriers... *sigh*...