SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Impressed by Guncrafter Industries (a vs Ed Brown post)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Impressed by Guncrafter Industries (a vs Ed Brown post) Login/Join 
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted
I picked up a new Guncrafter Industries CCO today. I've heard of Guncrafters, I know they are supposed to be great 1911's, and I know that the owner used to be head of R&D at Wilson.

So obviously, given that knowledge, I had high expectations. I'd say that the gun met and even slightly exceeded my expectations.

I just picked it up, but I wanted to point out a couple of things. Often the internet will make comments about who's better: Wilson vs Ed Brown vs Nighthawk vs Volkman vs Guncrafters...vs whoever.

What perturbs me about those discussions is they are filled comments like "Brand X has better fit and finish and is tighter."

What does that even mean? These are all such great guns, give me examples, not just your silly worthless comment.

So, I pulled my Ed Brown off my hip and compared it to the new Guncrafter No Name CCO. I have to say that Guncrafter actually clearly has a better fit and finish than the Ed Brown and I took pictures for y'all rather than just internet comments.

The only area I can't get a pics of is the trigger wiggle and the slide. The Brown has ever so little play in the vertile direction. The Guncrafter's trigger is rock solid. No play at all. I don't recall owning a 1911 with that solid of a trigger. Also, the Guncrafter clearly has a tighter slide to frame fit. In fairness, the Brown is about 10 or so years old and has thousands of rounds through it.

Having said that I also have a Gray Guns custom 1911 that they made for me and to date that gun is the tightest I have ever handled as far as slide to frame fit. I'll have to wait until I get home to compare it, but the Guncrafter is certainly in the same conversation at least.

For reference, in these pics, the stainless gun is the Brown and the black gun is the Guncrafter.

The easiest place to show "fit and finish" in pics is the recoil spring plug. Ignore the flush and crowned barrel on the Guncrafter, I paid more for that option so it's not fair. Brown will do that too if you ask for it.

The flush recoil spring plug on the Guncrafter is just flat out cool IMO. A nice touch that is not an added option, it's just how they finish their guns.

On the beaver tail I've drawn circles to highlight the areas of difference. Keep in mind, I've taken the pictures of the Brown at just the right angle to exaggerate the issue. It's a beautifully finished gun and I'm splitting hairs here, but at this level that's what it's about...the fine details. The Brown has a little bigger gap and isn't perfectly flat when depressed. The Guncrafter is dead nuts.

different angle. Note how the Guncrafter follows the frame all the way down to the memory hump and the Brown doesn't:

One thing that is cool about the Guncrafter is the way the hammer sits down in the beavertail. It's hard to show in a pic, but it just nestles down in there more than on other 1911's. It's a very cool feature. They clearly spent the time to actually fit the hammer into the beavertail pocket.

That's it on the comparison. Again, I'm reeeeeeeally splitting hairs, but if someone asks me Guncrafter vs Brown, I've gotta answer Guncrafter based on these differences.

Would I still buy a Brown? Yep! Both are fantastic. It's not that there is anything wrong with the Brown, I am posting because I am just blown away by the Guncrafter. They absolutely deserve to be up there with the big boys and dare I say maybe even at the top of them.

Based on my sample of 1, Guncrafter might be the most precisely fit and finish semi-custom gun I've handled. I can't recall handling one that beats it.

Other cool feature that aren't really a comparison, but just things I like:

The front strap checkering. It's not as fine as others. It's still very grippy but is just a little different and feels nice.

Also the serrations on top of the slide are a little different. I don't feel these have any function whatsoever and could do without them (I didn't order this gun custom or else they wouldn't be there), but being a little wider than most is visually interesting.

Another nice aspect of this gun is the finish. The pics don't do it justice, but it is just perfect! Almost will make me cringe when I first cram it into kydex Big Grin

So that's all I got. I tried to just provide a little objective pics to the whole really good 1911 vs another really good 1911 debate.

If I could own only one (assuming the Guncrafter runs when I shoot it tomorrow), I'd have to say the Guncrafter. It's just ever so slightly nicer.

Note: no point in discussing triggers, they're both amazing.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RELOADER-10
posted Hide Post
Now that is one fine 1911 specimen...I love how clean the gun looks without any engraving, just smooth sides on the slide. Enjoy shooting that beauty!

Posts: 8 | Registered: October 25, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like your Brown is a 4 digit serial number gun. Is that correct?

Posts: 239 | Registered: April 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Awesome Karma! I'm in! Big Grin

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbacker_99:
Looks like your Brown is a 4 digit serial number gun. Is that correct?

That is correct.

posted Hide Post
That is a beauty Sir!! I’ve recently become aware of Guncrafter simply by scrolling through Instagram aimlessly and I always find myself stopped upon their images.

Further research confirms everything you’ve said here regarding quality.

When funds allow, they are at the top of my list.

We can’t have many cool things in NY anymore, but custom 1911s are still permitted by decree of King Cuomo

Congratulations !!

Posts: 176 | Location: Rochester NY | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Not a 1911-guy but damn, thats a nice pistol.

Bravo.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Another nice aspect of this gun is the finish. The pics don't do it justice, but it is just perfect! Almost will make me cringe when I first cram it into kydex

Yeah, I see holster wear on the high points, already. Eek

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Another nice aspect of this gun is the finish. The pics don't do it justice, but it is just perfect! Almost will make me cringe when I first cram it into kydex

I did a double take too. When I posted the pic I was like wtf?!?!?!? The finish is perfect on the gun, it’s just lighting/reflection on the corner.

It has not been in a holster yet.

Picture of BT2012
posted Hide Post
Congrats and enjoy shooting it. That GI looks awesome and from the pics, it looks like a great job they done on it. I look forward to reading your feedback after you take it to the range.

Posts: 21 | Registered: November 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am Kermit the Frog green with envy ... VI

Posts: 646 | Registered: July 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice gun. How does it shoot compared to the Brown?

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
es: I too have a GI CCO and would be hard pressed to disagree with any of your postings, esp since they are backed by some solid photos. Mine does not have the mini-serrations on the slide stop & thumb safety, both are nice touches. Mine's must likely an older version of the CCO or the original owner of yours requested it.
I wish you nothing but the best with it, but do highly recommend a leather holster vs kydex.

Posts: 66 | Location: Boca Raton FL | Registered: April 13, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ronin11:
es: I too have a GI CCO and would be hard pressed to disagree with any of your postings, esp since they are backed by some solid photos. Mine does not have the mini-serrations on the slide stop & thumb safety, both are nice touches. Mine's must likely an older version of the CCO or the original owner of yours requested it.
I wish you nothing but the best with it, but do highly recommend a leather holster vs kydex.

I bought it from Crazy John at 1911 Heaven. I'm not sure if he ordered it with the knurling on the slide stop and safety or not.

This gun will be carried, so I don't mind the knurling. I don't think aids in use in any way. I can see how some might not like it though. I don't mind it either way. I kind of find it interesting/different.

I'm taking it to the range later today. I'll let y'all know how it shoots.

posted Hide Post
es: bad assumption on my part regarding the s/s & t/s. IMO: I like your setup with the knurled addition, or just maybe that is how the GI's are now being released.

BIG fan of the CCO configuration.

Posts: 66 | Location: Boca Raton FL | Registered: April 13, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Jan ran a 250 pack of ammo through it and a box of Critical Defense +P.

Gun ran perfectly. I loaded up three mags at a time and fired off quickly as I could while maintaining minute of paper plate to get it hot.

It's a great gun! The one complaint I have is the sights. The front sight does not stand out at all. I found myself hunting for it way too much.

I also took a new Dan Wesson ECO 9mm that I picked up on the way to the range. The white ring on the ECO made it nice and easy to pick up.

I will definitely be ordering new sights for the Guncrafter.

Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!!! GCI is a really excellent specimen of 1911. I have 2 commander sized, consecutive serial numbers in .45 and 9mm. I have some rubbing marks on my slides now. But I don’t mind some marks here and there since mine are both being carried CCW alternately. I had RRA, Les Baer and Springfield Professional 1911s. All have been sold for various reasons. All great pistols. Only have the GCI now.

I know you will love your GCI. I bet you are already thinking of ordering your next one. Big Grin

Posts: 1886 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
That No Name looks great! I've looked at CJ's web page several times. I Just have other places to spend $$ and have to wait..

As you shoot it more keep me posted on your impressions.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

I've wanted a GI No Name since the company began. I love the 20LPI serrations. GI builds beautiful guns.

Once you decide accept and embrace the wear and use it as JMB intended, they develop their own special kind of beauty...

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I will certainly keep you posted Nframe. He has one more CCO like that left.

And yeah, I never worry about wear tha. That Brown in the comparison photos has marks and wear all over it. It just doesn't show up as easily in photos b/c it's stainless. But when you hold it, you can see the wear.

Nothing wrong with your guns showing signs of actual use IMO.