SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    MA specific question re: private firearm sales
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MA specific question re: private firearm sales Login/Join 
posted
Hello,

quick background: I lived in NC for 11 years before moving to NYC. I had to store all of my firearms at my parents' home in NC the past 4 years prior to moving to MA because NYC is utterly absurd.

I've now been in MA for 3 months and received my LTC last week - obviously went directly from the PD to the nearest gun shop and picked up a sweet Sig 1911. However.....the pistols here are limited and 6 of my pistols in NC are non-compliant in MA. I tried to have my parents ship them to me via UPS but they gave them a horrible time so I'm planning to drive them up this summer (not thrilled that I have to wait 3 months, but at least I'm armed now...)

That being said....the dealer I purchased my Sig from told me that I am unable to buy non-MA compliant firearms via FFL's or private sales facilitated via FFLs, but I can sell 4 firearms/year in private sale transaction and purchase as many as I want via private purchases.

So - does anyone have experience in dealing with these absurd MA laws and know how to search local markets for buying/selling? Is there a specific area of this board for liberal states with insane gun laws? I bought/sold/ traded a number of pistols on this site years ago, but that was when I lived in the land of the (kind of) free in NC. Any MA specific advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Posts: 70 | Registered: December 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
You might want to post this in the Pistols section. Wink

Q

Posts: 26375 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
you might want to email or post a question directed to Arcwelder, (he is the mod in the rifle section

he is in MA, IIRC, and should be able to help

and yes, pistol section would be good to Wink

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4sigman
posted Hide Post
You can bring your pistols into the Commonwealth. The "non-compliant" stuff only applies to dealer sales. You are supposed to register them within 7 or 10 days of bringing them in via the online firearms transfer program.

Posts: 275 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: April 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dEX_RX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4sigman:
You can bring your pistols into the Commonwealth. The "non-compliant" stuff only applies to dealer sales. You are supposed to register them within 7 or 10 days of bringing them in via the online firearms transfer program.

This exactly. As long as YOU owned it prior to moving here, it's ok to bring it in and register it here. You will only run into a hiccup if you want to sell or transfer the "non-compliant" firearm through an FFL and even then, some FFLs are more forgiving than others.

NXGen Tactical
CZ P-09 MHS Trials #79 | P320RX-TSS | P320SCR | VP9 LE

Posts: 110 | Location: Central Mass | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
And yes, you can have 4 transfers per calendar year. This is done on an e-fa10 available online. You can sell face-to-face with anyone licensed a gun not on the dumb roster. So you can sell 4 in December and 4 again in January if you choose.

It is facilitated by your PIN you got in a letter following your license. You also need the PIN to buy at your FFL.

In which part of the Commonwealth are you located? There are good, bad, and great shops all over.

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4sigman:

Also, remember that any mags that you bring that are over 10 rounds need to be preban. We are still under the AWB here in MA.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2409 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! I'm in Needham, MA, so pretty close to Boston and not finding many great gun shop options. Definitely a different world than NC!

I had no idea I'd have to register my NC firearms if shipped to MA - thanks for the advice.

I guess the best bet is to track the classified section here for MA compliant pistols and for sellers of non-compliants that might be local?

Thanks!

Posts: 70 | Registered: December 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
Join this gun forum, www.northeastshooters.com . A wealth of knowledge in MA gun laws. A good classified section too.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2409 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow. A private sale is just that. If you voluntarily put your guns from your parents on a govt list, well you deserve what you get.

Posts: 1871 | Registered: June 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
Call MIRCS an get the real info.
You are the owner, so you can own them in Mass.

Too bad you didn't think of it sooner. You could have bought some noncompliant guns and brought them with you and flipped them for a killing.

Legal up to 4 per year.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
There are some good stores around, among them:

AJ's firearms in Acushnet ( 95 south to 24 south...) run by a friend and his dad- good honest people and shooters. They have a facebook page open to all. Limited hours as they have another business full time.

Four Seasone in Woburn (95 North to Winn St south) much bigger operation than AJ's, somewhat hard to find but directly in front of the Woburn PD. One of the heaviest hitters in the area. I've bought plenty there.

Mass Firearms School in Holliston has a store there, my brother says it's really good.

I don't let myself get to gun shops too much. My kids are too little to shoot, I have little free cash, and I am pretty well stocked for now. If I need things, I usually go to AJ's though- to visit and for the conversations. He has a little of everything.

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rebut10
posted Hide Post
First IANAL so do your due diligence. You are not REQUIRED to register the firearms you bring into the state when you move to Mass. The law says, IIRC, you MAY register them, it is not a mandate to do so.

The Northeastshooters forum (mentioned above) has the information you need and lots of people who will share their experience with you.

EDIT:

I just read a section in the Mass gun law section of NE shooters that could be an issue.

"If you choose to leave your firearms and bring them later, you will need to file an FA-10 form with the Criminal History Systems Board for each firearm brought in later (plus any firearms you buy in MA). These forms can be obtained from your local PD."

Effectively registering them with the state. Of course maybe you did bring them with you, stored them securely, and simply forgot you DID bring them with you.

Read here:

http://www.northeastshooters.c...tts-Read-Here-First!

Live free or die...
Don't tread on me...
Molon Labe...
Take your pick.

Posts: 1235 | Location: Not on Cape Cod. | Registered: December 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
Some stuff on the site is outdated.

Yes, you DID bring them with you. And, that FA-10 form that you use to list your guns is now an EFA-10 form(E for electronic) and is done on line only.

Since you DID bring them you don't need to file them with the state.

Preban AWB stuff is ok. You can sell or buy stuff that is not MA compliant in private sales but FFL's can't sell or transfer anything not MA compliant.

John

posted Hide Post
Just move about an hour north and don't deal with this BS

West German Flavors
P230, P220, P226

Posts: 218 | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post