SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Is it ok to shoot a few .22 shorts from a Buckmark .22 LR Pistol?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is it ok to shoot a few .22 shorts from a Buckmark .22 LR Pistol? Login/Join 
posted
Can you get away with shooting a few .22 shorts from a .22 LR Buckmark pistol if you chamber them individually? Would it hurt the chamber or anything?

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I don't know the answer, but Winchester and Remington have both cheerfully advertised rifles as being capable of shooting CB Caps, shorts, rifles and long rifles. FWIW, I haven't seen that do any damage to a Baikal IZH94 (essentially a break-open single shot rifle) chambered for the .22LR.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
clean the chamber well afterwards,

since the shorts are,, well shorter, you will likely get some crud buildup ,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Doubt it will feed or cycle but can’t imagine any damage it would cause beyond being dirty as hell.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7668 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
Won’t cycle. It becomes a single shot. But it will fire.

Posts: 1348 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Maybe 50 years ago you could buy really good stainless steel bore brushes. They've fallen in disfavor because they tend to erode the rifling but do an amazing job of cleaning the chambers if used with care.

Cleaning your gun shouldn't be that hard, even after every firing session. If your using shorter than normal length shells, you should consider doing it. Every time. It does take a bunch of time. Like 2 minutes.

The crud is mostly wax lubricant and powder residue. You can reduce it by shooting CB longs, which are just the long or long rifle cas and little or no powder. CCI makes them.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He's already talking about hand loading them. There is zero issue on this.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10990 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
As others have said, won’t hurt a thing.

Posts: 3445 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good to hear. I'm only planning on shooting a few for rat patrol outside and don't want it to be too noisy and have a handful of CB caps laying around. Just will throw one in the chamber at a time.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jimmy123x,

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lever actions with tube magazines like the Marlin 39A and Henry H001 are designed to shoot 22LR, 22 Long, and 22 Short. Do they have a fouling issue when using the Long and Short cartridges?

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
As stated, no issue other than cycling and a bit of extra chamber fouling. I've shot tons of CB shorts through a Buckmark and a Ruger Mark II without issue. Note though, the shorter cartridges shot is longer chambers will suffer accuracy for the obvious reasons.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have fired, single-shot, a few Aguila Colibri's thru my G44. No problems at all and using them avoids the gunky-chamber situation. They are also much quieter, not that I would fire them at home Wink, thru a revolver. Pellet gun velocity and a little bit louder than firing a primer-only .22 round.

Posts: 425 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
clean the chamber well afterwards,

since the shorts are,, well shorter, you will likely get some crud buildup ,

This;crud buildup is the problem

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shaggy Dog Story Alert:

Although .22 Short is no longer allowed, it used to be the standard for ISU Rapid Fire. High Standard made guns to compete with the Europeans, the Supermatic action with an aluminum slide and Short barrel.
One shooter thought he could do better. He used a LR barrel, figuring that the 16" twist would be more of an asset than the LR chamber length would be a liability. He drilled and tapped a row of holes down the top of the barrel to tune for different loads and found it would function with Match Shorts with all holes open, and with CB Shorts with all holes plugged.

Volquartsen made a Short kit for Rugers but I don't see it on their www. No point, it is no longer allowed by ISU.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post