SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Recommend a RDS for G45 MOS please
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommend a RDS for G45 MOS please Login/Join 
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted
I got one of these fancy optic ready pistols now, and I’m clueless as to what to do with it. I’d like to be able to keep the stock sights and cowitness - if possible - but I don’t know if any are that low based.

I know exactly squat about pistol optics, but my aging eyes think maybe it’s time I figure it out. Let me know what you’ve got, what you like, or what to avoid. All opinions welcome.

Pistol is a Glock model 45 MOS. Thanks.

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:
I’d like to be able to keep the stock sights and cowitness - if possible - but I don’t know if any are that low based.

They aren't. Any red dot is going to require taller sights. (But there are a few that have a rear sight notch integrated into the optic base, so you only have to replace the front sight with a taller sight, and the factory rear can just be removed.)

Are you wanting something just to shoot at the range, or is this potentially going to be for defensive use?

The Trijicon RMR is the gold standard for red dots for duty/defensive use.

But if it's just for plinking, there are a number of other options.

I have a SRO on my G45, but it's just for range use.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^
+1

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
This will be my winter carry (when more clothes makes it easier to conceal the longer grip).

*after I practice with it.

ETA: Type 2 on the Trijicon?

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Then get a Trijicon RMR, and install some taller "suppressor-height" sights to cowitness.

Yes, Type 2. The older Type 1 has been discontinued for a few years now, and the Type 2 has some important electronics upgrades anyway, to address common issues that the earlier generation sights ran into.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
There's Absolute co-witness and lower 1/3rd (and probably everywhere in between depending on height).

I use Ameriglo XL height suppressor sights for lower 1/3rd.

Yes, Type 2 if you go RMR.

There are also different sized dots that you will have to decide on. It can be hard to choose if you have never seen them in person to try out.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
What dot is most favorable? 3 MOA?

The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
3.25 seems to be the most popular.

I ended up with a 6.5 MOA because it was the only one in stock at the time. I've shot the 3.25 before. The 6.5 seems more clear to my eyes compared to the 3.25 (astigmatism). I would be fine with either one.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Using 3.25moa on my 45. Slide milled by Maple Leaf.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
Looks slick, Chowser.

Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
RMR Type 2 adjustable on my 45 milled by Jagerwerks.

Posts: 3437 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I love my Holosun 507c GR.

Chowser, does that have a cover on the RDS?

Posts: 3443 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I currently have two RMRs a 3.25 moa dot on a G34 and a 6.5 moa dot on a G17 and go back and forth on which I like better. I’m leaning toward liking the 3.25 dot over the 6.5 dot, but I’m a little biased because the 34 has become one of my favorite pistols. I just picked up a 19 MOS and will probably be putting on another 3.25.

Posts: 2932 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Feeling a little like a character in the hitchikers quide to the galaxy I have spent tens of thousands of rounds of ammo and an untold number of matches trying to answer the question of the best dot size (RMR06 or RMR07). And my conclusion is mostly it doesn't matter very much. In aggregate I prefer the 3.25 06. My recommendation is to get a RMR06 type 2. For the Glock MOS you absolutely need the AC32064 accessory kit to properly mount it and a bit of dielectric grease and hopefully a inlb torque driver.
Of all the combinations of 9mm glocks I've tried with a dot (all of them) the 45 is the absolute best of the bunch.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10970 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Trijicon or Holosun. Adjustable (not auto-adjust) in Trijicon and RMR over SRO. I think you can technically co-witness "normal" irons with an Aimpoint ACRO, but you'll pay more for the optic and fight terrible battery life. I prefer smaller dots and have some RM09 1 MOA RMRs backordered for a couple of guns. The RM06 is also good. In Holosun almost all models use a 2 MOA dot so the question there is more whether you want the circle/dot option and which type of housing (aluminum or titanium).

C&H Precision for a lower mounting plate that is better built and 10-8 Performance for nice low sights.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BennerP220:
I love my Holosun 507c GR.

Chowser, does that have a cover on the RDS?

When I use a suppressor, I use a cover.
I've sinced cut the back window part out to make the view clearer. I think the cover is made by Jellyfish?

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Strike Industries "Jellyfish".

How well does it stay on?

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Yes, Strike Industries.

It's on there pretty good. It takes some effort to remove it.

Not minority enough!