SIGforum
Can a .380 round damage a P365?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/4050018854

July 11, 2019, 11:19 AM
opticsguy
Can a .380 round damage a P365?
It looks like some got mixed in a box I had in the bottom of my safe. It stovepiped but ran 9mm fine after that.

I was testing out a new grip and flat trigger and it wouldn't hit the side of a barn after the .380 round went through. Wondering if a new barrel is in order.
July 11, 2019, 11:37 AM
MNSIG
I'd say it's unlikely unless the bullet got stuck and you fired another one behind it.
July 11, 2019, 11:38 AM
Chowser
You’ll be fine.

Not minority enough!
July 11, 2019, 11:44 AM
hjs157
I too would be surprised if a single 9mm Kurz fired in a 9x19mm chamber would cause permanent damage. Scrub the bore and visually inspect for any bulging or other abnormalities. I somehow wonder if the new grip and trigger are detrimental to your accuracy.
July 11, 2019, 11:55 AM
CAPT29
It is far most likely that the installation of the new grip and trigger has affected accuracy than firing of a .380 round.
The .380 probably only fired because it was held in place by the extractor because if it chambered like it should in a 9mm chamber it would have been too far forward in the chamber for the firing pin to reach it-unless you have a super long firing pin, which would then pierce primers on 9mms.

The Islamic terrorist express: Go directly to Allah, do not pass hell.
July 11, 2019, 11:55 AM
Anubismp
Should be fine in theory. I'd pop the barrel and look for a bulge with the following.

1. Look down the barrel at a light so you can see the rifling. If you see a dark ring then that's possibly a bulge.
2. Slide the barrel into the slide from the front like youre pointing at the firing pin, and see if it catches on the barrel before stopping on the chamber/recoil lug area.

If neither of the above is a thing I'd not think too hard about it. I ran a round of 40 through a 45 1911 and besides not cycling the slide it was fine.
July 11, 2019, 11:56 AM
cslinger
If several .40 rounds won’t damage a .45 1911 I think you will be fine.
Uhhhh, uuuhh friend mixed up some ammo many years ago. Wink Frown

I just about turned white when I realized what I had done and why I was having so many malfunctions. I was THRILLED to have all my fin......errrr my friend was thrilled to have all his fingers. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."
July 11, 2019, 12:18 PM
ensigmatic
quote:
Originally posted by opticsguy:
I was testing out a new grip and flat trigger and it wouldn't hit the side of a barn after the .380 round went through.

I think it's more likely you than the gun.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher
July 11, 2019, 03:37 PM
sigfreund
Many 40 S&W rounds have been fired in 45 ACP chambers, many 9mm cartridges have been fired in 40 S&W chambers, and even a few 357 SIG rounds fired in 40 S&W chambers, all without causing any damage except to egos. The 380 Auto cartridge uses the same size bullet as 9mm, so I cannot imagine it would have any adverse effect.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
July 11, 2019, 05:28 PM
opticsguy
I looked at the barrel when cleaning. A lot if chunks of stuff, but it cleaned up nicely. I would think lead and copper couldn't damage a steel barrel, but you never know.
July 11, 2019, 05:34 PM
DaBigBR
No problem.

If you haven't shot a 9mm through a .40 or a .40 through a .45, you know somebody who has. Case usually bulges a little and the gun often won't cycle, but otherwise not a problem.
July 11, 2019, 07:23 PM
FN in MT
I watched a guy with a Smith 25-7 a .45 Colt revolver ,spraying bullets at the 50 yd steel plate.

But the report was odd, so I walked over. He was shooting full boat .44 mags out of that poor Smith!

The rest is a long story but that revolver survived.
July 11, 2019, 08:51 PM
RAMIUS
I’ve done that a bunch of times, not a big deal.
July 12, 2019, 06:49 PM
dickwholliday
I noticed some rounds in an ammo can that appeared to be too long..... turns out my dillon 650 will sometimes load a 380 just like it was a 9 mm..... they functioned just fine.... d I c k

"Take a kid shooting"
July 13, 2019, 04:47 AM
egregore
The .380 is smaller (at the base) than 9mm Luger. I would expect the case to bulge severely at this point. Unless the case blows out I don't see how it could damage the gun. The bullet is the same diameter and there is enough power to push it out of the barrel, so no worries about getting a bullet stuck.
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:

Is this hyperbole? A bunch of times? Anybody can make a mistake, but the same one multiple times says you need to review safety procedures, like only putting out one gun and its ammunition at a time.
July 13, 2019, 12:13 PM
RAMIUS
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
The .380 is smaller (at the base) than 9mm Luger. I would expect the case to bulge severely at this point. Unless the case blows out I don't see how it could damage the gun. The bullet is the same diameter and there is enough power to push it out of the barrel, so no worries about getting a bullet stuck.
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:

Is this hyperbole? A bunch of times? Anybody can make a mistake, but the same one multiple times says you need to review safety procedures, like only putting out one gun and its ammunition at a time.

I did it twice by accident at the range. Then I got curious and tried it a few more times just to make sure Big Grin

July 13, 2019, 05:30 PM
opticsguy
quote:

Here's a pic of one of the casings I found

July 13, 2019, 05:45 PM
Jim Watson
There was one PD that would practice malfunctions by putting a random .380 in a 9mm Beretta magazine. The Beretta would feed and fire the .380, but not cycle; jam!
July 13, 2019, 05:46 PM
odin
I think that's called "fire formed"!! Big Grin Big Grin
July 14, 2019, 05:47 AM
sigfreund
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Watson:
There was one PD that would practice malfunctions by putting a random .380 in a 9mm Beretta magazine.

Ooh! Good idea.
Thanks for mentioning that.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato