Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CMP 1911s Login/Join 
Picture of usmc-nav
posted Hide Post
Glad you received yours Skull Leader. I have a rng in the 9000 range so I am still awaiting notification. Did you get matching slide / frame? Which manufacturer? Post up some photos when you can.

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Concept of providing affordable firearms and ammunition to foster/encourage marksmanship seems to be lacking in the re-incarnated CMP.

So, now the firearms they sell are "highly prized" not for their utility, but for collecting?

Pass, no interest whatsoever.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
Too expensive. Buy a worn out, rebuilt gun for more than the price of a quality new one. No thanks.

This. What a sham. Anything worth a damn is put on auction. Like gun shows, the CMP hasn't been worthwhile in years.

Posts: 1871 | Registered: June 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BillyBonesNY:
Concept of providing affordable firearms and ammunition to foster/encourage marksmanship seems to be lacking in the re-incarnated CMP.

So, now the firearms they sell are "highly prized" not for their utility, but for collecting?

Pass, no interest whatsoever.

the monies generated go towards marksmanship, competition etc,

no one will be competitive with an as issued 1911,,,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
the monies generated go towards marksmanship, competition etc,

no one will be competitive with an as issued 1911,,,

Yep. Unless they get access to hundreds of thousands of 1911s to feed to the masses cheaply (which will never happen), making them so widely available that they can therefore justify creating an "issued 1911" style of dedicated CMP match (like they did with Garands), the best they can do is to use the money generated by collectible 1911 sales to provide other marksmanship training and competitions.

But they've been doing similar things for a while, where certain more collectible firearms get shunted to auction strictly for revenue generation. While those specific collectibles don't get doled out on the cheap like the more common rifles, the money generated still goes towards supporting the CMP's mission of fostering and encouraging marksmanship by putting on affordable classes and competitions, building nice new facilities for classes and competitions, subsidizing the inexpensive sale of more mundane firearms, etc.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At first, I was interested as I got my Garand through CMP but my interest waned.
I've sold every 1911 I've ever had save one.
Dan Wesson, Sig, Colt and so on. What did I keep? The beat up Springfield mil spec that I got for a song.
Scratches, idiot mark, 1 magazine and it hasn't skipped a beat.
I wouldn't buy one from Springfield for reasons of course but from a private seller, yes. I equate this pistol to what I may get from CMP.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm skeptical. My suspicion is, as others have surmised, that these are pistols that likely have gone through multiple parts swaps through their lifetime, and possibly an arsenal rebuild. Historical? Well, kinda. Shooter? Well, kinda-keep in mind that at best the slides are only partially thorough-hardened. My 1911A1 bug has been assuaged by my Series 70 Stainless that my wife got me for our anniversary. It's far more accurate, with far better sights, and eminently more shootable with JHP cartridges than the 1945 Remington Rand we also have. And you can get a BNIB Series 70 Reproduction or 1991 Classic for less than $1K... Best, Jon

Posts: 995 | Location: Auburn, WA USA | Registered: June 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
I scratched my WWII 1911A1 itch long ago. However, I'm elated these pistols are being sold to civilians rather than chopped in half and scrapped by an indifferent bureaucracy. And as I have stated before, the CMP will have no difficulty selling every USGI 1911 which comes into their possession.

Posts: 3505 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:
I scratched my WWII 1911A1 itch long ago. However, I'm elated these pistols are being sold to civilians rather than chopped in half and scrapped by an indifferent bureaucracy. And as I have stated before, the CMP will have no difficulty selling every USGI 1911 which comes into their possession.

Reminds me of some finance term involving a willing buyer and a willing seller.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
2nd round open today through 3/4. Sending in my paperwork. We'll see what happens.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The one I received was a Remington Rand frame rebuilt with a colt post war slide and barrel. Many people are freaks for USMC provenance and mine was rebuilt by USMC depot Albany Georgia in September of 1977. Of course there is no way to prove that any part of the pistol served in combat from 1945 onward, but still prefer the history of these to some fresh off the shelf commercial item.
Mine feeds hollowpoints and semi wad cutter reloads ( which I did not expect) for $950 I could sell it easily and make a few hundred in an instant
It isn’t going anywhere. Like other old classics it has a soul unlike a modern production item. An intangible hard to put a price on. Either you understand that or you don’t either way is just fine. But they are not simply old beat up rattle traps to many of us

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
During Army service in the years 1976-1979, I was issued two different 1911s. Both were beat up pretty bad. One was arsenal reworked FOUR times, and that was back then! A sheet of paper could be inserted between the frame and slide of both guns. Something to think about.....

Two things bring me to tears. The unconditional Love of God,the service of the United States Military,past,present,and future.

I would rather meet
a slick-sleeve private,
than a hollywood star!

Posts: 2339 | Registered: February 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just picked up mine. Colt Frame with Remington Slide. Overall, in good shape.
I was pretty excited for the Colt frame. Of course, it would be great to have a complete numbers matching gun, but I won't complain at all. I will Get some pics up soon. I don't know if I'll shoot it at all, but it seemed like a no brainer considering what they sell for on gunbroker or other places. Additionally, I thought it would be very fitting with my Sig M17 decomm and Colt USMC 1911's.

Posts: 295 | Location: Rocky Mountains | Registered: January 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 295 | Location: Rocky Mountains | Registered: January 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
That's an awesome old warhorse, and I imagine it has some stories to tell. Wish I'd sucked up the cost and put an order in for one of those when they were still accepting them.

Posts: 8545 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just found this thread thought i would post up a pic of mine. I never received an actual number just a call from Anniston Alabama. I figure i may have been one of the first 1k.
Ithaca frame Colt slide 1943

"the soul of a dog is pure"

Posts: 265 | Location: VA | Registered: June 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those pistols look pretty nice in the pictures. Good condition (for the most part) and certainly worth having.

My experience is with the pistols that the US Navy used aboard ship. When I was in the Petty Office of the Watch carried a 1911. As one of the Gunners Mates aboard I carried the same, again as POOW.
There was absolutely no way to tell how many times those guns had been rebuilt. For all we knew the only original part may have been the frame.
We had to qualify with these in order to carry them. We managed to do that, sometimes with several tries, but it wasn’t made any easier with the wear on the weapons.
CMP obviously will have a grab bag. If there was any certainty of getting something “pretty good” I might consider a CMP pistol. Those chances appear to be pretty slim.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris42:
Those pistols look pretty nice in the pictures. Good condition (for the most part) and certainly worth having.

My experience is with the pistols that the US Navy used aboard ship. When I was in the Petty Office of the Watch carried a 1911. As one of the Gunners Mates aboard I carried the same, again as POOW.
There was absolutely no way to tell how many times those guns had been rebuilt. For all we knew the only original part may have been the frame.
We had to qualify with these in order to carry them. We managed to do that, sometimes with several tries, but it wasn’t made any easier with the wear on the weapons.
CMP obviously will have a grab bag. If there was any certainty of getting something “pretty good” I might consider a CMP pistol. Those chances appear to be pretty slim.

I remember range day with the 1911 at Parris Island back in 1966. When we returned to the quonset hut, the platoon was divided into groups of 5, and we all sat around buckets of dry cleaning solvent, and detail stripped all the 1911's & threw all the parts in. We then picked pieces out & scrubbed them with a toothbrush, and put the guns back together. It didn't matter what part came from which gun, they were all so worn that everything fit.

My memory must be going bad, but I don't ever remember a 1911 malfunctioning the whole four years in was in the Marines. Smile

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Please excuse my ignorance but are you guys buying these as collector's items or are any of you planning on actually shooting them?

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1864 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fiasconva:
Please excuse my ignorance but are you guys buying these as collector's items or are any of you planning on actually shooting them?

Are you serious? Given what they are, they absolutely are collector's items. Maybe some people would put a couple rounds through them since they're already used - I shoot my WWII firearms - but I don't think anyone is buying these for the purposes of being a shooter or a carry piece or something.

Posts: 17114 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post