SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock 17 Gen 4 - Your suggestions, please!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock 17 Gen 4 - Your suggestions, please! Login/Join 
posted
After much futzing, I embraced the dark side (again) and picked up a NIB G17 Gen 4. Lots of plastic things to clip on it. Fun! This will be an EDC piece, so I am not going to do too much to it.
Thus far:
Ordered Glock factory night sights from Glock. Hard to beat price. Adios plastic ball and gutter sights.
Extended Glock factory Slide Release. Hate the tiny stock release.
BladeTech Revolution Holster. Better leather later when my budget rebounds.
Kytex Mag Holder.
MagPul Magazines. Could not beat the price and they get good reviews.
Trigger is typical Glock, but other than shooting it a lot, and possibly the .25 cent trigger job, I plan to keep it stock. Maybe a lighter factory connector later.
So... fellow Glockians, any other suggestions? Any thing else I need to know?
Thanks in advance!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
A threaded barrel, a suppressor, and ammo. Lots of 147gr ammo.

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
25 cent trigger job and a Glock minus connector is my favorite trigger combo.
I like the Vickers slide stop, mag release and mag base plates. The base plates will not work on the Magpul magazines though.

Posts: 181 | Location: NEPA | Registered: March 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
you've got it pretty well covered. I definitely will be adding the factory extended slide stop and - connectors to my 19 and 21, as I've fallen in love with them on the 34. I personally went for Ameriglo CAP sights.

Other than that, lots of ammo and shoot the piss out of it.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you decide to try different trigger combinations, please get in on this:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...350090614#8350090614

Posts: 840 | Location: FL | Registered: January 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Guys! Appreciate the suggestions!

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I like a plain black rear sight so I paint over the dots. I also add a - connector and I'm good. No extended controls for me on a carry gun.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Undercut the trigger guard. Probably the single best improvement to a Glock. Besides new sights.

For ME:
DA/SA= Sig 9mm
Striker fired= Glock 9mm
If it's a .45= 1911
Suppressed= HK in .45
I like anything in 10mm

Posts: 1442 | Location: VA | Registered: July 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I will preface this with the fact that about 10 years ago I did a round count on a gen 3 G17. This was back when you could get Winchester white box ammo at Walmart for $5 a box. I was a member at a private range I could open and run myself at any time. As a result I whot between 200 and 400 rounds every other night through that glock. When I gave it away I had close to 27,000 rounds through it

Since then I have carried and shot tens of thousands of rounds through many other glocks. I carry a G17 every day. I have 5 of them

Things I think make the gun much much better

Aftermarket triggers...

I don't mean the whole package with the disconnector etc

I mean the trigger shoe itself.

The aftermarket options are numerous and much much improved

Some people like flat triggers. I personally prefer the wider aluminum triggers like APex and Zev make. Never again will I get a blister from the trigger safety

You can buy just the shoe if you want to keep everything else stock

I personally buy a trigger with the trigger bar...yes it's more expensive...but I get a polished and fitted trigger bar with it

New connector

This is personal choice and preference

The glock -
The ghost ones
Zev
Suarez
APex

They are, believe it or not, very different for such a little part

This is much easier to experiment with because the connector are cheaper than the trigger bars

Find the combo that works for you

The great thing is with a glock they are so easy to work with and there is so much aftermarket support for them you can personalize them all by yourself

Mess around and find what is right for you. I've experimented with just about every trigger/spring/connector combination i can think of and I still try something new when I can grab a cheap g17

Sights and trigger are the most personal things for guns

Find what works for you and have fun!

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Glock (-) connector and 6# trigger reset spring.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post

My carry / duty weapon...

Posts: 1957 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Night sights.
Pearce grip frame insert.
http://www.pearcegrip.com/Prod...CK%20GEN%204/PG-G4MF

That's all it needs.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of The_Watcher
posted Hide Post
Have you shot it yet?

How many rounds?

Posts: 184 | Registered: April 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My duty gun came with the 5.5# standard connector but the pull weighed in at over seven pounds. A quick trigger bar replacement fixed it and I am now back down to around a sub six lb. trigger. Nothing to brag about but it makes a heck of a difference for me at twenty five yards and with support hand only shooting.

It'something to consider if the trigger feels overly heavy. It seems most guys prefer the Gen 3 triggers. Either way, it's an easy fix.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have not shot it yet.

posted Hide Post
If its a range toy, do what ever you like to it. If you intend to carry or use it, stick with Glock parts for the internals.

I like the minus connector. All my Glocks have Trijicon HD sights with an orange front.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
No offense, but I don't get this suggestion. Is it because you think the aftermarket parts will fail? I think anecdotal accounts prove that isn't the case. I'm not suggesting you have to buy an agency or Zev full house gun but there are plenty of people (me included) that have thousands of rounds through glocks with non OEM parts and have never had a failure with one. The glock 17 I carry every day has aftermarket parts in it, and I trust it with my life. It has over 5000 rounds through it in its current setup and has never had a failure. It's a glock. Just a glock set up how I like it

Should people that carry sig or HKs avoid grayguns triggers in their carry guns?

What about the 1911 guys that have Colts turned into full custom builds?

quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
If its a range toy, do what ever you like to it. If you intend to carry or use it, stick with Glock parts for the internals.

I like the minus connector. All my Glocks have Trijicon HD sights with an orange front.

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of The_Watcher
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I have not shot it yet.

I would shoot it before I began changing anything. Start static, but once comfortable (maybe 100-200 rounds) try "driving the gun". See what on it works for you and what doesn't. You may find that the simplicity of the design is inherent to it's beauty.

I have had a Glock for 21 years. My current EDC has new sights and an aftermarket connector to help the trigger pull a bit. I also did the $0.25 trigger job. That is all I need to run my gun to the best of my ability.

Posts: 184 | Registered: April 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post