SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P320 jams and stovepipes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 jams and stovepipes Login/Join 
posted
I ran my full size 320 this weekend after several upgrades. Specifically, the Gray Guns competition trigger and FAT guide rod with a 15 pound 1911 recoil spring. Never had jams or stovepipes prior to the upgrades. Gun was clean and lubed. All mags were clean. I ran 147 grain and 124 grain new ammo. Any idea what it could be?

Posts: 2 | Registered: July 07, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
I don't own a P320, but, I would probably look at the recoil spring as a possible source of your problems.

Posts: 1294 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^This.

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mo4040:
... I would probably look at the recoil spring as a possible source of your problems.

That was my first thought.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What do you mean by "jam?"

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have found it wise in the pas to install one upgrade at a time, and test fire in between. It's much slower, but helpful in identifying potential problems.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am running the same configuration which you describe. I have an older P320 9mm FS, which I sent to Sig for their voluntary upgrade. I then installed the GG FAT stainless guide rod and spring, followed later by the GG competition sear/trigger upgrade. This pistol runs well with 115 gr factory and my 124 gr reloads, no issues with mine.

Agree with others' suggestions, test one change at a time.

Posts: 312 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I too would start with the recoil spring and go back from there.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JPD217
posted Hide Post
I have the GG guide rod and 15# spring in my P320 X Pro, I'm at about 500 rounds with no issues. As others have stated, start with the guide rod, put the factory one back in and see if the issue is still there.

Posts: 2585 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: August 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
The easiest answer is to "un-upgrade" the gun.

If it goes back to functioning normally, start installing one new part at a time making sure everything works before moving moving on to the next.

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4191 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the suggestions and advice on testing one upgrade at a time.

Posts: 2 | Registered: July 07, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Question about the 1911 spring. Was the gun not functioning properly with the factory spring? Trying to understand the intended benefit of changing the spring.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JPD217
posted Hide Post
Not sure about the OP, but I changed mine because, a) I don't like captured recoil spring/guide rods, b) I wanted the extra weight that the Fat Rod provides, and c) that stainless guide rod just looks cool. Smile

Posts: 2585 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: August 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I would buy a selection of 1911 springs from 12 to 16 lbs and experiment. Make sure you run the gun wet in order to get a true picture of how the springs are working.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
Question about the 1911 spring. Was the gun not functioning properly with the factory spring? Trying to understand the intended benefit of changing the spring.

I recall a number of discussions a couple of years ago regarding the P320 FS 9mm. Bruce Gray and Jones, among others. It was based on research and field testing (competition), not opinions.

The consensus was that the P320 FS 9mm was "oversprung" regarding the factory RSA. Can't recall if it was just RP reloads or factory as well. Resulted in muzzle dip after gun comes down from recoil. Use of the GGI FS guide rod with the supplied 1911 RS solved the problem.

Had also been a post or two from owners unable to get a factory RSA and using the GGI GR/spring. Haven't heard of any functioning problems.

Just for fun, I ordered one from GGI to use in my P320FS .40. Bruce said it had not been tested or designed for .40. Ordered three Wolff 1911 springs from Wolff (17, 18.5, 20). My testing showed it functioned fine with all three springs using my reloads. However, had slightly less muzzle rise with the factory dual-spring RSA.

Regardless, it seems odd the OP GR setup should be causing a problem. Easy to diagnose though. I'm unclear as to whether the two changes referenced by the OP were the ONLY changes made.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post