SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P210 carry?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P210 carry? Login/Join 
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
Not to mention the AL frame will turn off collectors and one has no idea of this model’s service life + long term accuracy. That price with the traditional steel frame might work.

I dunno. They've only been making "go to war" grade aluminum-framed single stack 9mm pistols for the last 45 years - and the oldest, slimmest lightest P220 in 9mm I own still feels at least mildly overengineered for the 9mm. I'm all for arguing the price down, but is an aluminum frame really some kind of deal-breaker?

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
quote:
Not to mention the AL frame will turn off collectors and one has no idea of this model’s service life + long term accuracy. That price with the traditional steel frame might work.

I dunno. They've only been making "go to war" grade aluminum-framed single stack 9mm pistols for the last 45 years - and the oldest, slimmest lightest P220 in 9mm I own still feels at least mildly overengineered for the 9mm. I'm all for arguing the price down, but is an aluminum frame really some kind of deal-breaker?

You're assuming that I'm comparing the P210 with the Go-to-War P-series of firearms with my remark. I'm not. I have time and again in this thread compared it to the original, all-steel P210 and you can't say that an aluminum frame will hold up as well. You pay for what you get and I don't see $1300 worth of pistol. Nor is it worth $1K IMHO given other potential purchases.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
quote:

You're assuming that I'm comparing the P210 with the Go-to-War P-series of firearms with my remark. I'm not. I have time and again in this thread compared it to the original, all-steel P210 and you can't say that an aluminum frame will hold up as well. You pay for what you get and I don't see $1300 worth of pistol. Nor is it worth $1K IMHO given other potential purchases.

Nor is the P210 the ideal carry pistol in todays day and age for most people, whether it be steel or aluminum.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Jimmy... You're right, there's much better choices.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Feel like I could get a 225a1for half the price and still be in the family.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Allow me to be one of those people:

Yet again. I came here to post a shut up and take my money Gif of this p210 carry. Only to find a bunch of nay sayers.

Gentlemen (and ladies among you) give. Me. A break.

If you have never shot a p210 I highly encourage you to find someone and shoot it. If you are in south Florida, send me an email. You can shoot my legend. One of the finest things I own.

We buy guns for many different reasons. Why does there always have to be some specific “reason”.

This new offering is awesome, something many of us have wanted for a long time, you don’t like it? Don’t buy it, but don’t bitch that they are coming out with new stuff.

What would be better? “Oh more rainbow bright edition!”

I’m a buyer. Thank you sig.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2506 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
you can't say that an aluminum frame will hold up as well.

I'm perfectly willing to believe that, but I haven't seen a whole lot of worn-out aluminum frames. And don't get me wrong - I'm not arguing for the price SIG would like to charge. I just don't think there's anything wrong with the pistol itself or that it's somehow "not a P210" just because it has an aluminum frame.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Perpetual Student
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just don't think there's anything wrong with the pistol itself or that it's somehow "not a P210" just because it has an aluminum frame.

Or that "not a P210" is reason enough to curse that this model might be offered. If I were interested in buying what a P210 has always been, I'd have one. They're available.

I'm interested in a P210 that has never been to date. A carry pistol with some refinement. Something that is designed around the 9mm (to stand apart from those 9mm offerings in the 1911). And the fact that others would bemoan that this version has an aluminum frame while at the same time saying the criticism is not one of practical durability shows that the real issue here is the P210 name: "It's not a real P210."

I don't base my purchases on the need to defend a model's good name. And I don't stress over which new products a company decides to offer. For the record, I'd be surprised if this model was produced for very long. All the more reason the second I come across one it'll be sold.

Posts: 2460 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: May 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A shortened carry version of the P210 with an aluminium frame is blasphemy!
O well, SIG USA already f*ed up the P210.

Posts: 62 | Registered: January 02, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I feel empathy for poor young 210 Carry. He’s always going to be judged in comparison to his granddaddy. He’ll thus always perceive himself as not worthy.

By the tender age of 14, he will have been in / out of rehab numerous times, convicted of petty crimes and living in an abandoned building, whoring for his next meal or fix.

I hope you people realize the burden of shame that you have heaped on this young lad’s shoulders!

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
39 oz sounds wrong for Carry. My Standard with steel frame (sans grips and mag) weighs 33 oz. I will be curious to see the Carry. And the G10 grips.

Posts: 287 | Registered: November 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fnforme
posted Hide Post
I'm very excited for this and have been anxiously awaiting the carry and even hoped it would have an aluminum frame.

Posts: 3419 | Location: Miami, FL | Registered: April 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Won't fly for the same reason the P239 is extinct.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8851 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Well, there are folks who do carry a 1911. They don't complain about it. Nor do they buy aluminum frame (the same thing beer cans are made from) guns. It's OK with me either way.

I do have a P210. I have carried it concealed from time to time over the last 20 years. I doubt I'll live 20 more, but I do plan on carrying mine again for that purpose. The rationale is pretty simple. If I need it to defend my life, I want the very best gun I own. And the P210 is that. Yes, SIG Neuhausen from the early 1970s. My only complaint is that its not a -1 bright blue gun. It fits a Galco holster made for a 1911. It hides just fine there. The weight isn't a problem for me. And I can shoot it all day long without pain because its substantial enough to absorb recoil. Its a good gun. Bet you can't say that about an aluminum one. At least until they've been out and shot for a while. Say like 30 or 40 years.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who wears out a gun? Aluminum, steel or polymer.
If you're shooting that much, I would think you could afford a replacement if you do.
I wish I shot enough to wear out a gun.

Everybody knows that the dice are loaded

Posts: 368 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcs1564
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FHHM213:
‘Can you imagine someone paying close to $1000 for a single-stack 9mm with an alloy frame?’

Given the existing number of 9mm 1911’s, shouldn’t that question be posed to other makers too? Dan Wesson seems to readily sell its Vigil Commander, for example.

^^^^This^^^^

There’s plenty of alloy 1911’s. Colt’s been making an alloy Commander in 9mm since what 1950??

I’ve been interested in the Carry model ever since the initial P210A announcement. While my preference would have been a steel frame, Aluminum won’t discourage me from taking a look.

The trigger bar issue I had with a 210A Target and the current guide rod/recoil spring issues is what will give me pause.

Hopefully, the Carry slide will fit the Standard without issue...

------------
SP2022 - 9mm

Posts: 1260 | Location: CT | Registered: January 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Perpetual Student
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLC762:
Who wears out a gun? Aluminum, steel or polymer.
If you're shooting that much, I would think you could afford a replacement if you do.
I wish I shot enough to wear out a gun.

An argument that would be laughed out of this forum if it were leveled at the classic SIG line is suddenly valid when speaking about the venerated and vaunted P210.

You are, of course, correct. Try to wear one out. You'll spend many times the cost of the gun in ammo.

Posts: 2460 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: May 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NoQuota
posted Hide Post
Exactly!

I never heard anyone complaining about the aluminum frames on their P226 or P229?

How man Law Enforcement Officers, and military personnel carry them?

Has anyone ever heard of one of them being worn out?

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Posts: 597 | Location: St Augustine, FL | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Carry, but no ambi safety? No worky for me. Target is OK since it's a range toy. But the carry grips might be nice...

Posts: 4713 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Here's the thing about the 1911 and the P210. And, aluminum or steel has nothing to do with it.

The 1911 has over 100 years of history and is showing no diminished enthusiasm. There tons of 1911 makers out there, and parts support is limitless. It's not going away anywhere anytime soon. If one maker, or even ten, goes out of business, who cares. Folks don't have to worry about it, because support of it will still be plenty around. And, the gun can be had by anyone, from folks with limited budget to those with millions to throw around.

Now, the P210 has what, over 50 years of history? Most of the guns are Swiss. Sure, there are many that were exported to other countries, but most remained in Switzerland. The gun remains prohibitively expensive, hence out of reach for most shooters. It was discontinued in 2005. How is that parts support working out for current owners of the Swiss guns in the US? Original parts are hard to find and you'll have to pay through the nose.

The gun was reintroduced in 2009 by SIG DE in the Legend, and subsequently, the Super Target, but again, they are quite expensive. And, parts are not interchangeable with the Swiss P210, and, if you need service and parts for the German P210, good luck going on Brownells or TGS and pick the parts out. How many reputable gunsmiths in the US work on the P210, compared to the 1911?

Now, with SIG USA making the P210 American (Target and Standard), and now, maybe the Carry, that are much more affordable, the problem remains. Parts are not interchangeable with the Euro P210s. And, with a very limited fan base (compared to the 1911), how long do you think SIG is going to keep in the lineup. Once it's discontinued, which is likely pretty soon, how long will SIG service your guns with their limited parts supply?

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post