SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P220 Carry- To add a full-sized upper?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P220 Carry- To add a full-sized upper? Login/Join 
posted
Hello All,

I got a P220 Carry Stainless Elite for a good [for me] price. It shoots VERY well!

When I bought it [consignment shelf], I didn't realize it was a 'carry', as I am not all that familiar with the P220.

I was a tad disappointed, but ok with it and no animosity for the lack of clear label.

I also have less than stellar eyesight for close range.

I think, short of special shooting bifocal glasses, I am probably at a stage of my life where accuracy will be self-defense based. As in, 8 rounds in a group that is within the palm of my hand, at 10 yards.

About 10 years ago I'd occassionally get 8 rounds into a half-dollar size [on my top-end 1911].

I state all of this because I was wondering whether there was any significant benefit to my P220 by purchasing a stainless .45 upper with the factory 4.4" slide/barrel length?

The extra .5" will not make the front sight any sharper for me.

Is there any noteworthy inherent accuracy gains by moving to the longer slide/barrel on my frame?

I kind of like that the current barrel is the same length as my P225 [original W.German made].

Yet, if there is a considerable gain potential in the longer top end- maybe I should try to track down a caliber xchange to the full sized top end.

Thanks for your insights.

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 684 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Amat victoria curam
Picture of i8mtm
posted Hide Post
I am a huge fan of the P-220 series,

I *prefer* the Carry over the Standard. It balances better for me and mine have been incredibly accurate.

I think you are overthinking this. I suggest taking your carry and going to a range that also rents a full-size P220 to try them side by side.

I have both, love both, but I *carry* a P220 Carry.

Cheers,

~i8mtm

Posts: 486 | Location: Eastern PA | Registered: August 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Carry model is a keeper. I have it in the Legion series and it is the last gun I will ever get rid of.

Posts: 370 | Location: Williamsburg, VA,  | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
The extra .5" will not make the front sight any sharper for me.

That's always my first argument for a longer slide, and we all lose that argument as our eyesight gets worse over time. Given that you're working with a steel slide, it seems unlikely that the extra half inch in front will have a significant effect on the way the pistol recoils for you.

quote:
Is there any noteworthy inherent accuracy gains by moving to the longer slide/barrel on my frame?

Screw "inherent" accuracy. I prefer the Match because I shoot it more accurately than I do a standard 220. This despite the fact that Wiley Clapp showed in an article that both the Standard and Carry deliver better accuracy from a machine rest than does a Match. The moral of the story, IMHO? Go with what you actually shoot best.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
Well, I have both. I find no accuracy gain in the 220 over its Carry cousin. I shoot the Carry well, because I practice with it. I am 60 yo with crappy eyesight and prescription shooting glasses (but I am really handsome.) Roll Eyes

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Bunch of P220s. The two most accurate ones are carrys. They also seem to balance better than the stainless slide full size. The weight is more over your hand, not as muzzle heavy.

Posts: 1642 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post