SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Century Beretta Model 71 .22
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Century Beretta Model 71 .22 Login/Join 
posted
Hello- I am waiting for my new toy to arrive. I will remove the fake suppressor as soon as it arrives, and am getting thread protectors for it.

Does anyone here have experience with these pistols? Any tips and advice? It will be my first Beretta. Eventually I will look at the larger caliber Berettas, but for now I am looking to reduce the cost of ammo so I can shoot more frequently.

Thanks

Dan

There is something good and motherly about Washington, the grand old benevolent National Asylum for the helpless.
- Mark Twain The Gilded Age

#CNNblackmail #CNNmemewar

Posts: 706 | Location: Seacoast in USA | Registered: September 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everything I have heard about these is pretty positive. I am hoping to pick one up soon as well. Original mags are rare and expensive but reports indicate the triple k brand mags work fine ( most of the products they sell are junk generally) the only complaint I have heard is that some don't shoot to point of aim (generally high) and people have been adding in weld to front sights to bring up the poi

Posts: 3288 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These are great deals--very reliable guns. When you remove the "suppressor", you will find that the importer cut away about half the front sight, and it's a sharp cutter!

In NY, threaded barrels are illegal, so the threads had to go. The front sight is installed in a lengthwise dovetail--I had a gunsmith make and install one from scratch.

Good luck!

Tim

"Dead Midgets Handled With No Questions Asked"

Posts: 687 | Registered: March 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I have one that I had the fake suppressor removed from, then installed a thread adapter and I run it suppressed. I've never had a failure with it. It is my favorite .22

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
DJ, congrats on your first Beretta. My 70s (steel frame) is a favorite. Blackagnes, that's good work on the front sight.

Posts: 3519 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
My 71 had a tack welded sight on it, nothing like that dovetail.

I had the weird threads cut off and an adapter made that mounts flush vs. the normal thread conversion adapter most people use on these. Downside is the tacked on front sight had to go but no big deal....it was useless with the can mounted anyways.

I also found a spare slide and barrel for a tri-tone look (coyotekiller did the refinish).

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:

......the only complaint I have heard is that some don't shoot to point of aim (generally high) and people have been adding in weld to front sights to bring up the poi

It is only the Model 70S with the adjustable rear sight that has this "problem". Only the faux suppressor modified Model 71 is being imported by Century Arms. It has the fixed "combat" rear sight and it quite accurate.

You are gonna love your CAI Model 71....after you remove the fake suppressor!

Posts: 63 | Location: Fort Myers, Florida  | Registered: January 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BlackAgnes:
In NY, threaded barrels are illegal, so the threads had to go. The front sight is installed in a lengthwise dovetail--I had a gunsmith make and install one from scratch.

Looks nice -- can I ask where in NY you are and who the gunsmith was? (You can PM me if you don't want to post it here.)

Posts: 842 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! BlackAgnes- that does look great. What does the work you had done cost if you don't mind? I probably never will run it with a suppressor, and I am trying 2 different thread protectors, a knurled one and a smooth one that is for a 10-22 tapered barrel. I am not keen on either really, and like the aesthetics of what you have.

There is something good and motherly about Washington, the grand old benevolent National Asylum for the helpless.

Posts: 706 | Location: Seacoast in USA | Registered: September 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
toivo-- check your email.

"Dead Midgets Handled With No Questions Asked"

Posts: 687 | Registered: March 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BlackAgnes:
toivo-- check your email.

Thanks, got the info. Much appreciated!

Posts: 842 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello- I will post pictures as soon as I can remove the huge weight at the end of the barrel. I bought it on Buds, and they shipped promptly. It is now sitting the the FL waiting period jail. Judging by the serial number, it was made in 1979 and it looks great aside from a couple scuffs on the plastic grips.

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Cool! Would you mind measuring the front sight height from the barrel when you get it? I need to possibly trim the front sight on my spare 70 barrel to match the fixed rear sight.

posted Hide Post
Hello- I don't have calipers to measure them properly for you but will get it as accurate as possible in mm if that works for you.

You're lucky to have a spare barrel. they are literally hen's teeth to the point someone on the beretta forum suggested a group buy on a barrel blank and a smith to turn out as many as possible. who knows, that may be a future project for me when I have time to learn new things like that.

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Thanks! Technically speaking, I have two spare barrels...so that luck squared

posted Hide Post
I have the original shorter barrel as well as the longer target barrel. This is a great gun witn a lot of history.

The story goes that the Israeli Mossad used these guns to "take out" members of the Black September Organization that had murdered members of the Israeli Olympic team in Germany!

Posts: 55 | Location: CT | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Made it always twice..pfum...pfum

Sword of Gideon
https://youtu.be/lM4h4TsEDqE

Posts: 3519 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I must be on a Beretta run. I just won this 84BB:

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/645306564

can't wait until that arrives now too!

posted Hide Post
quote:
I must be on a Beretta run. I just won this 84BB:

Great find. IMO the BB is the best of the 84's. My 84BB & my 6" Beretta Jaguar will be never be sold.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4266 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Found this one several years with two barrels and the original box. Had to buy an original magazine for only $100 (Frown). Have Triple K magazines that actually work. For some reason, the sight on the short barrel has been lowered a lot. I need to get a gun smith to raise it to the same height of the sight on the long barrel. Great gun for fun at the range.

Trooper Joe

Posts: 417 | Location: Michigan | Registered: September 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post