SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    THE HORROR OF A 10 POUND DOUBLE ACTION TRIGGER!!! DA/SA OHH THE HUGE MANATEE!!!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

THE HORROR OF A 10 POUND DOUBLE ACTION TRIGGER!!! DA/SA OHH THE HUGE MANATEE!!! Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
My first few guns were striker fired. Canik, M&P and Glock. Only glock didn't win my heart.
Then out of curiosity I purchased the P-07.
Long story short, striker fired SA are gone and and I love shooting my DA/SA.
I qualified with it at my local range with 8 shots in A|C area (USPSA target @ 7 yards 6 on A and 2 on C) under 4 seconds with first shot as DA.
I'm anywhere near being a good shooter so only thing this proves that some people just can't shoot.

Posts: 25 | Location: Sunny Flats. | Registered: October 02, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
My experience has been the opposite of many younger shooters. I learned DA/SA and didn't do much with single action or striker until after I'd been shooting for years.

When the M17 filters down past combat arms I will probably convert wholesale and just carry a 320...but I don't know that I'll ever wind up selling my Legions or DA revolvers, and there will probably always be an M9 in the safe for nostalgia's sake.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
I "grew up" shooting a standard DA/SA automatic. I was never really good at that first DA shot until I bought my first revolver. It made me a much better shooter. I actually prefer DAO autos now they are so easy to shoot good.

I grew up shooting classic SIGs. I guess I'm too dumb to know better. Won limited and second overall two matches in a row at our little club match of 25 people with a 226. I'm content with my dinosaur guns.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
There are many internet myths that won't die surrounding the DA/SA pistol. And most are kept alive intentionally by people that don't like the DA shot because they suck at it, therefore, it is the fault of the pistol and not their shining lack of skill.

Some are insistent to the point that they write cute little stuff in their signature lines that 5 pounds is different that 12. I'm not sure what that accomplishes. You must learn the first shot on the press out, and the DA shot is actually a whole lot more forgiving when it comes to accuracy, over some of the other offerings.

If you are going to stand with the gun at arms length, stare at the target, and slap through the trigger in a hurry, you will suck less with a striker offering. Pretty simple. If you are going to shoot proactively, there is no difference in the two and the DA/SA gun isn't harder, nor does it take more time to learn.

The guys that insist otherwise, well, there just isn't any sense in replying to them. They will manufacture 1000 excuses on why they can't do it, and it will never be their fault, always the fault of an external factor that is made up.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
That DA first shot also has a margin of error that you could call a safety built in. It serves two purposes in my opinion. It allows the expert or novice to stage or prep the first shot and be highly effective with it. At the same time it allows for a margin of error for someone under stress that a striker does not. The bashing does get old quick. There are pros and cons to every trigger type. One is simply not superior to another.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
^yep

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
That DA first shot also has a margin of error that you could call a safety built in. It serves two purposes in my opinion. It allows the expert or novice to stage or prep the first shot and be highly effective with it. At the same time it allows for a margin of error for someone under stress that a striker does not. The bashing does get old quick. There are pros and cons to every trigger type. One is simply not superior to another.

I learned/mastered the DA/SA because I didn't have a choice. I was issued them in combat zones on 3 different occasions.

I went DA/SA on my personal guns for what you wrote above. A little more margin of error under stress with a longer and heavier first pull. Still maintains a simple manual of arms (like a striker), especially getting into operation...just pull the trigger.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I think it was Dirty Harry that said "A man's got to know his limitations."

I'm not my best with DA/SA or DAO but I don't let it stop me from enjoying them.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I own and shoot all kinds of pistols for fun, but striker fired is a no brainer for serious use. Perhaps if the government or a sponsor picked up my ammo bills I could think differently, in the mean time I will take every advantage I can get.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think that many people who don't like the stock DA trigger on the average store bought gun, would have a different opinion after shooting a P-Series Sig, that had the Grayguns P-PAK installed. The weight of the pull is reduced slightly, and super smooth, and the reset is ridiculously short! (just as short as my Dan Wesson A2 1911).

Granted, this work isn't cheap, but everyone I've let dry-fire my 226 that I just got back from GG, has been blown away at how nice the trigger feels, both DA & SA.

Posts: 198 | Location: SE Louisiana  | Registered: August 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
I own and shoot all kinds of pistols for fun, but striker fired is a no brainer for serious use. Perhaps if the government or a sponsor picked up my ammo bills I could think differently, in the mean time I will take every advantage I can get.

Not sure I really understand this? (I'm totally cool with choosing strikers over DA/SA of course, I'll use whatever I have or am issued). Whatever your serious use action type is, it shouldn't require additional practice ammo based on the action type. I don't find it at all harder to shoot my DA/SA as opposed to a striker, or after a long hiatus from shooting, nor do I need more rds per session.

This is assuming one actually builds the skills to efficiently run a DA/SA in the first place. If you have the right instruction on how to run a DA/SA, it takes no more ammo to become (and remain) proficient with it than any other. I think most people never get the right instruction in the first place. Heck, in the Army I still hear NCOs advising soldiers to either dump the DA rd in the dirt or cock the hammer 1st.

Put another way, attend a 2-3 day defensive handgun class with either a DA/SA or a striker, you should be just as capable with the one you picked afterwards (having shot the exact same round count) provided the instruction was up to par. I held my own with the top shooters in my Gunsite 250 class (mostly SWAT cops running 1911's) with my P226. I don't shoot that much (don't have dept. paid ammo) and don't compete, so I didn't outmatch them in skill and experience.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
quote:

10LB DA trigger pull is for little girls. Man up and use an 18LB trigger

I have HKs. Razz

That made me chuckle. You want heavy DA? Try an HK or two.

Posts: 59 | Registered: January 22, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
I learned on a revolver. I can still stage the hammer and cylinder, and drop the hammer in DA as well as I can in SA. I like DA/SA pistols, and I like Glocks for some things. What always bothers me is that, when reholstering without looking, I don't have a hammer to ride for safety.If I keep my thumb on the back plate of a Glock slide, I'm not making it safer, I'm just keeping it in battery.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
I think most people never get the right instruction in the first place. Heck, in the Army I still hear NCOs advising soldiers to either dump the DA rd in the dirt or cock the hammer 1st.

Exactly, many people don't even get the benefit of government training and ammo supply. Combined with a generation of firearm demonization and lots of people come to the hobby with no instruction from their family.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
I think most people never get the right instruction in the first place. Heck, in the Army I still hear NCOs advising soldiers to either dump the DA rd in the dirt or cock the hammer 1st.

Exactly, many people don't even get the benefit of government training and ammo supply. Combined with a generation of firearm demonization and lots of people come to the hobby with no instruction from their family.

Thats where people likeour own JJ, Ernest Langdon, and such come in. I remember buying my first sportbike nearly 20 years ago. I had taken MSF beginner and experienced courses, and still managed to put it down (minor low slide) while breaking into a hard right turn at speed. It's a fine line using the front brake while leaning over. I knew immediately after I picked myself up that I needed more training and started going to the track. Each track day was like a full year on the street. From beginner to novice to slow expert was quick. Firearms is the same. One day with a solid instructor will be more than you can do shooting paper every weekend for a year. The intelligent will toss their ego aside and go get additional training. The unintelligent or cocky will not. You cannot have too much training.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
10LB DA trigger pull is for little girls. Man up and use an 18LB trigger.

The Interarms Walther PPK/S .380 is your kind of pistol. I have one. Makes me really appreciate the trigger of my SIG P238.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8851 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The trigger squeeze/pull/press (whatever you want to call it) needs to be smooth and controlled while maintaining sight alignment whether you are shooting a 1911, a TDA, or a DA revolver. IMO, that is one aspect of the shot that is worth slowing down, just a bit, to do right.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:You cannot have too much proper training.

FIFY.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just point the boom stick at the target with some semblance of a sight picture and pull the little metal stick straight back to the frame. I do it exactly the same no matter what trigger I run.

If you mastered the DA, then pick up a striker and do the exact same thing. It will be magic. It might just move a little farther.

If you mastered a striker the pick up a DA and do the same thing. It will be magic. It just might move a little less.

Once you get past the design differences. They are only different in use if you choose to make them different. I would say stop thinking about it. Just pick up the boom stick, kind of align the sights, and pull the little metal or plastic stick straight back. It will be magic.

Posts: 204 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
So full disclosure. I had my P220 and HK45C out tonight and the 45c trigger is a beast. I need to work with it more. Certainly not put the first one in the dirt bad but definitely one where I just need to find a front sight and pull. Trying to finesse it is not where it’s at. Great little .45 though. Generally speaking I shoot much better shooting faster / front sight pull vs going slow and trying to finesse groups.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post