SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    THE HORROR OF A 10 POUND DOUBLE ACTION TRIGGER!!! DA/SA OHH THE HUGE MANATEE!!!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

THE HORROR OF A 10 POUND DOUBLE ACTION TRIGGER!!! DA/SA OHH THE HUGE MANATEE!!! Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
Sorry for the hyperbole but I have been watching some YouTube videos of folks getting back into or into for the first time hammer fired DA/SA stuff.

I guess I am officially an old guy shooter and dammit I’m not really old. I have to chuckle at all these folks having to learn DA/SA. I grew up with SIGs and revolvers. With revolvers I shoot them DA only about 98% of the time. So the whole DA or DA/SA thing always makes me chuckle.

Are strikers easier to learn. Heck yeah. But come on new shooters. Learn the fundamentals and you will be able to fundamentally shoot anything.

Sometime I feel like folks think I am picking up a cap and ball revolver if I run a Beretta 92. Big Grin

I like striker fired guns as much as the next guy but there are a ton of different platforms out there in the wide wide world of sports and a double action hammer fired trigger ain’t exactly a staple gun or VP70.

Now get off my lawn.....mumblemumbledamnkidsandtheirGlocks. Smile

I like Glocks too.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I feel ya. First pistol I owned was a revolver. Learned DA pull and went from there.
As if now, I own 3 pistols. 1 striker fired and 2 Sigs. I do have 2 revolvers but both are unfired and very collectable so they won't be shot at all.
First love was DA and I'm still there.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I "grew up" shooting a standard DA/SA automatic. I was never really good at that first DA shot until I bought my first revolver. It made me a much better shooter. I actually prefer DAO autos now they are so easy to shoot good.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
10LB DA trigger pull is for little girls. Man up and use an 18LB trigger.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:

10LB DA trigger pull is for little girls. Man up and use an 18LB trigger

I have HKs. Razz

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Eh? A good ten pound trigger on a 22X is as sweet as a nut!

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just an ACARS message
with feelings
Picture of qxsoup
posted Hide Post
The loudest complainers are always Glock shooters who never take the time to learn anything else. TDA takes a while to learn and people are too damn impatient to give it time. They expect it to be just like a Glock... Pick it up and go.

My very first pistol was a P220 and I am sooooo glad that I had no choice but to learn TDA.

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

Posts: 3062 | Location: The Queen City (the one in Ohio) | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was learning to use firearms to fight, I was told and believed that I should pretty much have a working knowledge of a wide variety of weapons and the ability to use them. I have always wanted to be able to pick up a handgun at random and get defensive accuracy at 7 yards.

I guess we need to make guns more like x-box controllers.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
The DA trigger pull on my Radom P64 is the heaviest I have ever personally dealt with. it has to be 20+ pounds.

The SA is not bad at all.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Now that they don't have to, why should they bother. This is one of, but not the only reason, poly-striker guns are squeezing out most of the other designs.

quote:
Originally posted by qxsoup:
The loudest complainers are always Glock shooters who never take the time to learn anything else. TDA takes a while to learn and people are too damn impatient to give it time. They expect it to be just like a Glock... Pick it up and go.

My very first pistol was a P220 and I am sooooo glad that I had no choice but to learn TDA.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Amen. Shaddup snowflakes! Big Grin

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised by the frequent posts regarding "how to learn/adapt" to DA/SA or DA only, or anything BUT striker fired, etc.

ADAPT! OVERCOME! End of story.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Not what I was saying. Strikers have distinct advantages and I have no problem with them. I am a student of the Gun if you will. I enjoy all platforms.

I was merely chuckling at how many folks bemoan non striker triggers as being this YUUUGGGEE learning curve or detriment. I for one am amazed the world protected itself before the shooting community fully embraced striker fired actions. (Not that they are a new thing just that they had not taken the world by storm until the late late 20th century early 21st)

posted Hide Post
I will now go and fondle my ancient S&W 39 and its "unmanageable" DA/SA trigger.
What was Gaston making in 1970?
And thanks to this thread I now have three Glocks. Just traded my G43 for a P239.
Which is DA/SA!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree and have never understood the learning curve. I don't shoot all that often but when I do it's mostly about trigger control whether it be an sa revolver, 1911, striker or one of my many sig da/sa. These new shooters and this talk of the difficulty of learning a new platform reminds me of when I hear people say they can't cook it's to difficult and I don't have time to learn, I'm going to buy a pre-packed meal kit. This probably isn't the best analogy but I like it.

It's kids like you, who make this bus late.

Posts: 884 | Location: Weirton,WV | Registered: April 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
Having the skill to manage a DA trigger makes you a better shooter - period.

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve got an old H&R .22 revolver that’s got a da pull that might require the thrust of a Saturn V rocket to pull but the single action ain’t half bad. There are some truly bad da triggers out there but most modern semi autos aren’t that bad, surely not as horrible as the devoted striker fired crowd makes them out to be. And they seem completely unaware of the safety benefits a da trigger has in a cc situation.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Now that they don't have to, why should they bother. This is one of, but not the only reason, poly-striker guns are squeezing out most of the other designs.

quote:
Originally posted by qxsoup:

When it comes to 'bothering', I've often come to the same conclusion especially now where the market is absolutely dominated by striker designs. I've been shooting DA/SA for about a decade now and have gotten reasonably competent doing so, but frankly it offers me few if any advantages when I get back to my Glocks that I depend upon, aside from probably making the muscles that control my trigger finger a bit stronger and more smooth and fluid in motion. Which in improving the operating of any of my Glock triggers that I forever rely upon is a questionable benefit at best.

In this past decade where I've added a variety of handguns of differing action and trigger types, for me the only real plus aspect about shooting these guns has been the experiencing of a variety of different systems and techniques, which I suppose horizon expansion is worth something. But if in a parallel universe I hadn't been tempted by that first P229R I'd also say that I'd likely have quite a bit more money in the bank and ultimately been the better for it. Then again I probably would never have discovered SIGForum, and that would have been a shame.

Strikers will forever rule my destiny, no matter how much I like to take my Mk25 or M9A3 out for a spin. I honestly don't think that any of those thousands of rounds through DA/SA guns these past 10 years have made me a better shooter of striker pistols. Shooting thousands of rounds through strikers has done far more for my skills with Glocks and similar types. Besides, if I wanted to get better shooting a gun with a long trigger pull, I actually don't have to look beyond a striker anyways (Ruger LC9S). Or just put in a NY trigger in a Glock if a workout with a nasty, heavy trigger break becomes a thing that needs reckoning with.

Yeah, strikers DO rule. Razz Smile

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
<SNIP>
I guess I am officially an old guy shooter and dammit I’m not really old. I have to chuckle at all these folks having to learn DA/SA. I grew up with SIGs and revolvers. With revolvers I shoot them DA only about 98% of the time. So the whole DA or DA/SA thing always makes me chuckle.
<SNIP>

Yep, they sound just like the "know-it-all" AR youngsters that have never shot anything but a Giselle trigger!

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger: I am a student of the Gun if you will. I enjoy all platforms.

Sums up my feelings also.

Posts: 779 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post