SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Looking at the P320 X-Carry Pro vs X-Compact
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking at the P320 X-Carry Pro vs X-Compact Login/Join 
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted
I'm looking at buying a P320 to play with and perhaps carry on duty some day. I'm stuck right now between the P320 X-Carry Pro and the new X-Compact.

From what I've seen the X-Compact has a shorter slide, barrel and dustcover than a Glock 19 and cannot accept a Surefire X300, which isn't a deal breaker, but is a negative. It does seem to have a better grip module design (except for the brevity of the dustcover) than the X-Carry.

The X-Carry to me has the perfect size slide, barrel and dustcover, but has a larger less refined grip.

So which one to buy? I'm leaning towards the X-Carry Pro and hoping that SIG comes out with an X-Compact-style grip module for it soon.

Any thoughts?

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4191 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
Before the Xcompact grip module became available I had an Xcarry grip module cut down to the 15 round capacity. Maintained the same dustcover and ability for a light. Might still be the best option. I really like my Xcompact grip module for carry, because I don't carry with a light.

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got a carry earlier this week and liked it so much that I got a compact yesterday. I’m not sure which I like most but I don’t think you can go wrong with ether. Just pick the one that fits you better.

Posts: 105 | Location: United States | Registered: May 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
Get the grip modules and try both out. Much cheaper that way to get some trigger time with both.

Posts: 1625 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just got a two tone P320 XCarry two tone. It is nice.

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an early P320 with the original takedown lever and the larger slide stop levers. It wasn't a problem in the original frame, nor in the x-carry, but when I went to the x-compact frame, I had early slide lockdbacks when shooting with almost every magazine.

It didn't take a lot to figure out that it was shooter-induced malfunction, and with a little experimentation, I found that with the original grip frame, my hands rested relative to the slide stop release differently, so it wasn't a problem. In the x-carry frame, the backstrap is sider in the web of my hand, forcing the thumb outward, with no contact on the slide stop relese.

The x-compact frame is a bit more contoured, narrower in the web area, allowing my forefinger and thumb to rest alongside the slide more comfortably, and allowing me to fatfinger (fatthumb) the slide stop. I fixed it by swapping out the new style slide stop release lever, which is smaller and sits higher.

I really like the x-compact frame. I have a few more on order. One will go on my P320 subcompact, which is the slide length for the present x-compact pistol that Sig is selling. Their x-compact pistol is actually a subcompact slide on a compact frame.

When I put the compact slide on the x-compact grip module, the slide extends a bit past the grip module, which is fine; the slide dust cover extends back enough to overlap the gripframe dustcover, and the combo works in a P320 holster just fine.

I like the x-frame magwell contour; without needing an aftermarket magwell, it makes mag insertion easy.

So far, I'm really liking the x-compact frame. I'm waiting for an FDE one to transfer my FDE slide to, when one is released. In the meantime, I have several others to install the x-grip on, and they're each getting flat triggers at the same time. I don't do carry optics, so I have no need to a provision to attach one.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
I stated with the 320 Compact and got the X-Carry with the intention of cutting it down to Compact size for use in IDPA Compact Carry Pistol (CCP) division...it points so much better than the original grip module. Then I heard about the X-Compact coming out and held off.

In the meantime I got the RX Compact slide, when SIG had it on sale, and mounted it on the X-Carry to use in IDPA Carry Optical (CO) division.

I didn't realize that the X-Compact was only going to initially be available with the Small size grip module. I'm now looking at getting another X-Carry and cutting it down to the Compact size...it is only .25"

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
I'm starting to think since I like the slide length of the Carry I should probably just get that and hope SIG figures it out and offers an X-Compact-style frame that works well with Carry length slide.

Posts: 4191 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I like the size of my X Compact better. I put Tarran (sp?) mag extensions on my magazines and boom it holds 17 + 1.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
So far, I haven't seen duty holsters for the Subcompact-length slide on the X-Compact. But they do make duty holsters for the Compact/Carry-length slides like on the X-Carry.

About a month ago, I switched from my issued G17 to a personal P320 as my duty gun. I've been carrying a P320 Compact with X-Carry grip on duty, and then swapping in an X-Compact grip when I need something slightly more concealable and don't need a light. It's been working well.

(But if they ever come out with an X-Compact grip with a normal Carry/Compact-length rail so I can use a TLR-1HL light on it, I'll just use that grip all the time.)

Even with the slightly shorter rail, the Compact slide with X-Compact grip fits perfectly in every Compact/Carry holster I've tried, including kydex, leather, duty and concealed.

So I'd suggest getting the X-Carry Pro, and picking up a separate X-Compact grip module to install for times when you need something with a slightly smaller and more concealable grip.

Duty:

Off Duty/Concealed Duty:

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:

I didn't realize that the X-Compact was only going to initially be available with the Small size grip module.

Mine are medium.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:

I didn't realize that the X-Compact was only going to initially be available with the Small size grip module.

Presently the x-compact grip frame is only offered in a medium.

True, it's marked M for Medium. But the X-Compact grip is closer to the standard Small in size.

The X-Carry grip is also a Medium, but is noticeably thicker.

(I don't have exact dimensions, but perhaps someone else does.)

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The x-compact grip is definitely a bit more contoured around the top the backstrap, where it sits in the web of the hand, and does feel a bit smaller. In my hand, my thumb and forefinger lay alongside the grip module of the x-grip when holding it. In the x-carry, it's a bit thicker and pushes my thumb in particular outward so it doesn't lay against the grip frame.

By comparison to my small size P320 grip frame, the x-compact is larger, thicker. I have a small size grip frame on a subcompact, and its out of proportion to the pistol. I have an x-compact grip frame coming to put on the subcompact slide.

The compact slide in an x-compact grip frame feels like a P229 to me.

I have an x-carry frame from grayguns that was lasered-down ("sculpted"). It's grippy, and just enough was removed that it fees more like the x-compact frame in terms of being a bit more trim, a bit smaller. Given that it's the same x-carry frame as any other, just trimmed slightly, it suggests to me that the x-compact frame isn't much different. You're right though: it's noticeable.

The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
Been pondering this all weekend.

I think I'm going to sell some stuff and buy P320 X-Carry Pro and a P365 (I should have bought the P365 a couple months ago when I bought a G42 I'll never use instead...oh well).

When the will is strong, everything is easy
Picture of celticwolf
posted Hide Post
Bought an X Carry Pro yesterday. Waiting on X Compact grip module.

I am hoping I can find an ACRO mount soon, as I have a gunsite 250 Pistol course coming up in July.

I really like the iron sights, which is ironic since I purposely bought this to put an optic on.

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of
avoiding reality." Ayn Rand

Posts: 2125 | Location: AZ | Registered: April 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sig really needs to come out with a large size X-Compact grip module asap, I believe the current medium size is a little on the small size for most people. Also add a manual thumb safety option for those that prefer it.

Posts: 388 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biggy:
Sig really needs to come out with a large size X-Compact grip module asap, I believe the current medium size is a little on the small size for most people. Also add a manual thumb safety option for those that prefer it.

I am waiting for a Large version myself. It is so much easier to be accurate with the proper sized grip.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgp357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:

Presently the x-compact grip frame is only offered in a medium.

True, it's marked M for Medium. But the X-Compact grip is closer to the standard Small in size.

The X-Carry grip is also a Medium, but is noticeably thicker.

(I don't have exact dimensions, but perhaps someone else does.)

I did some quick measurements and from the thickest part, looks to be 2" back to front for the X Compact and 2.25" for the X-Carry. I'm just now getting my hands on the X Compact so wanted to see what people were saying.

Small Gun Parts
www.smallgunparts.com

Posts: 1 | Registered: June 11, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Is the Pro still LEO only, or are they selling it to mere mortals now?

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why not get the X Carry Pro and an X Compact grip module?

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post