SIGforum
Looking at the P320 X-Carry Pro vs X-Compact

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/4020053754

May 31, 2019, 12:59 PM
KevH
Looking at the P320 X-Carry Pro vs X-Compact
I'm looking at buying a P320 to play with and perhaps carry on duty some day. I'm stuck right now between the P320 X-Carry Pro and the new X-Compact.

From what I've seen the X-Compact has a shorter slide, barrel and dustcover than a Glock 19 and cannot accept a Surefire X300, which isn't a deal breaker, but is a negative. It does seem to have a better grip module design (except for the brevity of the dustcover) than the X-Carry.

The X-Carry to me has the perfect size slide, barrel and dustcover, but has a larger less refined grip.

So which one to buy? I'm leaning towards the X-Carry Pro and hoping that SIG comes out with an X-Compact-style grip module for it soon.

Any thoughts?

Proverbs 28:1
May 31, 2019, 01:04 PM
dc54
Before the Xcompact grip module became available I had an Xcarry grip module cut down to the 15 round capacity. Maintained the same dustcover and ability for a light. Might still be the best option. I really like my Xcompact grip module for carry, because I don't carry with a light.

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers
May 31, 2019, 02:25 PM
DRJ1911
I got a carry earlier this week and liked it so much that I got a compact yesterday. I’m not sure which I like most but I don’t think you can go wrong with ether. Just pick the one that fits you better.
May 31, 2019, 04:34 PM
Phred
Get the grip modules and try both out. Much cheaper that way to get some trigger time with both.
May 31, 2019, 05:58 PM
CPTKILLER
I just got a two tone P320 XCarry two tone. It is nice.
May 31, 2019, 09:16 PM
sns3guppy
I have an early P320 with the original takedown lever and the larger slide stop levers. It wasn't a problem in the original frame, nor in the x-carry, but when I went to the x-compact frame, I had early slide lockdbacks when shooting with almost every magazine.

It didn't take a lot to figure out that it was shooter-induced malfunction, and with a little experimentation, I found that with the original grip frame, my hands rested relative to the slide stop release differently, so it wasn't a problem. In the x-carry frame, the backstrap is sider in the web of my hand, forcing the thumb outward, with no contact on the slide stop relese.

The x-compact frame is a bit more contoured, narrower in the web area, allowing my forefinger and thumb to rest alongside the slide more comfortably, and allowing me to fatfinger (fatthumb) the slide stop. I fixed it by swapping out the new style slide stop release lever, which is smaller and sits higher.

I really like the x-compact frame. I have a few more on order. One will go on my P320 subcompact, which is the slide length for the present x-compact pistol that Sig is selling. Their x-compact pistol is actually a subcompact slide on a compact frame.

When I put the compact slide on the x-compact grip module, the slide extends a bit past the grip module, which is fine; the slide dust cover extends back enough to overlap the gripframe dustcover, and the combo works in a P320 holster just fine.

I like the x-frame magwell contour; without needing an aftermarket magwell, it makes mag insertion easy.

So far, I'm really liking the x-compact frame. I'm waiting for an FDE one to transfer my FDE slide to, when one is released. In the meantime, I have several others to install the x-grip on, and they're each getting flat triggers at the same time. I don't do carry optics, so I have no need to a provision to attach one.
May 31, 2019, 09:46 PM
9mmepiphany
I stated with the 320 Compact and got the X-Carry with the intention of cutting it down to Compact size for use in IDPA Compact Carry Pistol (CCP) division...it points so much better than the original grip module. Then I heard about the X-Compact coming out and held off.

In the meantime I got the RX Compact slide, when SIG had it on sale, and mounted it on the X-Carry to use in IDPA Carry Optical (CO) division.

I didn't realize that the X-Compact was only going to initially be available with the Small size grip module. I'm now looking at getting another X-Carry and cutting it down to the Compact size...it is only .25"

No, Daoism isn't a religion

May 31, 2019, 10:12 PM
KevH
I'm starting to think since I like the slide length of the Carry I should probably just get that and hope SIG figures it out and offers an X-Compact-style frame that works well with Carry length slide.

June 01, 2019, 12:05 AM
dry-fly
I like the size of my X Compact better. I put Tarran (sp?) mag extensions on my magazines and boom it holds 17 + 1.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...
June 01, 2019, 08:29 AM
RogueJSK
So far, I haven't seen duty holsters for the Subcompact-length slide on the X-Compact. But they do make duty holsters for the Compact/Carry-length slides like on the X-Carry.

About a month ago, I switched from my issued G17 to a personal P320 as my duty gun. I've been carrying a P320 Compact with X-Carry grip on duty, and then swapping in an X-Compact grip when I need something slightly more concealable and don't need a light. It's been working well.

(But if they ever come out with an X-Compact grip with a normal Carry/Compact-length rail so I can use a TLR-1HL light on it, I'll just use that grip all the time.)

Even with the slightly shorter rail, the Compact slide with X-Compact grip fits perfectly in every Compact/Carry holster I've tried, including kydex, leather, duty and concealed.

So I'd suggest getting the X-Carry Pro, and picking up a separate X-Compact grip module to install for times when you need something with a slightly smaller and more concealable grip.

Duty:

Off Duty/Concealed Duty:

June 01, 2019, 11:14 AM
sns3guppy
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:

I didn't realize that the X-Compact was only going to initially be available with the Small size grip module.

Mine are medium.
June 01, 2019, 11:18 AM
RogueJSK
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:

I didn't realize that the X-Compact was only going to initially be available with the Small size grip module.

Presently the x-compact grip frame is only offered in a medium.

True, it's marked M for Medium. But the X-Compact grip is closer to the standard Small in size.

The X-Carry grip is also a Medium, but is noticeably thicker.

(I don't have exact dimensions, but perhaps someone else does.)
June 01, 2019, 11:37 AM
sns3guppy
The x-compact grip is definitely a bit more contoured around the top the backstrap, where it sits in the web of the hand, and does feel a bit smaller. In my hand, my thumb and forefinger lay alongside the grip module of the x-grip when holding it. In the x-carry, it's a bit thicker and pushes my thumb in particular outward so it doesn't lay against the grip frame.

By comparison to my small size P320 grip frame, the x-compact is larger, thicker. I have a small size grip frame on a subcompact, and its out of proportion to the pistol. I have an x-compact grip frame coming to put on the subcompact slide.

The compact slide in an x-compact grip frame feels like a P229 to me.

I have an x-carry frame from grayguns that was lasered-down ("sculpted"). It's grippy, and just enough was removed that it fees more like the x-compact frame in terms of being a bit more trim, a bit smaller. Given that it's the same x-carry frame as any other, just trimmed slightly, it suggests to me that the x-compact frame isn't much different. You're right though: it's noticeable.
June 02, 2019, 12:37 PM
KevH
Been pondering this all weekend.

I think I'm going to sell some stuff and buy P320 X-Carry Pro and a P365 (I should have bought the P365 a couple months ago when I bought a G42 I'll never use instead...oh well).

June 08, 2019, 08:40 AM
celticwolf
Bought an X Carry Pro yesterday. Waiting on X Compact grip module.

I am hoping I can find an ACRO mount soon, as I have a gunsite 250 Pistol course coming up in July.

I really like the iron sights, which is ironic since I purposely bought this to put an optic on.

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of
avoiding reality." Ayn Rand
June 08, 2019, 10:04 AM
Biggy
Sig really needs to come out with a large size X-Compact grip module asap, I believe the current medium size is a little on the small size for most people. Also add a manual thumb safety option for those that prefer it.
June 10, 2019, 03:48 AM
c1steve
quote:
Originally posted by Biggy:
Sig really needs to come out with a large size X-Compact grip module asap, I believe the current medium size is a little on the small size for most people. Also add a manual thumb safety option for those that prefer it.

I am waiting for a Large version myself. It is so much easier to be accurate with the proper sized grip.

-c1steve
June 14, 2019, 08:06 AM
sgp357
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:

Presently the x-compact grip frame is only offered in a medium.

True, it's marked M for Medium. But the X-Compact grip is closer to the standard Small in size.

The X-Carry grip is also a Medium, but is noticeably thicker.

(I don't have exact dimensions, but perhaps someone else does.)

I did some quick measurements and from the thickest part, looks to be 2" back to front for the X Compact and 2.25" for the X-Carry. I'm just now getting my hands on the X Compact so wanted to see what people were saying.

Small Gun Parts
www.smallgunparts.com
June 15, 2019, 09:39 AM
esdunbar
Is the Pro still LEO only, or are they selling it to mere mortals now?
June 15, 2019, 01:55 PM
DaBigBR
Why not get the X Carry Pro and an X Compact grip module?