SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Holster Recommendation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Holster Recommendation Login/Join 
posted
I need a suggestion or two n a holster for CCW P229 inside the waistband holster.
Next question..if I go with a kydex holster, will it harm the finish??

Thanx

Posts: 15 | Location: Katy/Del Rio Texas | Registered: July 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm old school... leather... Milt Sparks Nexus works great for my Glock 27 and Sig 220 carry! If you go kydex, something lined is pretty slick!

More detail:
Nexus- thin, horsehide back, off-set design, magnets work great, comfortable, perfect cant. Non reinforced mouth, non issue unless in school setting where rushed to reholster. Personally, rushing to reholster has never been a priority and mine has never collapsed. If it is, go criterion.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: madmatt,

Semper Fi
Madmatt

SIGs, BHPs, CZ PCRs, HKs, 1911s, S&W 625-3 45 ACP, HK/Benelli M1S90, Colts 6721/LE6920, Steyr SBSs, Emerson and ZT Knives, Rubicons, Harleys & APBTs

Posts: 416 | Location: USA | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Garrett Industries “Silent Thunder” is made from kydex but with a leather liner. Well made and pistol retention is excellent.

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
any holster will cause finish wear, that said we've got a bevy of holster makers here on the forum in this thread

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/3230061522

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Blade Tech makes an excellent IWB in their Nano line. Their Eclipse holsters are also very good, and come complete with attachments for either IWB or OWB. In addition, Black Think Concealment makes a very close fitting OWB. No experience with their IWB versions.

Posts: 77 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: May 30, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oops. Black Rhino!

Posts: 77 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: May 30, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
I'd suggest Mitch Rosen ARG holster very comfortable no print, kinda pricey but they have an express line that's alot cheaper and also well made. I've used the ARG model for a p220 and for a p228, the Sig store sells some models or order direct from Mitch Rosen website.

Posts: 1558 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Many people clean their pistols on a regular basis but fail to clean the inside of their holsters. Contaminants left inside the holster will eventually degrade the pistol finish if it's repeatedly drawn and re-holstered.

A regular wipe down with a damp cloth is sufficient for leather or Kydex.

For Kydex, look at VEDDER HOLSTERS. For leather holsters, look at TT GUNLEATHER. Both are reasonably priced and both have rather quick turnaround times (days rather than months). TT can build an iwb holster with rough side out and smooth side in. The holster won't move around as much and the smooth inside will be easier to keep clean.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a big bladetech fan as I like their attachment method and I've used them forever. But there are lots of good choices nowadays. Any holster will cause wear if you use the gun. That's just a given.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
My favorites for IWB...

Leather:
Milt Sparks VMII or VMII clones (VERY happy with my Nightingale Leather Raptor). They are extremely comfortable holsters.

Kydex:
Ozarks Holster Company
Comp-Tac CTAC

Any holster will wear on a pistol's finish, but I sincerely doubt you'll come even remotely close to "harming" the finish.

Posts: 12542 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I get this question all the time from people I train. The fact is most folks who carry concealed probably have "the drawer of shame" where the holsters you thought would be great but didn't work out get tossed. I carry my P229 SAS in a Milt Sparks Summer Special II but your mileage may vary. If you have any chance of using a friends holster before you buy your own take the opportunity. No one can tell you what will work for you.

Posts: 278 | Location: Utah | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Next question..if I go with a kydex holster, will it harm the finish??

I haven't seen any on my guns in Kydex. Maybe, over time and many hundreds of holster draws, you might "burnish" the edges and corners a little bit. Leather with the rough side in acts like a strop on a razor, with the additional problem of dust or grit embedded in it.

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with Snake207, the IWB Hybrid from Ozark Holsters is one of my favorites.
I have them for my P239 and M11A1 (almost identical to the P229).
They are well made holsters at a reasonable price that are comfortable to wear.

Posts: 603 | Registered: December 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
I highly recommend UBG holsters. I have 2 and just ordered 2 more. High quality leather and for $65 cant beat it!

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
For IWB I like the Brommeland gun leather Max-Con V. Very comfortable.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2226 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
Garrett Industries “Silent Thunder” is made from kydex but with a leather liner. Well made and pistol retention is excellent.

I have another Garrett being delivered tomorrow, great holsters.

Posts: 75 | Registered: June 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DukeMinski:
I have to agree with Snake207, the IWB Hybrid from Ozark Holsters is one of my favorites.
I have them for my P239 and M11A1 (almost identical to the P229).
They are well made holsters at a reasonable price that are comfortable to wear.

The Ozark Holsters look just like Crossbreed holsters.

Posts: 75 | Registered: June 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post