SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Truglo TFX Nights Sights
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Truglo TFX Nights Sights Login/Join 
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted
Just curious if there is a way to tell either from a retail package or once they are installed how old they actually are like a marking or something on the packaging or label indicating date of manufacture? Just to clarify, it would be nice to be able to tell aside from comparing their relative brightness to a different set of sights either from Truglo or a different manufacturer (lots of variables).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dtech,

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
I just looked over my sights and their packaging. Nothing to indicate date of manufacture.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
On the back label of the ones I received recently, the label on the back has what appears to be a "16" top center and a "12" in the right top corner that is not related to the barcode and other numbers below. I also came across a couple of pictures on the web of the back label of other Truglo sights with the same packaging and have seen "17" and a different number in the right upper corner like "1" and "2". Since these seem like date codes (year and month) thought someone here might be able to confirm or debunk this theory.

-Dtech

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try calling Truglo and see what they say. They might answer you on it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Look around the UPC barcode on the packaging. There should be a printed code sequence that reads in a similar format to "yy XX mm". So if it read "17 SL 02", that would mean the unit was made in Feb 2017, inspected by SL.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Thanks for confirming that Soggy. They are a set of Truglo TFX for the Glock 9mm series of pistols (low) but yes I had left out the two letters in what I mentioned above. My packaging has "16 LJ 12" printed in the top right of the UPC label and had not been able to confirm with Truglo themselves. The assumption made sense but again, thanks for confirming that for me. It may not even be something Truglo would readily share with consumers either, since their 12 year warranty is supposedly from the date of purchase not necessarily the date of manufacture. I also compared them to other sights I have, including some Ameriglo front sights on two pistols made on 3/18 and 3/17 and they are noticeably brighter than the Truglos I received.

I have never purchased a set or individual nights sights in person or online before that were more than a few months old. A couple were even only a month or two old.

Unfortunately it seems I received some old stock so looks like I'll be sending them back because with the sights already being two years old, their optimum brightness has already diminished a noticeable amount. While the combination fiber/tritium setup is nice in general and the fibers will always show up nicely during the day and in brighter ambient light, and the remaining brightness of the tritium might still work ok for a few years, I suspect Truglo will not be considering a warranty claim either now or at some point in the future for lack of brightness reasons which would be arguably subjective (and generally in their favor and open to their interpretation) as opposed to an obvious failure of the tritium vials or fibers themselves.

Thanks again for clarifying that.

-Dtech