SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    So I found this nifty .22 conversion kit for P228/p229 and bought one...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So I found this nifty .22 conversion kit for P228/p229 and bought one... Login/Join 
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted
I finally get around to installing it on my trip serial number P229 no rails and it won’t lock up. I know there must be a trick here so I proceed to bang my head against anvil to create some good ideas yet none work. Looks like I get to call Sig CS.

Posts: 6009 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
it won’t lock up

What does this mean? The slide assembly doesn't go in? Partially in? Or completely in all the way to back, but the slide catch won't lock?

Q

Posts: 26339 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
When the unit slides on I can’t turn the slide locking lever and lock it into the frame. I have a new triple set German P229 9mm no rail. Bought the 228/229 kit thinking this HAS to be the one to work. The take down lever that works to take apart the frame and slide will not turn In To lock in any position.

Posts: 6009 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Push the barrel back with your finger on the muzzle as you rotate the slide lock lever.

Posts: 1335 | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GP229:
Push the barrel back with your finger on the muzzle as you rotate the slide lock lever.

This. My P226 does the same thing.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can I presume it's a Sig conversion? IIRC, Sig offered TWO .22 conversion kits for the P229. Rail and no-rail versions. The only kit where they distinguished between the two. Obviously, the proper version must be used. Check and see which one you have.

I attempted to find .22 kits at the SigStore. Couldn't find any. Don't know if they have discontinued them or they just stopped production. Didn't see any at TGS either.

See this at Osage. Out of stock, but lists rail vs. no-rail.

http://www.osagecountyguns.com...its/22-lr--p229.html

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GP229:

Well I’ll be a dumbass turd pop, IT WORKED! I just got off the phone with Sig Customer Service who recommended sending it in for custom fitting. I told them I’d just sell it. Then I read the responses here on my thread and *wham* - a quick fix! Is it normal to feel utterly stupid for not thinking to try that? Thanks much. Another example of how valuable this forum is to many.

posted Hide Post
Yes, this forum has a way of making me feel less than smart (dumb) ... in a very educational way!

Posts: 1417 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: January 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
I'm still curious as to whether the OP bought a rail version and this is the work-around for his no-rail gun, or he got the no-rail version and this is just a fitting issue.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The difference between the rail and non rail version has to do with the differing dust covers on the frames.

If they are mismatched there may be a slight gap at the end of the dust cover.

Posts: 1335 | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JAFO:
I'm still curious as to whether the OP bought a rail version and this is the work-around for his no-rail gun, or he got the no-rail version and this is just a fitting issue.

Apologies for taking a bit to answer, I bought the non-rail version for P228/229’s. My pistol is rail-less. I haven’t test fired yet but it appears to be good. I’ll try to report back as soon as I run some rounds through it.