SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Beretta fans, step on in.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beretta fans, step on in. Login/Join 
posted
I have a Brigadier that I did a D spring replacement on and it shoots great. Great pull and it's laser accurate.
So here's my question. I would to have the sights replaced, guide rod and a bunch of other things done. Wilson Combat or try to do it myself?
The WC packages look intriguing and getting an action tune would probably be nice.
Thoughts from Beretta shooters appreciated.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joatmonv:
I have a Brigadier that I did a D spring replacement on and it shoots great. Great pull and it's laser accurate.
So here's my question. I would to have the sights replaced, guide rod and a bunch of other things done. Wilson Combat or try to do it myself?
The WC packages look intriguing and getting an action tune would probably be nice.

Don't know what that means, but sounds like a WC job. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I have a Beretta that is getting the D and G spring makeover, metal trigger, solid guide rod and night sights. I have access to a Brigadier Elite II to compare once the initial work is done. I considered WC based upon their reputation but this is basic work that is intended to make it more like a SIG with a better trigger and a little more weight in front for recoil as mine is .40 S&W.

Edited because I can't spell on my phone.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BB61,

Posts: 12460 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I sent a 92G SD to Wilson and couldn't be happier with it. That being said, putting in the "D" spring is 50% of it.

What, me worry?

Posts: 2126 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: September 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K.O.A.M.:
I sent a 92G SD to Wilson and couldn't be happier with it. That being said, putting in the "D" spring is 50% of it.

D spring is in and it's nice but it has stock 3 dot sights and plastic guide rod.
I'd like to have it set up and smoother than glass.
I've seen Pierdarc shoot in his videos and his looks butter smooth.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Hopefully, Ray will be along to work his magic in this thread shortly. I know he has been crazy busy at work. His work is outstanding. He does Langdon level work on one. He knows the Beretta really well, and whatever his advice is I'd back it 115 percent.

I'd say if the Brigader slide has dovetails, you can replace the sights yourself if so inclined. I do know from my limited experience in listening to him talk, the Wilson rear sight is the only way to go. Replace the front with the front sight of your choice. The metal guide rod is easy.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's my way or the Highway
Picture of piedrarc
posted Hide Post
quote:

It's not extremely hard, but once you take material off.... You can't put it back on. Really comes down to experience working on firearms and how comfortable you are doing the work.

A Wilson bar-stock trigger bar will have the best results and in my opinion is a must. The slight hammer arc increase in DA gives more reliability with lighter hammer springs. It absolutely blows away a drop in "D" spring and adds over-travel adjustments. If you were going to have Wilson do the action job, have the WC trigger bar fit.

I like Wilson products, but the FO front sights they offer are less than stellar. My choice would be Dawson Precision, they will have to be fit though. Not something you can just tap in. The WC rear sights are great. They offer a U-notch and a square notch. The U-notch is somewhat useless unless you adjust the front sight height to give the U-notch application. In other words, the front of the slide will give the appearance of a square notch when you use the U-notch rears with Beretta 92's. Hope that makes sense.

Guide rod, is easy and now with the Beretta factory conversion kits you could convert the 92 to "G" fairly easy.

Wilson does great work, which comes with a price. So in that regard, I have to thank them for forcing me to do my own work.

Semper Fidelis

RIP 17843

Operation Specific Training

Bang, bang, Click

Posts: 4911 | Location: surrounded by liberals. | Registered: September 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piedrarc:
quote:

It's not extremely hard, but once you take material off.... You can't put it back on. Really comes down to experience working on firearms and how comfortable you are doing the work.

A Wilson bar-stock trigger bar will have the best results and in my opinion is a must. The slight hammer arc increase in DA give more reliability with lighter hammer springs. It absolutely blows away a drop in "D" spring and adds over-travel adjustments. If you were going to have Wilson do the action job, have the WC trigger bar fit.

I like Wilson products, but the FO front sights they offer are less than stellar. My choice would be Dawson Precision, they will have to be fit though. Not something you can just tap in. The WC rear sights are great. They offer a U-notch and a square notch. The U-notch is somewhat useless unless you adjust the front sight height to give the U-notch application. In other words, the front of the slide will give the appearance of a square notch when you use the U-notch rears with Beretta 92's. Hope that makes sense.

Guide rod, is easy and now with the Beretta factory conversion kits you could convert the 92 to "G" fairly easy.

Wilson does great work, which comes with a price. So in that regard, I have to thank them for forcing me to do my own work.

Thank you. A little to think on here.
I did put another 250 rounds through it today and it's probably the best fitting pistol I have rivaling my 225.

It's my way or the Highway
Picture of piedrarc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Hopefully, Ray will be along to work his magic in this thread shortly. I know he has been crazy busy at work. His work is outstanding. He does Langdon level work on one. He knows the Beretta really well, and whatever his advice is I'd back it 115 percent.

I'd say if the Brigader slide has dovetails, you can replace the sights yourself if so inclined. I do know from my limited experience in listening to him talk, the Wilson rear sight is the only way to go. Replace the front with the front sight of your choice. The metal guide rod is easy.

Way too kind my man........ Appreciate that.

***also I don't offer work on pistols at all, I tinker with my personal 92's and will do work for friends occasionally when time permits (which is rare)***

This message has been edited. Last edited by: piedrarc,

Semper Fidelis

RIP 17843

Operation Specific Training

Bang, bang, Click

Posts: 4911 | Location: surrounded by liberals. | Registered: September 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just put a WC 12# hammer spring in my 92A1 and it feels GREAT. Everything else is stock and it is a new gun so I don't know about lite strikes yet but my trigger is 4.1# and 7.4# now.

Posts: 105 | Location: United States | Registered: May 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Replacing hammers, triggers, D-springs, guide rods, and mag releases are all easy and simple. Sights and safety levers can be a pain.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
I will preface this by saying I had gift certificates in hand at the time I had this done.

That said, I sent my 92FS to WC for the action tune and spring replacement, extended mag release, steel guide rod, and thin grips.

I was very pleased with the work and nothing short of amazed by the turn-around time.

Wilson does great work.

However, if I didn't receive the certificates as a gift, I probably never would have done that on my own.

The main issue is that the 92 is a very solid piece from the ground up, so the improvements - while good - are not earth shattering. A skilled smith can make a 92 very good; but it already started life pretty decent to begin with. For instance, if something or someone could fix a Kel-Tec PF-9. If somebody could smooth one of those out and make the trigger decent while maintaining reliability, it would be an earth shattering change. But we're not talking about turning a Fiat into a Ferarri here. We're taking an already good piece and making it more gooder. Smile

The biggest change that smacks you in the face is the DA pull. It was a dramatic change, the kind where you can tell immediately it is not factory Beretta. The SA pull seemed improved, but it's nowhere near as noticeable as the DA. The other pieces I had installed were all for my own comfort, and not any reliability or function concern with the factory parts. In fact, if it weren't for the action tune with springs, the other work I would have been more than comfortable with doing myself. But, since it was already on the bench, why not?

Long story short, I am very pleased with the work Wilson Combat did to my 92, and I was stunned by their turn-around time . . . but, if I had to spend my own cash instead of utilizing a gift, I would have been less impressed. Not unhappy, not disappointed, but still less.

Posts: 10740 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
There are two shops Beretta USA will refer you to for custom work (now that Langdon is out at Gunsite full time); Wilson Combat and Josh at Allegheny Arms & Gun Works. Langdon showed Wilson the tips/tricks but Josh has also been working on 92's and Sigs for quite a long time.

Basically speaking...WC for "off the shelf parts and tuning", Josh for everything else. I've bought parts from Josh that he designed as well as had him clean up the action on my 92 Centennial (which did NOT have a nice trigger despite a $4K MSRP). Josh will do stuff WC won't, for example. Like frame safety conversions and true custom work.

Can't go wrong with either...

Posts: 3082 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
After the installation of the D & G spring kits, my 96A1 avg. 8.5# DA and 4.5# SA. As it is going to be a nightstand gun, the only other additions are the solid steel guide rod from Beretta and Trijicon night sights that I hope to put on Monday. I did dry fire it next to a 96 Brigadier Elite II and the trigger felt the same after the upgrades (the Brigadier Elite II still felt smoother however).

Posts: 12460 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
There are two shops Beretta USA will refer you to for custom work (now that Langdon is out at Gunsite full time); Wilson Combat and Josh at Allegheny Arms & Gun Works. Langdon showed Wilson the tips/tricks but Josh has also been working on 92's and Sigs for quite a long time.

Basically speaking...WC for "off the shelf parts and tuning", Josh for everything else. I've bought parts from Josh that he designed as well as had him clean up the action on my 92 Centennial (which did NOT have a nice trigger despite a $4K MSRP). Josh will do stuff WC won't, for example. Like frame safety conversions and true custom work.

Allegheny is an hour and a half away so he may get the call.
I got on the site and it's pretty much the same as WC but he's closer. I could drive the pistol over there myself.
Kicking around with the idea of a G conversion but I don't really mind the safety. Definite trigger and sights.
More to think about now.

Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
I don't mind the safety either...but if you are getting work done....might as well do it.

Posts: 1349 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I have a 92 Vertec that had the WC action tune and G conversion done. I was a little intimidated to do it myself. It is nothing short of amazing. The smoothest, nicest, trigger pull of any DA/SA I own. It's was worth every penny. I also bought a WC Brig Tac with the action tune and it is also incredible.

I was feeling frisky so I decided to buy the WC parts and do 92A1 that I had myself, it wasn't too bad with all the videos that are online to watch. I think it came out very well, but the WC is a touch smoother, but it was still way better than stock.

If you don't think you can do it yourself, in my opinion, you will not regret spending the money having WC do it.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:

Allegheny is an hour and a half away so he may get the call.
I got on the site and it's pretty much the same as WC but he's closer. I could drive the pistol over there myself.
Kicking around with the idea of a G conversion but I don't really mind the safety. Definite trigger and sights.
More to think about now.

When I lived in Pittsburgh I would bring guns to Josh all the time. A lot of the stuff he would do while I waited or I would go get lunch and it would be ready when I came back. He just opened a new facility. I'm gonna go check it out when I head to Pittsburgh next week.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it shoots great why mess with it at all?

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
If it shoots great why mess with it at all?

To make it better than great. 3 WC parts coming to me soon.
Short reach trigger- this will help since I'm missing part of my right index finger (trigger finger).
Oversized checkered mag release- I like the stock one but this will probably be an improvement.
New RSA- solid steel rod with flat wire spring. Not real high on plastic guide rods though I've never had problems. More of an want than a need.
I'll start with these and go from there.