SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    First range trip w/ new P365 (updated with new range report)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First range trip w/ new P365 (updated with new range report) Login/Join 
Picture of JAFO
posted
I had my name on a waiting list for a P365 at a LGS for a few months, and they called me last Thursday. I had already accumulated a few 12-rd mags through various sales while I waited. Sunday was the first chance I had to get it out to the range. I ran a few patches down the bore, lubricated it, then shot 220 rounds of 115gr FMJ Blazer Brass through it, using all 6 mags.

I noticed the ejection pattern was a little random. I had cases going anywhere from 2 to 6 o'clock. The majority seemed to be at ~4 o'clock. Cases were landing 5-6 feet away, with the exception of those that went back over my head, which landed closer. I also noticed a lot of brass marks on the slide forward of the ejection port.

The gun felt pretty good in my hands. I have small-ish hands, and I found the extended 10-rd mag fits just about right. The 12-rd makes the grip about the same length as my 229, but much smaller in circumference. The grip is rough enough to stay put, especially with the extra textured surface on the 12-rd mags.

It will take some practice to get consistent with this little gun. If it concentrated, I could keep 12-rds in the head of a USPSA A/C steel target at ~12 yds. But it is very sensitive to side push on the trigger pull when shooting single-handed. I had a lot of misses to the left when shooting SHO until I repositioned my finger and focused on pulling straight back. I actually shot better WHO.

I did have 4 failures to extract on 3 different magazines. All of them looked like this:

It only happened when I was firing multiple mags in quick succession, and each time I noticed that the front of the slide was very hot. I'm thinking it might be attributed to the chamber getting hot and the cases sticking. I plan to give it a good cleaning, focusing on the chamber, before I take it out again. Each time the malfunction could be cleared by forcibly removing the mag, then reinsert ing and racking the slide. I love the grip cutouts for this!

If I can sort out the failures, I'm really going to like this little gun for carry. With one 12-rd spare, I'd have 11 rounds less than I currently carry with my 229, but with two 12 rounders, I'd actually have one more. And the gun would be much smaller and lighter, which was the main reason for me wanting this in the first place.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JAFO,

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Nice report. Thanks for posting.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I got mine so hot the other day that I couldn't touch the front of the slide for several minutes. I have 600 rds through mine now. Not one issue with 115-147gr White Box, Blazer Brass, PMC, Fiocchi, and a variety of 115-147gr jhp.

For a tiny pistol they are very accurate at 7-15 yards. FWIW, an UPLULA loader makes loading the small magazines much easier.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What are all those spots on the slide near breech opening ?

Posts: 393 | Location: Florida Gulf Coast | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stroonz:
What are all those spots on the slide near breech opening ?

Marks from where brass casings have hit the slide.

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
I've put four hundred rounds through my 365 so far, and not a single issue. I've only been shooting 124gr and a box of 150gr and I haven't seen any brass marks on my slide. I plan to try some 115gr FMJs and see how they perform in my pistol.

JAFO, when was your 365 built? Mine was from 27 April.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 45_Auto
posted Hide Post
I have about 400+ rounds through my 365. All my brass is pretty consistent where it lands, and I do not have any brass marks on the slide. You may have an issue with the ejector?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A Veteran is someone who wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'Up to and including their life'.
That is Honor. Unfortunately there are way too many people in this Country who no longer understand that.

Posts: 2306 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: November 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fvyellowbird
posted Hide Post
^ he stated that those are brass case marks.
ETA...beat me to it.

Hell, is other people! J-P S

Posts: 1140 | Location: St Simons Island, Georgia USA! | Registered: October 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of roadrash
posted Hide Post
I would not clean the brass marks off the slide,I would contact Sig explaining your issues and get a call tag to send it back.
Looks like you have extractor problems.

Posts: 558 | Registered: May 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I have just over 600 rounds through my P365 now with no issues. The pistol was made in mid-April. I don't have any brass marks on the slide. The ejection pattern has been consistent.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ARMT Guy:
JAFO, when was your 365 built? Mine was from 27 April.

May 29, 2018, according to the sticker on the box.

A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I was playing around with a sig demonstrator in my LGS yesterday inserting the different style mags, flush, 10 round extended, and 12 round extended. I was most impressed to say the least.

I may buy one next year, if they can work out the bugs plaguing first year production.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The brass marks would bother me too.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
While I'm not a stickler on ejection patterns, while shooting the same ammo in the same manner, they should be more or less in the right place.

I had a P290RS that ejected like you mention - basically from 2 o'clock, clockwise to 9 o'clock, rounds would sling or petter out in random directions, to include in your face. Maybe them hitting my face caused them to go to the left, IDK.

That maybe "within spec", but I wasn't a fan.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by me: what are those marks on the slide near the breech opening?

quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
The brass marks would bother me too.

I agree. I don't know if they are removable, but of all the Sigs I have owned, I never experienced anything like that.

Posts: 393 | Location: Florida Gulf Coast | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GJM365
posted Hide Post
Picked up #2 this morning, Born June 8, 2018.
Promptly dumped 124 rds through. 100 Remington Brown Box 115 FMJ, 12 124 Gr. HSTs and 12 NOVX 65 gr. +P...Ate em like candy.
#1 now has 2103 rounds through..Hasn't missed a beat
Fantastic Fantastic CCw

No wear anywhere and certainly no marks like that.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GJM365,

Posts: 20 | Registered: January 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would be interested to hear if your failure to extract clears up. Mine has exhibited the same problem. I do not know if it is a break-in issue, ammo specific, or a gun issue. It has occurred with both the 10 and 12 round mags.

Posts: 7 | Location: N. Texas | Registered: June 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
I plan on cleaning it and trying to get back out to the range this weekend with some more Blazer Brass 115gr and some American Eagle 124gr.

posted Hide Post
Ok, here is my latest update on this subject. On my 1st two outings to the range I shot 250 rounds of Federal 115 FMJs with about a 1% to 2% percent failure to extract. Durning my 2nd trip I also shot a 100 Winchester 115 FMJs and 25 Hornady Critical Defense without any issues. Today I went out again and fired 200 more rounds of Winchester 115 FMJs without any issues. So at this point I do not know if it was an ammo specific issue or it merely coincided with breaking in the gun. I could try the Federal ammo again at some later date, but it seems to be running fine now. FYI, the gun was cleaned and lubed after each session.

Posts: 7 | Location: N. Texas | Registered: June 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
Finally got out to the range again with the 365. I thoroughly cleaned it beforehand, paying close attention to the extractor and chamber. I went out with 190 rounds of American Eagle 124gr FMJ and 100 rounds of the Blazer Brass 115gr FMJ that I had the issues with on the first trip.

The 124's ran great. Did rapid fire, slow fire, and single handed shooting with no malfunctions. The ejection pattern was much more consistent, with brass landing between 2:30-3:30, about 5-6 feet away.

The 115's were showing better, but more erratic ejection, landing ~3:00-5:00 about 5-6 feet away. I got some more brass marks on the slide with the 115's that I did not see with the 124's. And then around round 80 of the 115's, I got a failure to extract identical to my first trip.

This was near the end of the range trip, with about 270 rounds through the gun, so it could have been the chamber getting dirty. But at this point, I'm leaning towards this being ammo related.

I will plan another trip and bring along the Hornady Critical Defense 135gr that I'm carrying in my 229 to see how that fares. I did notice the POI tends left with the 115's and is pretty much POA with 124's.

I also noticed I gave myself a blister on my trigger finger today. Might have to consider trying a flat trigger, if and when they become available.