SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    First range trip w/ new P365 (updated with new range report)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First range trip w/ new P365 (updated with new range report) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I'd call SIG and send them the pics. See what they say. Seems like it might be short stroking on top of sticking brass. I wonder if it's trying to unlock too early, before pressures have subsided, where the brass is still expanded against the chamber. Do the cases come right out when you clear, or do you have to pry/pop them out?

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
I've been clearing it each time by ripping out the mag, reseating, and racking the slide. The empty ejects easily when I do that.

I did notice a shiny spot on the rim of the empty today, I'm assuming that's where the extractor slipped off. I don't know if it's visible in this picture.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by JAFO:
I ran a few patches down the bore, lubricated it, then shot 220 rounds of 115gr FMJ Blazer Brass through it, using all 6 mags.
/QUOTE]

Would you clarify what SHO and WHO mean?

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
Aside from a box of 150gr Federal HSTs, all I've ran through my 365 have been 124gr - FMJs and JHPs.

I've yet to try any 115gr FMJs, but my next trip out I plan to do so, ( 124gr FMJs just happened to be what I grabbed to break the gun in, but I usually stick with 124gr. )

For carry rounds, it grouped the best with 124gr +P Speer Gold Dots. For the next range trip, I will try out some of the same JHPs, but in the Short Barrel version to see if there's any difference in grouping and POI.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGWolf:
Would you clarify what SHO and WHO mean?

Strong hand only, weak hand only

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
I was mistaken about my current carry ammo. It is 115gr Hornady. I'll still try it, bit I think I'll also get a few hundred rounds of 124gr Gold Dots, too.

Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
Spoke to Sig CS this morning and described the problem I'm seeing. He didn't feel confident that, with only 5 malfunctions in 300 rounds with one brand of ammunition, the service guys would be able to diagnose a problem. He suggested trying a few other brands first.

I plan to pick up a few hundred rounds of some other brands today or tomorrow and give them a try on the 4th. If the problem gets more frequent or happens with multiple brands, I will call back.

I also asked about the updated striker design. He said there were no plans for a recall that he was aware of, and that the newly designed striker is not currently available as a purchasable part.

posted Hide Post
Well since my last post I did make it back out to the range briefly. Unfortunately there was more talking than shooting since several guys wanted to see and shoot it. Bottom line is I ran another 100 rounds of Winchester 115 FMJ White Box ammo through it without a single issue. So the tally is up to 525 rounds without an issue. I did put a few drops of oil in slide where the extractor is early on, but I do not know if that affected anything.

P.S. I have read where Gray Guns is working on a flat trigger for the P365. I may try it as well because the the curve of the trigger pushes my finger up against the bottom of the frame. It does cause some discomfort if shooting several 100 rounds.

Posts: 7 | Location: N. Texas | Registered: June 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At the range today 07/02/18 I put over 200 rounds thru the gun with no hang ups. This is the second trip with over 300 rounds thru the gun now. The gun is very accurate. Born date 05/24/18

Posts: 361 | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades;
Master of None
Picture of Tomkat
posted Hide Post
I am one of the lucky many. I bought mine with a May 2018 build date. It feeds on anything I feed it like a hungry shark. It is very accurate. It handles recoil extremely well. It throws spent casings at about 3:30 about 6 to 8 feet every time. I have zero complaints. This is a very nice compact 9mm with an excellent trigger, excellent sights and excellent capacity for its size.

Posts: 3518 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
I stopped by Academy today and picked up 100rds each of Remington 115gr FMJ, WWB 115gr FMJ, and Sig 115gr FMJ. I also have one box each of 115gr Critical Defense, 135gr Critical Duty, and 124gr Sig V-Crown.

365 rounds of test ammo for the 365 on the 4th!

Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
Today I tried 100 rds each of 115gr Remington UMC, WWB, and Sig FMJ, then 25 rds of Hornady 115gr Critical Defense, 25rds of 135gr Critical Duty, 20rds of Sig 124gr V-Crown JHP, and finally 25rds of Speer 124gr +P Gold Dot. I had one failure to extract on WWB, but I was shooting weak hand only and didn't have a solid grip when it went off. That may have been me. However, I had 3 failures to extract with the Sig FMJ, twice on the last round in the mag, with a solid hold on all 3. Those happened towards the end of the 300 rds of FMJ I shot today. So between that and what I saw with the Blazer, there is a possible correlation between the failures and a dirty chamber.

All the SD ammo ran fine, although +P is very unpleasant out of it. The other 3 performed about the same, grouping-wise, with a slight edge to Hornady Critical Duty. It is rather sensitive to side push on the trigger, so it makes you concentrate on pulling straight to the rear. Most of my groups consisted of part of the group on target and part a few inches left.

As I mentioned previously, 300+ round sessions with the little gun are hard on the trigger finger. Especially where the curve is on the bottom. I will be getting a GGI flat trigger when they become available.

Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
WWB malfunction and case.

Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
Sig FMJ malfunctions and cases.

posted Hide Post
The primer drag looks excessive, as does the brass marking on the slide forward of the ejection port.

Your pistol doesn't look lubricated; the barrel looks dry and I don't see a lot of lubrication evident. It may just be the pictures. Sigs like to run wet.

I have been shooting several hundred rounds at a time with the P365 and haven't noticed any discomfort on the trigger finger. There's almost no perceptible movement of the trigger on my P365, before discharge, and no change in feel through the pull. It makes me wonder if there isn't an issue with the trigger or mechanism, or if you're not getting some of the "trigger slap" I've heard of in the P3209's (but never experienced).

The failures to extract appear just that, but it looks to me like the "primer drag" on your cases is excessive: beyond what's on mine. It appears to dig deeper and turn a channel out of the primer, right up to the edge near the case. One of the pictures shot with the empty still in the chamber appeared to have dented the case itself, though it didn't look that way in the pictures of the cases posted outside the firearm. Either way, the drag appears to be protracted and extending deeper as the barrel shift occurs as the slide moves aft.

I'm wondering if the primer isn't hanging up so long that it's causing the extractor to jump off as the case fails is pushed away, mechanical cam action off the firing pin.

The barrel is fully tilted before the slide is far enough aft for an extracted case to hang up on a round in the magazine; any failure of the extractor to retain the case needs to have happened by that point, as the motion of the barrel and slide has already gone as far as it will go as the system unlocks and moves aft. Dirty chamber maybe, but even with dirty Remington UMC ammunition, and winchester white box, I've had no such issues, and I overlubricate everything...plenty of opportunity for grunge to be where it ought not.

Have you looked over your extractor, and removed it? Your fired cases show the extractor marks at approximately right angles to the primer drag line, which appears to show that it slipped the case very early in the ejection process, with nearly full extractor engagement, prior to much barrel tilt. I'd be for pulling the extractor and examining it closely under a 10X magnifying glass, and also making sure there's nothing behind the extractor that's causing a problem.

The brass marks forward of the ejection port are a question that I think must point to the extractor, as well. The ejector on the P365 sits well back, and the rounds should be exiting right and rear, spinning, and shouldn't occur until the slide is within about 3/8" of it's last travel aft. The peen marks of the brass striking the forward ejection port look more like the extractor has a poor hold on the brass. It looks like the brass is hitting the ejector and bouncing forward instead of rolling or snapping right. It also looks like the ejection process is occurring more as blow-back and the brass traveling under little extractor control; it looks like the brass travels guided by the extractor instead of pulled by it, until it hits the ejector.

When brass hits the ejector, it should't be torn free of the extractor; it should rotate right and roll out from under the extractor, and that's not occurring.

Weak extractor will produce both issues; the brass marks and the failure to extract.

At any rate, I've seen none of these issues, and I haven't seen them commonly reported, which to me suggests that Sig needs to get their hands on it and check it out. I think you've gone above and beyond in troubleshooting it, but you shouldn't have to put enough ammunition through it that you could have bought another pistol, for something that Sig should be diagnosing and fixing.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Sorry you have to deal with this. In my humble worthless opinion, it's unacceptable to say a Sig needs hundreds of dollars in ammo to test. It should work out of the box with any reasonable production ammo. I could see if you were shooting Billy Bob's Country Bait Store ammo, but if a pistol can't handle WWB there's a problem and it ain't the ammo.

And I had never heard of primer drag before these P365 threads, but that just isn't normal. You can't tell me that won't cause firing pin problems over time.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
The gun was lubricated with grease on the barrel and slide rails, oil on the frame rails.

There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the extractor. I pulled it to examine it out of the gun, and aside from a little built-up residue on the face of the claw, it looks good, even under magnification. The pin holding it in looks mashed and slightly bent. I'm not sure if that would affect anything.

Picture of TENWOLVES
posted Hide Post
Got my P365 a couple days ago, haven't had time to fire it yet, but it's all prept to go, my LGS which I totally trust, who is also a good friend told me that he didn't start getting the 365's in until May 2018, mine is from 6/9 2018, he told me there has not been even one complaint, and everyone that bought one from him with these dates say the 365 has been flawless and feeds everything they put through it, I'll post my results as soon as I get a break to go shoot mine, I have to say this gun feels fantastic in my large hand, which for its size was surprising, love the sights, I have these X-RAY sights on all my Legions as well as my P320 X Carry, and I think they're great in day light as well as night, the trigger good, and the texture on the grip helps hold the gun frimley in hand, anyway I can't wait to fire it and see what every one is talkinf about...

P226 Scorpion, P225 A-1, P 226 SAO Legion, P229 Legion, P 22O Hunter SAO, P938, P320 full, P 320X Carry, P365 P365 XL. P365 SAS

Posts: 277 | Location: Grant Pass, Oregon | Registered: April 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
As I recall Strader was minimizing the primer drag as an issue. I'm not sure that I agree. The assessment being that all guns of this size do this and it's not an issue. However, given what I've seen, while there may be some minor prier drag, none of the other comparable guns have this much drag.

However, he went on to say it was not complicit in the broken extractor issue. So, perhaps his comments were directly related to that.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TENWOLVES:
Got my P365 a couple days ago, haven't had time to fire it yet, but it's all prept to go, my LGS which I totally trust, who is also a good friend told me that he didn't start getting the 365's in until May 2018, mine is from 6/9 2018, he told me there has not been even one complaint, and everyone that bought one from him with these dates say the 365 has been flawless and feeds everything they put through it, I'll post my results as soon as I get a break to go shoot mine, I have to say this gun feels fantastic in my large hand, which for its size was surprising, love the sights, I have these X-RAY sights on all my Legions as well as my P320 X Carry, and I think they're great in day light as well as night, the trigger good, and the texture on the grip helps hold the gun frimley in hand, anyway I can't wait to fire it and see what every one is talkinf about...

Generally if I buy a car, the last person I'll ask about reliability is the salesman.

Same with a firearm.

Nobody has a more vested interest in telling me what they want me to hear.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post