SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Finally sourced the goods. 228r-ish
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finally sourced the goods. 228r-ish Login/Join 
Picture of fullmann
posted
So after I decided that I NEED a 228r and also finding that they usually command a price premium. I set out to build my own. German frame, German slide, assembled in Michigan. It's a mutt, but it's my mutt.

The recent rash of excellent police trade 229's made it a little less painful on the pocket book. I realize I could have just bought a conversion barrel. But I already had a factory threaded for my other 228 non rail. So now I can carry the 228, and I can add a light to the wife's nightstand gun. I just like the folded slide models better than the new stainless milled.

Added bonus for being able to switch back to .40 and 357 sig(when I acquire a barrel).

Big thanks to 12131 for the guidance on the 228 ins and outs and how to make this happen.

Posts: 412 | Location: Mid Michigan  | Registered: June 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Assuming you bought a whole gun to swap the slide with your existing 228 slide? May I ask where u found one cheap enough to make this cost effective.
I would like to return my no rail 229 to 357 Sig and use my 228 upper on a railed lower. I already have the parts for DAK to DA/SA conversion.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fullmann
posted Hide Post
Picked up a police trade .40 from centerfire a month or so ago for $360. So that price was right.

Kept an eye out on all the forums and funbroker, managed to make a decent deal on the upper, 4 229-1 mags and locking piece.

All in all, I think I probably paid about $50 more for this whole setup than I could have picked up a 229/9 without any of the .40 bits, and about $100 less than a real 228r.

Patience is the key, and knowing when to jump on the good deals.

Posts: 412 | Location: Mid Michigan  | Registered: June 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Much appreciated. I may just have to nose around for a beater 229r for a base gun.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post