SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Picked up a Beretta 92fs for a project gun.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Picked up a Beretta 92fs for a project gun. Login/Join 
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
very cool.

straight dust cover 92s are the sexiest IMO.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3181 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:
very cool.

straight dust cover 92s are the sexiest IMO.

I am with you on that

Posts: 1176 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
I think I've had 7 92s, I still have four, and still look at them on gunbroker and at the gunshops/gunshows.
My original 92FS, and first gun, that I've had for 25 years, is still going strong.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I folded and bought the Langdon trigger job in a bag.

I haven't bought a firearm in a year, so I guess I was due to break out a bit with the 92A1 and accessories.

Looking forward to getting it to the range to shoot it, then fixing it up a bit.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WC extended mag release came in, having a hard time installing it.
I have replaced mag release several times before on Betettas with no issues but this one is just not working with me.

Posts: 1176 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's odd. Im 5'8" and on a scale of 1-10 with 1 being barbie doll hands and 10 being bear paws, Im about a "5"...I grip a 9x series with zero issues at all. Do you have particularly stubby fingers?

quote:
Originally posted by Mauser96:
I always wanted a Beretta 92 but have never owned one. I never thought I had small hands, but I just can't get comfortable with the long trigger reach. I have passed up great deals just because the gun didn't fit me.

Posts: 76 | Registered: April 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well having 92’s with and without the grip relief cut it makes a huge difference.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Take a look at Ernie Langdon's "Trigger kit in a bag". It is solid stuff, and he is the master of the Beretta. A lot of the stuff you see at Wilson came directly from his experience with hundreds of thousands of rounds through Berettas over the years.

He is a solid guy, and a great instructor.

https://www.langdontactical.co...retta_92_Series.html

You do the math, and you can't outsource buying the stuff from Wilson and come out much cheaper, plus his stuff is pre-stoned on all the contact surfaces that matter.

I would also advocate spending the $55 and convert the gun from FS to G, but that is my preference only.
+1!

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Installed the WC mag release, Beretta metal trigger, conversion return spring(not sure I like it) 13# hammer spring and a WC guide rod.
Shot about 150 at my range with no issues, my only concern was light strikes with the 13# hammer spring. All 150rds were tulammo so I think it should be good to go. Trigger pull was a excellent, very happy.
Next on the list is a set of thin grips and possibly refinishing the slide in silver/gray.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
All I've ever needed is the "D" spring, Wolfe self-contained trigger spring and the Elite hammer to make them sing a precision tune.
Pretty close to the Langdon upgrade with only the necessary parts at a LOT less $$.

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
What is the difference on these trigger jobs? I already feel the trigger is short on my 92fs, though I do not know the year. 92fs are like a 1911, they are classic and worked the first, and final time. Did they have a different trigger on newer models? Or is this like the difference between a Legion 226 and a regular 226? I.E. only comp shooters will really notice.

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
^^^
The Langdon Trigger Job in a Bag really doesn't do much with the trigger, per se.
(Well, the WC trigger bag does decrease overtravel.)

His kit has the Wilson Trigger bar, Elite II hammer, sear, sear spring, trigger spring, hammer strut and a hammer spring in your choice of weight.

The trigger bar, sear, and hammer strut has already been polished and stoned by Ernie, which is what you can't get if you went with Wilson Combat parts alone.

Even with a factory 20lb mainspring, you can tell the difference in the smoothness. Once you start going down in spring weight, the kit REALLY shines. 12lb is about as low as I'm going for my competition gun, and I'd put the feel of the kit on par with most custom guns. Like I said before, it's easily 95% of a gunsmith would do, that you can do at your table.

Posts: 12536 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fatmanspencer:
What is the difference on these trigger jobs? I already feel the trigger is short on my 92fs, though I do not know the year. 92fs are like a 1911, they are classic and worked the first, and final time. Did they have a different trigger on newer models? Or is this like the difference between a Legion 226 and a regular 226? I.E. only comp shooters will really notice.

The setup with reduced power trigger return spring and the 13# hammer spring will bring down trigger pull to about 4-4.5/8-9lb
My beretta had a plastic trigger, the metal trigger from beretta USA is $20, don't really know if the metal trigger actually makes a big difference but for $20 why not.

Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
I believe mine is a metal trigger, which brings me to wonder how old my new beretta was. IS the plastic a new or old thing? My quick google fu is that since about 02 theyve been plastic, but I'm pretty sure mine is a usa made metal one.

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fatmanspencer:
I believe mine is a metal trigger, which brings me to wonder how old my new beretta was. IS the plastic a new or old thing? My quick google fu is that since about 02 theyve been plastic, but I'm pretty sure mine is a usa made metal one.

You could always use Beretta's serial number lookup to get an approximate year of manufacture.

http://www.berettasupport.com/...atics_search_new.htm

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's my way or the Highway
Picture of piedrarc
posted Hide Post
The Wilson trigger bar increases the hammer arc in DA, hence you can get reliable ignition on the #12 hammer spring because the hammer is coming back further.

If you are placing the #12/#13 in a standard 92 with a stock trigger bar you'll most likely see light primer strikes more often. The hammer in DA just doesn't move far enough back before dropping.

You really owe it to yourself to avoid the possibility of error if you aren't familiar with these parts to purchase one of LTT's triggers in a bag. E. Langdon is absolutely top notch!

Semper Fidelis

RIP 17843

Operation Specific Training

Bang, bang, Click

Posts: 4911 | Location: surrounded by liberals. | Registered: September 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Photoman
posted Hide Post
I've run the 13# Wolff hammer spring in all my 92's for years with 100% reliable ignition with many different brands of quality ammo. I don't shoot the steel case stuff and don't reload 9mm so can't offer any input there.

+++

Posts: 1561 | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Photoman:
I've run the 13# Wolff hammer spring in all my 92's for years with 100% reliable ignition with many different brands of quality ammo. I don't shoot the steel case stuff and don't reload 9mm so can't offer any input there.

I shot 150rds of steel cased ammo with 13# with 0 issues.

posted Hide Post
Picked up my Italian 92A1 today. I'm looking forward to shooting it stock tomorrow, before diving into some modifications. G-conversion kit, LTT Trigger job in a bag, and some other things.

posted Hide Post
Shot my 92A1 this morning, just 100 x Fiocchi 115 FMJs and 20 Tula. Ran as you'd expect and was accurate.

With it being a proven good weapon, I proceeded to drop the Beretta G-kit in, along with Langdon's Trigger Job in bag, plus a steel trigger and magazine release assembly. I still want a metal guide rod and some LTT grips, but those are easy installs.

While dry firing the Langdon trigger job is AMAZING, especially for a drop in kit. I went with the 14# hammer spring and it's a great combination - I know I might be able to go lower with that but after having a bad experience with a SIG & lower power hammer springs, I always err on the high side.

The sights (came with non-night sight 3 dots) are adequate but it would certainly benefit from some Trijicon HDs or something similar.

Gripping it is a little different, as I've been shooting Glocks nearly 100% of the time for the past 3 years. My support hand thumb is having a hard time getting comfortable but I'll figure it out.