SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Picked up a Beretta 92fs for a project gun.
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Picked up a Beretta 92fs for a project gun. Login/Join 
Member
posted
Have not owned a 92 series pistol in a while.
Been doing some research on the web, will be upgrading the trigger, hammer, mag release, hammer spring and trigger return spring.
Can't decide if I want to go with mostly Beretta products or WC.
Any recommendations for spring weights will be appreciated.
 
Posts: 722 | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Take a look at Ernie Langdon's "Trigger kit in a bag". It is solid stuff, and he is the master of the Beretta. A lot of the stuff you see at Wilson came directly from his experience with hundreds of thousands of rounds through Berettas over the years.

He is a solid guy, and a great instructor.

https://www.langdontactical.co...retta_92_Series.html

You do the math, and you can't outsource buying the stuff from Wilson and come out much cheaper, plus his stuff is pre-stoned on all the contact surfaces that matter.

I would also advocate spending the $55 and convert the gun from FS to G, but that is my preference only.


_______________________________________________________________________
www.opspectraining.com

"Make it a shooting, and not a gunfight" LSP552 02/19/2011



 
Posts: 31341 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
The only thing I replaced on mine was the main spring and put in a factory "D" spring. Start small and replace things as you go because you might not need a lot.
 
Posts: 4087 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I'll have to do some research on that kit. EL has a very good reputation and goes way back - even here on the forum.

Does the kit shorten the reset?

I like the FS version and I don't carry or compete with it. I have a PX40 also that I would consider doing the "trigger job in a bag" mod.
 
Posts: 815 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
D spring at the minimum.

If you don't like the FS safety, Beretta released a "G" kit that works (levers look wonky).

WC also makes a slim profile single sided lever if you want to try that.
 
Posts: 1092 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

I have owned a 92a1 a while back, I swapped in the metal trigger kit from beretta in and liked the results.

This one I want to take it a little farther.
 
Posts: 722 | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
I will second Ernie’s Trigger Job in a Bag.

I installed one in my M9A1 and with a 12lb WC mainspring, it’s as close to a custom trigger job as you can get, while still maintaining reliable primer ignition.
(Ernie says it’s 90% of a custom job, but IMHO it’s more like 95. I have custom-smith’d Berettas, and it’s damn close.)

IIRC, the “D” spring is 16lbs. While not bad, I think the 14lb WC spring gives you a smoother and lighter pull, while still staying in “carry” pull range.

Stick with LTT and WC parts and you won’t be sorry. “G” conversion is a must IMHO. Plus, working on Berettas are a breeze. Even for dummies like me. Big Grin


__________________________
www.opspectraining.com
"It pays to be a winner."
 
Posts: 11664 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I have a 92A1 on the way - already squirreled away a G-kit and some other parts, but the trigger job in a bag is also high on the list.

I owned a 92FS Brig back in the mid-90s but sold it off for some stupid reason. With the deals on Berettas lately (got mine new for $550), why not?

Smile
 
Posts: 37893 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Having carried plenty of M9s they are just "meh."

However, a Wilson Brig-Tac or a project 92 like yours with the trigger job in a bag, "G" conversion, and some other goodies like grips etc. Hellz yeah!




“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

The world's a dangerous place, we can help! http://portlandfirearmtraining.com/
 
Posts: 3350 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I always wanted a Beretta 92 but have never owned one. I never thought I had small hands, but I just can't get comfortable with the long trigger reach. I have passed up great deals just because the gun didn't fit me.
 
Posts: 65 | Registered: September 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
FWIW, my 92 is mostly stock, but I did put in a Wolff trigger return spring conversion when they first came out. At the time it was referred to as the Border Patrol spring, IIRC, because they required it on the 96s they issued at the time. I liked it quite a bit. Seemed to make the trigger a bit smoother and I don't have to worry about it breaking.

I believe Wilson Combat makes a version of it, too.



"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes
 
Posts: 982 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Take a look at Ernie Langdon's "Trigger kit in a bag". It is solid stuff, and he is the master of the Beretta. A lot of the stuff you see at Wilson came directly from his experience with hundreds of thousands of rounds through Berettas over the years.

He is a solid guy, and a great instructor.

https://www.langdontactical.co...retta_92_Series.html

You do the math, and you can't outsource buying the stuff from Wilson and come out much cheaper, plus his stuff is pre-stoned on all the contact surfaces that matter.

I would also advocate spending the $55 and convert the gun from FS to G, but that is my preference only.


Agree with everything said here.


-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
 
Posts: 6242 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't have to worry about it breaking.

Worry about what breaking?



When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21


"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

 
Posts: 14024 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Fun pistol to customize.
I did a Brigadier last year with all WC parts. Magazine release, springs, trigger, etc. I bought the competition spring set and put in the 11# hammer spring and low weight recoil spring. Trigger pull was fantastic.
The WC sights are nice but had to send it to Alleghany Gun Works for the sights. They are not fun to get out, especially the front sight.
Sold it here to PGT. Kinda wish I hadn't.
Good luck and have fun with your project.


I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.
 
Posts: 1979 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joatmonv:
Fun pistol to customize.
I did a Brigadier last year with all WC parts. Magazine release, springs, trigger, etc. I bought the competition spring set and put in the 11# hammer spring and low weight recoil spring. Trigger pull was fantastic.
The WC sights are nice but had to send it to Alleghany Gun Works for the sights. They are not fun to get out, especially the front sight.
Sold it here to PGT. Kinda wish I hadn't.
Good luck and have fun with your project.


The 92's are not my favorite pistol, but I love the classic look especially spruced up a bit.

Did you have any light primer strikes with the 11# hammer spring?
 
Posts: 722 | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
quote:
I don't have to worry about it breaking.

Worry about what breaking?


The factory trigger return spring
 
Posts: 722 | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Take a look at Ernie Langdon's "Trigger kit in a bag". It is solid stuff, and he is the master of the Beretta. A lot of the stuff you see at Wilson came directly from his experience with hundreds of thousands of rounds through Berettas over the years.

He is a solid guy, and a great instructor.

https://www.langdontactical.co...retta_92_Series.html

You do the math, and you can't outsource buying the stuff from Wilson and come out much cheaper, plus his stuff is pre-stoned on all the contact surfaces that matter.

I would also advocate spending the $55 and convert the gun from FS to G, but that is my preference only.


Mr. Langdon seems to know a little bit about the 92 series.
Watched a few videos on YouTube very informative, thanks again for the link.
The kit is at the top of my list.
 
Posts: 722 | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Photoman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scsigs:
quote:
Originally posted by joatmonv:
Fun pistol to customize.
I did a Brigadier last year with all WC parts. Magazine release, springs, trigger, etc. I bought the competition spring set and put in the 11# hammer spring and low weight recoil spring. Trigger pull was fantastic.
The WC sights are nice but had to send it to Alleghany Gun Works for the sights. They are not fun to get out, especially the front sight.
Sold it here to PGT. Kinda wish I hadn't.
Good luck and have fun with your project.


The 92's are not my favorite pistol, but I love the classic look especially spruced up a bit.

Did you have any light primer strikes with the 11# hammer spring?



I run the Wolff 13# hammer spring on all my 92's with 100% reliability.


+++
 
Posts: 1439 | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of dwd1985
posted Hide Post
I picked up a PD trade in for a great price. Added a G Conversion kit, D Spring, and Wilson Combat metal guiderod. No other "improvements" needed!
 
Posts: 3497 | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
I found a stripped 92FS lower and when I saw the markings on it, I jumped on it. The receiver is Italian made and has a date code stamp, "AT", for 1988. I mated it with a factory Beretta .22lr conversion kit. But, it was the stamp on the upper left side of the trigger guard that caught my eye.





From my internet research:



That "symbol" is the Hebrew letter tzadik, or the equivalent of the English "Z". It’s pronounced as a "tz" sound as in "tsar". The Israelis use it as their acceptance stamp and yes, since the letter "Z" it's short for "Zahal" (צה"ל) which is the acronym or the full name of the IDF:

צְבָא הַהֲגָנָה לְיִשְׂרָאֵל
Tzva Hahagana LeYisra'l

Literally: "The Army of Defense for Israel" or..... Israeli Defense Force. Interestingly, the word Tzadik also means "righteous person"


“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009
 
Posts: 1795 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Picked up a Beretta 92fs for a project gun.

© SIGforum 2018