SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Stainless Frame P226R SAO - Looking for Info
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stainless Frame P226R SAO - Looking for Info Login/Join 
Picture of mcs1564
posted
I recently picked up a stainless framed P226R SAO and looking for some info on it. It's apparently part of a limited batch of SAO P226Rs that were either leftovers from a run that was made for the Texas Dept. of Public Safety or cobbled together using frames from that run. The following is what I've been able to gather based on a search of the 'net. Some of it is based on threads found in various forums, so, the accuracy may vary:

- German made stainless frame with Nitron finish.
- Serial Number Prefix begins with "TXDPS".
- "Target" barrel (crowned) and trigger.
- Chambered in .357 Sig, although some may have been 9mm.
- Limited number (63?) sold in the Sig Pro Shop. Appears these may have been sold just prior to introduction of the production P226R SAO.

Based on the S/N prefix, I'm thinking the frames have to be leftovers from a run of DPS 75th Anniversary SAO P226s that were manufactured around the 2010 timeframe.

I called Sig CS with the S/N and the person I spoke to said that there were no 226s in the system with the TXDPS prefix.

Will post a couple of pics tonight. Any info would be appreciated.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mcs1564,

------------
SP2022 - 9mm

Posts: 1260 | Location: CT | Registered: January 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
The only SAO stainless 226 frame I have ever seen has been on an X5. That’s a keeper

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry I don't have any info to offer, but I'm curious - if you have the box, is the pistol identified as an SAO on the label? I'm wondering if someone converted a commemorative from DA/SA.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I remember hearing about a Texas Public Safety run like that, several years ago. 357SIG SAOs.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcs1564
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
The only SAO stainless 226 frame I have ever seen has been on an X5. That’s a keeper

It's interesting in that the frame shares a lot of features found on X5s.

quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
I'm sorry I don't have any info to offer, but I'm curious - if you have the box, is the pistol identified as an SAO on the label? I'm wondering if someone converted a commemorative from DA/SA.

The label is of the typical Sig special configuration variety - nothing to indicate SAO. From everything I've read is that the commemorative's were built as SAO which is interesting since I believe the DSP 226s are DAO.

It hasn't shipped yet, but, here's two pics from the original ad:

Another TXDPS Serial Numbered 226 (9mm):

The DPS 75th Anniversary Commemorative:

------------
SP2022 - 9mm

Posts: 1260 | Location: CT | Registered: January 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I normally don't like engraved guns, but that TXDPS looks real nice.

Btw, I recommend you call back to SIG later. Hopefully, you'll get another CSR who actually will look up the info, instead of pulling info out of thin air like the first one did. Roll Eyes

I tell you, SIG has so many low level CSRs, some of them probably couldn't care less about real customer service. Time and again, I've seen them give out inaccurate info. Here's another Roll Eyes

Q

Posts: 26379 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
so when you stick a magnet on the frame it sticks

Posts: 503 | Registered: January 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcs1564
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
I normally don't like engraved guns, but that TXDPS looks real nice.

Btw, I recommend you call back to SIG later. Hopefully, you'll get another CSR who actually will look up the info, instead of pulling info out of thin air like the first one did. Roll Eyes

I tell you, SIG has so many low level CSRs, some of them probably couldn't care less about real customer service. Time and again, I've seen them give out inaccurate info. Here's another Roll Eyes

Yeah, I'd have to agree on both counts.

There were a couple of reps that were really on the ball, but, their names escape me at the moment. I've been planning on giving CS another call, but, I haven't had the time this week.

------------
SP2022 - 9mm

Picture of mcs1564
posted Hide Post
The 226 came in last week and I finally had a chance to pick it up yesterday. Overall condition is close to mint.

The frame is definitely stainless and does share some of the same features as those seen on X5s of the period.

Will post some pics when I have a chance.

------------
SP2022 - 9mm

Picture of mcs1564
posted Hide Post
Just a couple of quick pics of the 226 after installing a set of walnut X5 grips:

I always thought I would prefer the P220, but, the SAO P226s are starting to multiply.

From the top: Legion, P226R currently running .30 Luger with trigger job by Robert Burke, and the stainless 226R

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mcs1564,

------------
SP2022 - 9mm

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Congrats on that recent addition to a fine-looking group of SIGs!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcs1564
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheFrontRange:
Congrats on that recent addition to a fine-looking group of SIGs!

Thanks! I wanted a stainless SAO without having to go to an X5. Of course, after looking at X5s for a while now, I find myself wanting one...

------------
SP2022 - 9mm