SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Springfield XD-S Mod.2 9mm
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Springfield XD-S Mod.2 9mm Login/Join 
posted
I may have missed previous posts on this one, but today am seeing press releases on yet another Sub-compact 9mm entry.

I'm not in the market for another small carry pistol at the present time, as my P938 and Shield 9mm fill that need for me, as well as a few 3rd Gen S&W compacts. Just curious if those of you in the shops have heard much buzz about this one yet?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Merc50,

Posts: 312 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
Springfield just announced it. I have no idea if any have been released into the wild yet. Springfield is taking jabs at the P365 in their advertising though.

Posts: 8273 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I think you mean XD-S

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
I think you mean XD-S

'S'......'X'...it all sounds the same.

XDS Mod2's been out for sale since March. Announced and shown at SHOT Show 2018, or just before. Starting shipping right after the buying shows in February. But no one's paying attention.

Couldn't have happened to a more deserving company.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are correct, Dusty. Yes "XD-S". Sorry for the confusion.

I did pick up on the jabs at the P320 when I read the SA ad. Guess we'll see how this one fares.

quote:
I think you mean XD-S

Posts: 312 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
quote:
I think you mean XD-S

XDS Mod2's been out for sale since March. Announced and shown at SHOT Show 2018, or just before. Starting shipping right after the buying shows in February. But no one's paying attention.

Wrong. The .45 has been out. They just now announced the 9mm.

Posts: 8273 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pittwm
posted Hide Post
The SA boys threw hands on their new ad .... “ reliability is more important than capacity”...

Posts: 5445 | Location: Paducah KY | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
What's the difference? Is there a grip zone??? Big Grin

Posts: 13094 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
It's an XDS with the "mod 2" style grip and texture.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
What's the difference? Is there a grip zone??? Big Grin

Grip Zone grip but nobody know where it is anymore since they took the words off.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by houndawg:
quote:
quote:
I think you mean XD-S

Technically not wrong. The XDS Mod2 has been out since March. I didn't specify caliber, nor did I intend to.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by houndawg:
quote:
quote:
I think you mean XD-S

Technically not wrong. The XDS Mod2 has been out since March. I didn't specify caliber, nor did I intend to.

This thread is about the 9mm, not the XD-S Mod.2 in general.

posted Hide Post
The XD-S Mod 2 9mm is larger than the original version. Wider and taller. Wonder why?

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
This thread is about the 9mm, not the XD-S Mod.2 in general.

And why not? Considering that the form factor is the same from 45 to 9 to 40 with the first generation XDS, the expectations should be the same the second time around. The first gen XDS 45 sold like gangbusters. The reboot, at least for our shop, has been a virtual non-mover. We've sold a single frickin' unit in these nearly five months since we first received them, and then we let one go at cost to another local shop whose owner is a friend of my boss. Yet in the same time we've also sold through our remaining back stock of first gen XDS 45s without any need to put them on discount. I have no doubts that we've could've sold even more had we not run out.

I don't expect the 9mm Mod2 to do any better, not with the feeding frenzy mania surrounding the 365 and SIG's apparent announcement at Triggrcon last weekend that they're finally ramping up production. For those who remain skeptical about the 365 like many of us here on the forum, the G43 and Shield 2.0 (with the occasional shout out to the PPS M2) will continue to feed the stragglers who are wary of the little SIG. I don't see any room for a pistol whose redesigned grip has generally been judged negatively by our own customers. Knowing him, our buyer will have ordered a few and who knows, maybe with some luck perhaps more than one will sell. Especially since this time it won't have any first gen 9mm back stock to compete against.

However it won't be getting any help or push from me.

posted Hide Post
Very interesting. So do you think the complaints with the Mod 2 are just about the grip texture or does the slightly larger size turn potential buyers off as well?

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JMag
posted Hide Post
The XD-S Mod 2 was actually downsized dimensionally from the XD-S Mod 2 .45. That was not the case with the original, and still excellent, XD-S .45s & 9mms. The 9mm was actually heavier in the original than the .45 due to more steel in the barrel.

JMag
"The truth is incontrovertible; malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is." ? Winston Churchill

Posts: 798 | Location: Southeastern U.S. | Registered: March 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
In our shop sales of the XDS Mod 2 45 mirrors soggy_spinout.

We got two of them in a few months back...February? We still have them. People familiar with the original XDS pistols seem to like the feel of the Mod 2 better. But they dont buy them.

The loaded chamber indicator on the Mod 2 catches a lot of customer complaints.

We have no word yet on when the 9mm will be at the distributors. But the manager says we won't be getting any. Not until we get rid of the ones we have. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had a couple of the 9mm’s come in yesterday. I prefer my XDS over a lot of the other small firearms. I do like the feel of the mod.2 grip over the old grip so eventually I will probably pick one of these up.

Posts: 1301 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are the magazines interchangeable between the original & Mod 2?

I have not checked one out, but I would say that based solely on their advertising and photos, the Mod 2 addresses my major complaints with the original: insufficient beavertail, flat slab grip, grip texture, sights, and slide width/shape. The downside is the loaded chamber indicator.

My XDs 9 has sat in the safe for at least 4 years. The gun runs flawlessly (~600 rounds) and is accurate, but the slide bite keeps it there. If the Mod 2 beavertail fixes that issue, I might find a use for the Mod 2.

Anybody want to swap a XDs 9 Mod 2 for a used Mod 1 (w/ completed recall)?

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post