SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P320 Gen 2 vs Gen 1
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 Gen 2 vs Gen 1 Login/Join 
Picture of sleepla8er
posted

I've read some posts about two generations of the P320.

Can anyone state when (date or serial number) this came about?

A couple of the posts refer to changes in the slide not just the change to the grip and slide lock...

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sleepla8er:

I've read some posts about two generations of the P320.

Can anyone state when (date or serial number) this came about?

A couple of the posts refer to changes in the slide not just the change to the grip and slide lock...

P320's do not appear to be assembled with sequentially numbered FCU's. I recently purchased a matching pair of P320C's from the same dealer who received them in the same shipment on the same day. Both had born-on-dates of 26 April 2017 yet one had a 58B serial number prefix while the other had a 58C prefix! I purchased a P320C in December 2016 with a 58A prefix. At the time, the dealer had several P320C's in stock with born-on-dates all within one week of one another. I was looking for a sequential pair but found no pattern to SIG's numbering system. In reference to your question, as with most product improvements, I doubt all of the Gen1 vs. Gen2 changes occurred at a specific serial number or on a specific ship date, but rather were phased in over a period of time.

Posts: 3505 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

What changes have we seen?

Redesign of Grip Module & Slide Release
Redesign of Extractor assembly

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:

In addition to the items you mention, I have noted the following:

Improved (no slap) trigger
Slim take-down lever
Omission of slide lightening cuts
End of guide rod flush with front of slide
Omission of COMPACT-MEDUIM (grip size) on the grip module
Various changes in barrel fonts
USA vs. Italian magazine

Posts: 3505 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I noticed in videos of the gen 1's that folks were having issues with the recoil spring being installed wrong, with the videos showing a square end with 2 holes. This square end causing problems if not installed straight up and down.
I noticed my recently manufactured P320 compact does NOT have this square ended recoil spring. It is now circular and cannot be installed wrong.

Posts: 62 | Registered: June 10, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The subcompacts have the square ends and have to be installed correctly. The full size and compacts recoil spring guides are round and can go any way you choose.

As for assembly it is hit or miss. My full size was made in December of last year and had gen 2 everything but he old style takedown lever. My compact, made later, had all gen2 components.

I think they just used up what they had.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
The subcompacts have the square ends and have to be installed correctly. The full size and compacts recoil spring guides are round and can go any way you choose.

As for assembly it is hit or miss. My full size was made in December of last year and had gen 2 everything but he old style takedown lever. My compact, made later, had all gen2 components.

The sub compacts and compacts are the same slide on a different frame right? How would a subcompact and compact slide have different recoil spring rods?
You sure it isn't just older models having them being phased out in all models?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AJRB:
quote:

The sub compacts and compacts are the same slide on a different frame right? How would a subcompact and compact slide have different recoil spring rods?

No, there are 3 slide lengths to go with 4 frame sizes. Full size, Compact (shared with Carry), and Sub-Compact.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyChryst:
quote:
Originally posted by AJRB:
quote:

No, there are 3 slide lengths to go with 4 frame sizes. Full size, Compact (shared with Carry), and Sub-Compact.

Ahh ok I see glad I asked. My thought was there were 2. Thanks for the heads up

Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:
quote:

In addition to the items you mention, I have noted the following:

Improved (no slap) trigger
Slim take-down lever
Omission of slide lightening cuts
End of guide rod flush with front of slide
Omission of COMPACT-MEDUIM (grip size) on the grip module
Various changes in barrel fonts
USA vs. Italian magazine

So these are all on the Gen 2s?

I have all of the above except I still have the words "Medium Compact" on the grip frame.

Posts: 865 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Was there really an official 'Gen 2' to the 320? Or is it more just continual development "as we go"? Most if not all of the described changes seem relatively minor in scope and consequence, and the sort of thing that just 'happens' as a relatively young product gets used, tested and refined.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
Changes have been made, but everything that I know of is backward and forward compatible. I can tell you that SIG and Grayguns do not separate the P320 into a "Gen 1" or "Gen 2."

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4990 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post