SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P320 replacement trigger OUCH
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 replacement trigger OUCH Login/Join 
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Umm, my FCU came apart in several pieces during install of my GGI trigger also. The YouTube video mentioned and about two hours of holding my tongue right got me through it. Nothing bad against GGI, it was completely my fault.. I just wish I had known it would come apart so easily.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
does this new trigger design fix the pinching? my finger on the bottom side seams to get pinched between the trigger and guard. after a few hundred rounds and the next day it reminds me.

Posts: 5594 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One conclusion dominates: a P320 needs the GGI trigger/spring replacement. [Possible exception is the P320 supplied to NRA for their review.]

A few P320 pistols will need a slight adjustment of the over-travel (on trigger bar) and the replacement of the spring requires some effort.

I have yet to encounter a P320 from the factory not needing trigger improvement. Just measured a P320F9 RX (intended for competition) which required almost 40 Newtons of force (over 8 pounds-force). My ardor for P320 is diminishing. It may be the old story of the results of success and resulting high volume.
Just an opinion.

Mac in Michigan

Posts: 504 | Location: Below the Bridge in Michigan | Registered: July 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
One conclusion dominates: a P320 needs the GGI trigger/spring replacement.

I dunno if I'd go that far. I will say that my Compact could use whatever GGI bits that take care of the double click, but in general the gun shoots like a fundamentally sound service gun should.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: soggy_spinout,

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
quote:

I dunno if I'd go that far. I will say that my Compact could use whatever GGI bits that take care of the double click, but in general the gun shoots like a fundamentally sound service gun should.

So far I am shooting the P320 RX better than the HK USP LEM it is replacing. I do not have a Lyman gauge and do not have the exact weight of mine, but it seems a bit heavier than the USP LEM. Nonetheless, I am shooting it better because it is a shorter pull with a more distinct reset. I will still end up trying a GGI trigger but first I want to see how good I can get with the stock trigger and see what it feels like after a few thousand rounds

Posts: 15 | Registered: March 13, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
quote:

I agree. I have the GGI PELT trigger (curved) installed in my P320C 9mm (Jan 2015). My observations:

1) The original stock trigger was just fine. It improves with use. Fast draw/fire drills from the holster produced the usual, consistent fist size groups at defensive distances. PELT trigger provided slightly better groups (insignificant) but improved slow-fire precision groups. Either provides satisfactory performance for fast defensive shooting.

2) The original stock trigger had NO double click issues. Regardless of which Grip Module Assembly (GMA) is used (C, SC) with the one FCU unit.

3) Installed only the PELT trigger. Did not install the GGI spring or sear pin. Trigger pull weight went from 8.0 lbs to 5 lbs 4 oz. Overall feel of trigger improved. However, the double click now appeared. Occasionally with the C GMA and always with the SC GMA. No explanation, since the PELT was supposed to eliminate/reduce the double click. As noted above, my P320 was an earlier version.

4) On a test basis, I used the GGI spring. Using the C GMA, the double click was 100%. It reduced the pull weight from the aforementioned 5 lbs 4 oz to 4 lbs 14 oz. I'm not a fan of overly light triggers and preferred the heavier. All measurements were conducted using the method mentioned in the GGI PELT video with a quality mechanical Timney gauge.

5) Regarding the double click. In the C GFA, it only occurs when the trigger is manipulated in an abnormal fashion. Very slowly, pressure off to the side on the trigger or finger placed on the very bottom of the trigger face. In the SC GFA it appears no matter how the trigger is manipulated. As noted by some P320 owners in other posts, it is not noticeable when live firing.

Regarding trigger pull weight. My own opinion is that too many shooters use absolute weight as a crutch for problems with fundamentals. My Wilson Pro came with a spectacular 3 1/2 lb clean, crisp trigger. It was too light for my tastes. With the original long trigger installed, a slightly misaligned finger would occasionally tap the side of the trigger and result in a slightly displaced hit. I installed a medium length trigger and tweaked the sear spring to produce a 4 lb trigger. I shoot better and more consistently with it now. Again, this is draw/fire drills, not precision slow-fire.

In summary, I did not NEED the PELT trigger. I bought it more out of curiosity than need. If I had to choose one or the other, I'd say either will get the job done for my style of shooting. I do prefer the "feel" of the PELT and the slightly improved slow-fire accuracy, but don't consider it a mandatory item. Fundamentals matter more.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just put one in and now it jiggles a bit. The trigger works fine, but I feel like some of the tension of the spring is gone and I don't like how it feels. Didn't take very long to change it out but don't think I did anything wrong to make it this way. Advice would be appreciated.

Former Owner of an MCX, MPX, P229 Stainless Elite ASE, P229 Legion, 516 fde, Mk25 9mm, P226 tacops 9mm, P226 Extreme 40, and a P320 I'm still trying to track down.

Posts: 69 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's always possible the spring was bent either when removed or replaced. Kinda like Trigger Bar Springs with the classic P-series E2 grip removal/installation.

It's difficult, if not impossible, to check whether the spring tension has been altered.

Did you use the original Sig spring or the GGI spring? The GGI is lighter. Also, did you install the GGI sear pin?

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I opted for the PELT curved trigger and replaced the sear housing pin. However, the lighter trigger bar spring did not appeal to me, so I went back to the stock trigger bar spring. Overall, a great improvement! My gun had already had GGi improvements before this upgrade. The YouTube videos on the trigger bar spring make it look so easy. NOT.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
Hi! Thank you all for your input and discussion! FYI, we reference our customers to an installation video which explains all of this. Our data suggests only a small percentage of our customers actually take a moment to watch it first, before inducing all of these preventable installation problems. It can be found on the P320 info page at grayguns.com, and on the net. Please, watch it yourselves if you haven't already, and spread the word?
Thanks!

-Bruce

Designer and custom pistolsmith at Grayguns Inc. Privileged to be R&D consultant to the world's greatest maker of fine firearms: SIG SAUER

Visit us at http://opspectraining.com/product-cat/videos/ to order yours, and Thank You for making GGI the leader in custom SIG and HK pistolsmithing and high-grade components.

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.
Grayguns.com / 888.585.4729

Posts: 9526 | Location: Reedsport & Spray, Oregon | Registered: October 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post