SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Old School P229
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old School P229 Login/Join 
Picture of bcjwriter
posted
So years ago I sold my P229 to a coworker - old school .40 Sigarms version. I later bought a Kimber TLE/RL II from him. He recently offered to trade me to get the 1911 back... The gun still looks near new. Looking forward to it coming home.

I’m also looking for any suggestions on good OWB holsters that help with the weight of the P229.

Posts: 1957 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 3 non-rail P229's purchased in 2003 and 2 railed P229's purchased within the past 2 years, one of which is a Legion P229. If wearing a holster with a positive weapon retention system is important to you, I'd recommend the Safariland 7376 7TS ALS holster. It's a bit bulky, but very, very tough, secure, and reliable. If you're looking for something with no retention devices (other than the holster conforming tightly to the weapon), I'd recommend a Blackpoint Leather Wing OWB holster or a Blade-tech Nano IWB holster. For my P229, I've configured the Safariland 7376 ALS holster with the Safariland 565BL high ride belt loop, and it (1) distributes the weight of a P229 well, so that it is comfortable to wear for 8-10 hours per day, and (2) keeps the gun just far enough off the body that it is easy to safely draw and reholster every time. One of the hardest things to find for any CCW handgun is a holster that keeps your shirt from interfering while drawing or reholstering. In my experience, the Safariland holster does this better than any other holster I've tried. Everyone's body type is different, and only certain holsters may feel comfortable and natural for you. But I suggest you look into the Safariland 7376 holster, and if that just looks/feels too big and bulky, take a look at the Blackpoint Tactical Leather WING OWB, which will keep your P229 secure and tight to your body, but also offer a fast, reliable draw stroke and secure reliable reholstering too.

Posts: 110 | Location: Chicago area | Registered: April 01, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I have been carrying a P229 almost every day for nearly 20 years in a Galco “Concealable.” I chose it because it had more forward cant than most similar holsters. The retail price of the holster has gotten crazy, but if I had to, I’d still consider another.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
The P229 is the 2nd (IIRC) Sig I ever bought. I got so addicted to it I went from one pistol and 3 calibers to having 3 separate 229's (40, 357 sig and 9mm) until I decided to consolidate calibers a couple years ago and sold all 3.

I still miss them to this day and your post makes me think about them again Frown

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
98.SiG and Rising
Picture of Sig Fever
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I have been carrying a P229 almost every day for nearly 20 years in a Galco “Concealable.” I chose it because it had more forward cant than most similar holsters. The retail price of the holster has gotten crazy, but if I had to, I’d still consider another.

The Galco Concealable is my favorite OWB holster. I wish that they made one for my P365.

Warning...SiGs are addictive, keep out of the reach of adults!

Blue Lives Matter: Thank a Police Officer for their Service!

Posts: 5795 | Location: Virginia USA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
I like Clinger Holsters.

You can buy the bundle and get three holsters in one. By spreading out the support you can help deal with the weight.

I've never used one with a no-rail P229, though I carried one for quite a while in a Milt Sparks VMII IWB holster.

Right now I use the Clinger holster previously called the "No Print Wonder" holster, for a P320 Carry and it handles the weight very well.

https://clingerholsters.com/pr...holster-package-deal

Or perhaps CrossBreed.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My circa-1994 P229 remains my favorite .40 to take shooting. A little worn but that ol' sucker is a sublime sweetheart of a gun.

Years ago I discovered that I'm not a big enough guy to comfortably carry a P229. Just Too Bulky. Wound up with a few pairs of oversized jeans as a result of trying to adapt to it for a half a year; I'm sure some Goodwill shopper put them to good use. I kept a OWB holster or two left over from the experience (just in case), but the other 'failures' got sold off on eBay or traded away.

-MG

Posts: 1932 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Good belt is way more important than the holster when it comes to carrying a heavier pistol. I like The Beltman.

As far as holsters, I carry a 229R daily as my duty weapon in plain clothes. My main leather holster is from Lobo Leather. It's an Enhanced Avenger and has served very well. Lobo is also one of the few makers who still do thumb breaks, which is sadly required by my agency. For Kydex with a WML I use Warrior Concealment.

When I carry a 229 or 228 off duty I tend to use a kydex rig from Gunfighter Inc or IWB from Off the Grid or a Milt Sparks VM2.

You want a good solid belt and a holster with the loops spread as far apart as you are comfortable with. It will spread the weight and increase stability.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
Galco Concealable is being recommended by guys that know.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
The Galco Concealable is one of my favorite holsters

Just remember to have a quality gun belt to go with the holster

I have been getting my belts from BullhideBelts.com for many years

Leather and exotic belts of very high quality at very reasonable prices

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by copaup:
Good belt is way more important than the holster when it comes to carrying a heavier pistol. .

Agreed!

I can vouch for AndrewsLeather, Mernickle and DillonPrecison

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Check out Mitch Rosen holsters. Truly beautiful leather.

https://mitchrosen.com/product...sters/belt-holsters/

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love the Safariland 7378 7TS ALS holsters. I use them with my circa 2000 P229's. I don't have to worry about the gun falling out of the holster, and drawing is very natural with the big release lever.

"Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, three times is enemy action." - Ian Fleming

Posts: 547 | Location: MA | Registered: March 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out Desantis for OWB holster.

Posts: 185 | Registered: December 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
I might have an extra owb quality one you can have. Let me check later today and I will let you know.
Right handed?

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1851 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whododat:
I might have an extra owb quality one you can have. Let me check later today and I will let you know.
Right handed?

Yes. Thank you that would be awesome!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bcjwriter,

Posts: 1957 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
Email sent.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1851 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Picked up an older non rail 229 myself. Looking forward to getting it and heading to the range. Anything to keep an eye on the older one? What mag would these take?

Posts: 36 | Location: Florida  | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jasnake65:
Picked up an older non rail 229 myself. Looking forward to getting it and heading to the range. Anything to keep an eye on the older one? What mag would these take?

Talking holsters. Might want to start another thread to discuss magazines and tips.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post