SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Correctly guess this gun part and win a nice mystery Karma *** WINNER = soggy_spinout ***
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Correctly guess this gun part and win a nice mystery Karma *** WINNER = soggy_spinout *** Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
This darn thing fell out while I was shooting today. The gun, however, continued to shoot until completion of range session. I only have SIG, Glock, and Ruger pistols.

Size: Its greatest dimension is 1 cm.

One guess per person. First correct guess will win a mystery prize. Cool

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 12131,

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Working for Water
Picture of Chance228
posted Hide Post
Part of front sight from Mark series semi-auto?

Posts: 1050 | Location: Central New Jersey | Registered: February 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Part of decocker from a sig?

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Part of hammer strut?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
One of the ears on the front of a Ruger .22 mk pistol recoil assembly. Where it nestles into the bolt?

Not the fork end but the front of this.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Volqu...3:g:tqMAAOSw0odbwQSK

I don’t mean to get all technical. Wink

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
The broken off tip of a Glock trigger bar?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mainspring housing latch for a MK series Ruger pistol.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimg1960
posted Hide Post
Top part of a straight trigger of a 365

Posts: 301 | Location: Tennessee  | Registered: July 08, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
The thing that goes up.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10861 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Skins2881 is correct.
Ruger hammer strut MarkII pistol

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ruger mark 2 mainspring housing latch

Posts: 1067 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
High Speed Low Drag
Operator in the Innis Mode
Picture of Ke Bo Li
posted Hide Post
used to be part of the case extractor

I think the "check engine" light is burned out

Posts: 710 | Location: Portland,OR | Registered: October 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
A piece of the locking insert out of a SIG.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Just for the record no matter what it is. “The thing that goes up” gets an honerable mention. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
A piece of the locking insert out of a SIG.

DING! WINNER!
Congrats, soggy. That's amazing. I don't know if you're into long guns much, and if so, would you care for a LNIB Aimpoint PRO. All yours. Let me know.

So, this is what happened today. I was continuing my endurance testing of the Ni P228. Today was day 4 of 5 of 1000 rds each day. The gun has not been cleaned for the 4 days. Suddenly, at rd # 23,650, the trigger was stuck and failed to reset. I thought it was due to so much crud inside. I jiggled it a little and it reset. Then, I looked down on the platform, there was this little piece just laying there. Had no idea what it was. I took off the slide and did some inspection. Nothing out of the ordinary jumped out. So, I put the piece away to study it at home, put the slide back and continued shooting until ammo ran out (#24,000). There was no further malfunctions. And, when I got home and took everything out, there it was, the locking insert was fractured. Eek Of all the things that can break, the locking insert is the last thing I expected to go first. Luckily, I have 2 spare locking inserts. So, the new one is now in, and the gun is ready for more action.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Awesome. Congrats Soggy and thanks 12131 for all the fun.

Bummer about the broken part on the 228.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10861 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking that maybe the locking insert broke "prematurely" probably because of the extended recoil spring replacement intervals? Almost 24k rounds is still pretty good but replacing the recoil spring more frequently would have likely let it go considerably longer I would imagine.

Congrats soggy!

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dtech:
I'm thinking that maybe the locking insert broke "prematurely" probably because of the extended recoil spring replacement intervals? Almost 24k rounds is still pretty good but replacing the recoil spring more frequently would have likely let it go considerably longer I would imagine.

Congrats soggy!

Glad you brought up the recoil spring, because I discovered that the old P228 spring is built differently than the newer "white" P229 replacement spring. The old spring is stronger and longer. As stated in the testing thread, the original spring was replaced at 12k. The gun was run until 20k. Then, it was sent to SIG for the SSP. I got it back on 3/18. First thing I noticed was how softer/weaker and shorter the new white spring is compared to the P228 spring that already had 8k rounds though it. That was quite a surprise. And now, after 4k rounds with the white spring, it is even weaker. So, if there's blame to be assigned, I'd say the white spring is culprit, imo. I wonder why they change quality of the spring. What do you all think?

Q

Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
That's not a gun part, it's a piece of a gun part. Smile
I never would have guessed it.

Posts: 4816 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Yes, unfortunately, the more the gun manufacturers try to consolidate things and cut corners, the worse they make it for the consumer, and ultimately themselves whether they think that the consumers "will never notice the difference", making a few extra cents or bucks, etc.. I'll keep my other thoughts on that for another thread I'm thinking about posting about other observations of quality issues and manufacturing changes observed in recent years and my personal experiences in the last few months, so back on topic.

I have both a P229 and a P228 parts kit. I included a picture of them below. The P229 kit clearly has the white spring and the P228 has the original P228 spring that belongs in the P228 just as 12131 has posted in his spring picture, I even counted the coils. 11 for the P229 and 13 for the P228 spring. Not only does the P228 spring have more coils that are closer together, it is a little longer than the P229 spring too. I'm glad I grabbed to P228 parts kit when I did for my KG two tone P228 but unfortunately it is the only one I have for it.

The concerns for anyone with a P228 though are that the P229 spring is indeed going to allow the P228 to beat itself up more quickly because of the spring difference since the P229 spring is also designed to manipulate a heavier milled slide that absorbs more of the recoil and requires less dampening than a lighter folded steel slide like in the P228. It would seem that even if the springs have identical uncompressed tension ratings, the fact the original P228 spring has two more coils and is longer should slow the slide down more smoothly and also return the slide back to battery more smoothly as well. At least that is what it seems like from 12131's testing.

I guess this is a good lesson for all of us that if we plan to keep a gun for a long period of time, we should invest in enough original spare parts for as long as we intend to keep it because you never know when the manufacturer may make a change or stop supporting a gun altogether.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post