SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock 26 or 43??? Decided to give the 43 a try. What mag extensions?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock 26 or 43??? Decided to give the 43 a try. What mag extensions? Login/Join 
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
All your 27 holsters/mag holders will work with the 26. So less money will need to be spent.

Will the sights on your 27 work with either gun, and duty round? That's another expense/savings consideration.

Also, I don't find the 26/27 difficult to conceal at all, so the size difference does little for me. The 43 would be slightly more comfortable on the ankle though.

As you point out using full-size 17 mags as spares is another plus. I also think the larger grip on the 26/27 fills my hand better, making it easier to shoot well. However I have long fingers, and use the large back strap on gen 4 Glocks, and always used a regular trigger and Bogue finger groove grips on my Classic P-series SIGs.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
In my thinking, the only reason to go with the 43 over the 26 is that the 26 is to big (wide) for you to carry. You've been carrying a 27 for over a decade, so you CAN carry the 26. I think that's your answer right there.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
I've been EDCing a Glock 19 since 2005 when I switched over from the SIG Da/Sa system.

For me, it is the Glock 43 - it fits my hand better. The 26 doesn't do it for me, even though the Gen 4 26 fits better with the smallest grip option.

Now for my wife, she EDCs the 26; a 3rd Gen. It fits her hand and the 43 is to thin for her as well as being "snappy".

To the OP, try both then decide.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1898 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I opted for the 43, single stack, thinner lighter and carry a spare mag which is light, work better for me in hot summer carry. Have the 19 for when I want a larger carry.

To me it's either the 19 or the 43, if you can only have one I'd get the 26 since it splits the difference between the two.

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fuimus
posted Hide Post
26 and you can use the G17 mags if your G17 becomes disabled.

The 43 is too small in my opinion.

Posts: 5369 | Location: Ypsilanti Township | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Sold my 26 because I shoot thr 43 better and it carries easier.

Posts: 4611 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only answer is BOTH, and a G19 as well.

G19 with a light for the house - I use a Surefire XC1 because I like the small size and that fact that it was almost obviously designed for the G19, and you can get decent holsters for a G19/XC1 combo

G26 for OWB carry

G43 for IWB or hideout

Throw in a G42 as well for the hell of it. Just make sure it's a newer one with the -03 mags.

Why? Why not? Mine are dead stock with factory mags, and Glock night sights (G19 came with them installed, the rest I ordered from the Glock web site and installed myself with the MGW tool)

They all shoot just fine, even with Gold Dot 124+P short barrel ammo in the 43. Yes the 43 is a bit jumpy and can twist a little so it takes a firmer hold. But it's still very shootable and accurate.

The G42 is a great .380. The bigger size than the micro .380's makes it much better to actually shoot. It's reliable with the latest revision mags, and a bit smaller than the G43, with lower recoil.

Get them all, mix and match as needed. But I can't shoot a G17 because the finger grooves are too widely spaced for me.

Posts: 4713 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the way the 43 feels in my hand more than the 26. But my vote is for the 26 so you can slap a 33 rounder in and fight off zombies Wink

Posts: 1304 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
43 with a pearce +1 extension, works for me, The 26 feels like it's missing half the grip.

Posts: 5594 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
A couple of things from the perspective of a long time street cop.

The whole "it shares magazines" thing is a selling point for manufacturers. There is no evidence, stories, urban legends, nada, that anyone has ever saved a life by inserting a duty weapon magazine.

FURTHERMORE- There is no evidence, stories, urban legends, nada that anyone died from not being able to reload off of their belt prior to this becoming an option with the new breed of subcompacts.

So, the whole loading off of your belt thing is a non-starter for me. Is it nice to have? Sure thing. Do some really like it? You bet. Am I a fan? Not really. See, I could never pour any speed on, especially under stress, with the G27. Matter of fact, I hated the gun. So, I swapped mine for a G26. I carried 61 rounds of .40 on my belt, and 13 rounds of 9mm on my ankle. Didn't die because of it. I then found out that I could shoot the M&P9c faster under stress. I ditched the G26 and went with a 9c. And that is my current carry.
But, it and the G26 is a brick on your ankle day in and out, 8-10-12 hours per day, five or six days a week.
I'm starting to think that for the role of a "back up" gun, that the G42-43 is probably the better choice. About 10 ounces lighter on the ankle. A lighter gun means that you'll carry it more consistently. I know that I can shoot the G42 really fast. I'm sure that I can shoot the 43 as fast, but just don't have a lot of time on them.

Certainly people have strong opinions on the subject. But, my opinion spurs from being a beat cop having carried everything from a j frame to a Walther PPK, and everything in between. The heft of the larger G26 and 9c becomes really apparent in foot pursuits.

YMMV.

I dont know that it's a matter of dying from not being aple to top off from a duty belt, but he miracle of Glock (and increasingly other systems) is that the option is there. It's why I drop a G32 magazine in my pocket if I'm carrying a G33, or why one's reload for a G26 may just as well be a G17 or G19 magazine.

Short one in the pistol for compactness and concealability. The reload need not be that restricted. The plan may be that there's no reload needed for the backup...but the second pistol is there precisely because things may not always work according to plan. Is it critical that the backup magazine matches the duty weapon? Of course not. Does it hurt? Not in the least. Why not?

Many who carry a backup firearm carry the same weapon privately, off hours. In that case, it becomes their primary firearm. Additional magazines are prudent for malfunctions, availability, capacity. If the choice is a G26, why carry additional G26 magazines, when a G17 or G19 could be just as easily had? If that's the case, compatability in a duty scenario is certainly no handicap.

That returns to the bulk and weight issue, which is personal choice, and it also comes down to how and where you carry the second weapon. If you do choose to carry additional ammunition for a backup firearm, you're already carrying it if you choose one that's compatible with your duty weapon, no? Less weight, bulk. Seems to make sense.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I have both and find that I have use for both of them. I carry the 26 a few times a month and the 43 most of the time. When I go to places with a lot of people, I prefer to have a bit more capacity of the G26 with 11 rounds in the gun and a 15 round G19 mag reload.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
I dont know that it's a matter of dying from not being aple to top off from a duty belt, but he miracle of Glock (and increasingly other systems) is that the option is there. It's why I drop a G32 magazine in my pocket if I'm carrying a G33, or why one's reload for a G26 may just as well be a G17 or G19 magazine.

Short one in the pistol for compactness and concealability. The reload need not be that restricted. The plan may be that there's no reload needed for the backup...but the second pistol is there precisely because things may not always work according to plan. Is it critical that the backup magazine matches the duty weapon? Of course not. Does it hurt? Not in the least. Why not?

Many who carry a backup firearm carry the same weapon privately, off hours. In that case, it becomes their primary firearm. Additional magazines are prudent for malfunctions, availability, capacity. If the choice is a G26, why carry additional G26 magazines, when a G17 or G19 could be just as easily had? If that's the case, compatability in a duty scenario is certainly no handicap.

That returns to the bulk and weight issue, which is personal choice, and it also comes down to how and where you carry the second weapon. If you do choose to carry additional ammunition for a backup firearm, you're already carrying it if you choose one that's compatible with your duty weapon, no? Less weight, bulk. Seems to make sense.

Your post really reminds me of the guys that hang all kinds of stuff on a patrol rifle and say "Why not". Until the first time they have to hold perimeter for more than two minutes. Then they put the rifle on a diet to cut weight. Ounces equal pounds, pounds equal pain.

Weight is not a huge concern to some. But, for someone that has to carry the back up gun, plus all the other stuff that has to be carried on the batman belt, it can be an issue. Not that much weight, eh? Stand on hot pavement in shoes that aren't comfortable for a couple of hours directing traffic around an injury collision on a busy roadway. This after having been in a lengthy foot pursuit through the projects, up and down stairs an hour earlier. Without eating for the last 10 hours.

And this issue is real to the point that it causes more officers than want to admit they leave the back up gun at home at times because "they don't feel like carrying it". And I mean good officers, not the ones who aren't going to carry a back up anyways because their gun isn't any more important to them than their computer. It is just another piece of gear.
And that is what we are talking about here. A patrol officer, whom I know well, asking for advice about a patrol setting.

We can take a contrarian position because we can, we can wax poetic all day, every day extolling over the benefits of this or that, but at the end of that day, weight and ease of carry on the ankle is the greatest factor for carrying a back up gun for the po-leece. Weight, and subsequent ease of carry on the ankle is the largest factor. (Caveat- If both weapons systems can be shot at about the same level. If the lighter gun is impossible to shoot at a high level, then it isn't in the running. In the case of the 42/43, the little guns can be shot well)

Something is only logical if you factor in all the factors. When you factor all the stuff you have to carry, with job tasks and 8-12 hour shifts, it becomes a no brainer.

And I'm not even going into the guys that I know that have slung off an ankle gun running after someone. And it has happened to more people than I can count on both hands. And they had good holsters.

It is easy to MMQB and tell a person that they should do this or that. BTDT. But, you have to prioritize based upon most likely to least likely. Everything is a trade off. And I would rather see people learn from the mistakes that I have seen first hand, and in some cases made. I left a steel framed j frame laying on the sidewalk in the projects many years ago after a lengthy foot pursuit. It is no fun going back with that "OH SHIT" feeling. And I have a feeling that many of the older SF LEOs here will smile when they read that because they have been there too.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Your post really reminds me of the guys that hang all kinds of stuff on a patrol rifle and say "Why not". Until the first time they have to hold perimeter for more than two minutes. Then they put the rifle on a diet to cut weight. Ounces equal pounds, pounds equal pain.

Jerry, you quoted me so presumably you're replying to me, as you've directly addressed me, but it doesn't appear that you read anything I wrote.

I said nothing about patrol rifles. They're irrelevant. So is "holding perimeter." Patrol officers aside, people hold real perimeters all over the world for extended periods, along with extended patrols, with equipment on rifles; quite irrelevant to the discussion and certainly nothing I touched on. Not sure how I remind you of people who hang crap on their patrol rifles, but whatever.

quote:
Weight is not a huge concern to some. But, for someone that has to carry the back up gun, plus all the other stuff that has to be carried on the batman belt, it can be an issue. Not that much weight, eh?

If someone doesn't need additional magazines for their backup firearm, that's less weight. Not more. Which is what I said. Did you read it?

quote:
And that is what we are talking about here. A patrol officer, whom I know well, asking for advice about a patrol setting.

Are you suggesting that no one else need reply? I don't know the officer who posted the question. Is it okay if I reply, too?

quote:
We can take a contrarian position because we can, we can wax poetic all day, every day extolling over the benefits of this or that, but at the end of that day, weight and ease of carry on the ankle is the greatest factor for carrying a back up gun for the po-leece. Weight, and subsequent ease of carry on the ankle is the largest factor.

I didn't take a "contrarian position." In which part of my post did I "wax poetic?"

Whether one chooses to carry on the ankle, on the pocket, beneath a vest, behind their sam browne, or some other method, is up to them. There are advantages and disadvantages to every method of carry.

Those who choose a particular method will need to deal with the disadvantages, and if those are unacceptable, then find an alternate solution.

The original poster may have sought input from those who own, carry, or otherwise have some knowledge of the G26 or G43. There may be more than one road to Rome.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't like any of the options discussed vs a p938, save the g19.

Yes you can get a bad p938, but if you get a good one, they are laserbeam accurate with virtually no muzzle flip due to the small size.

I'm sure some won't agree, but for a small single stack 9, I find the glock 43 vs the competition to be the worst in some important categories, including felt recoil, and capacity.

Not hating on glock, as I feel all things being equal the g19 is the 'best'semi auto ever made for application as a general tool for all scenarios, assuming you have the option of carrying in a holster.

-Freq

Posts: 192 | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Freq18Hz:
I don't like any of the options discussed vs a p938, save the g19.

Yes you can get a bad p938, but if you get a good one, they are laserbeam accurate with virtually no muzzle flip due to the small size.

I'm sure some won't agree, but for a small single stack 9, I find the glock 43 vs the competition to be the worst in some important categories, including felt recoil, and capacity.

Not hating on glock, as I feel all things being equal the g19 is the 'best'semi auto ever made for application as a general tool for all scenarios, assuming you have the option of carrying in a holster.

-Freq

Funny thing about the 43 is that it is smaller than most pistols in the same class (striker fired). It is about the same size as the 938. The Shield and XDS are about the same size.

Weight in nominal. We have 50 or so XDS 9mms in service where I work. They are a popular gun with detectives. A few Shields. A few M&P9c. A few five shots. The rest are Glock 26/27/42/43.

Out of all of them, I think I like the XDS the best from a shoot ability standpoint. The rest I shoot about equally in the small single stack category. The 938 is in a world of its own. Like a laser.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Ended up grabbing a 43 yesterday. Been putting off and waffling back and forth which I wanted to do.
I wanted something smaller for daily carry and a little less on the ankle.
Figure if I don't like it I'll sell it and won't be out much.

I see Pierce mentioned for the +1.
Anyone have any success with the Suarez +2? Looks like a nice piece.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Look at the Taran Tactical +1. Very minimal added mag height. Expensive but well made.

You could experiment with Magguts G43 product. +1 with no extension.

ETS makes a 7 round flush fit complete mag.

Anything +2 is going to cause a significant increase in grip length. If you're okay with that, there are lots of choices.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mag extensions on an ultra compact make absolutely zero sense to me- you go out and buy the smallest possible platform in a given design/brand / caliber specifically for its size then Run out and make it bigger?!

Posts: 3288 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the interest of full disclosure my every day carry is a Sig P229 in 357Sig, that having been said I have a Glock 22, 23 and 26 that I like and shoot well. A few months back I bought a Glock 43 for my wife but didn't fire it until yesterday. The wife complained from day one she didn't like the ergonomics. We made a joint trip to the range yesterday, I fired the 43, it fed every type of ammo I had, no complaints about accuracy, it just doesn't feel right to me. Don't have a bad thing to say about the Glock 43, just don't like it. If I had to choose between the Glock 26 and 43, the 26 would be my choice.

NRA Benefactor

Posts: 106 | Location: State of Confusion | Registered: July 05, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will fear no evil..
Psalm 23:4
posted Hide Post
Great choice on the 43. It's so compact and light I forget I have it sometimes. I went with the inexpensive Vickers/Tango down plus 2 extenders. Very easy to install and wont break the bank. The 43 on the ankle is extremely comfortable as well.

Posts: 947 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post