SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock 26 or 43??? Decided to give the 43 a try. What mag extensions?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock 26 or 43??? Decided to give the 43 a try. What mag extensions? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
I have carried a 27 on my ankle as a backup gun and IWB off duty going on 11 years now since the 22 has been our primary.
We are getting ready to switch to the the 17 and I will not be allowed to carry the 27 anymore. So it is going the way of the dodo.
So do I go with the 43 for something a little smaller or do I stick with the size status quo just in a different caliber?
I like the idea of something smaller and thinner on the ankle but don't particularly like having less rounds when I am carrying off duty.
I also like being able to use 17 mags in the 26.
I was hoping to get a 26 out of property and not have to buy one which would have made the decision for me but no such luck. So since I am forking out the coin, I am not sure which to go with.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Black92LX,

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25356 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You'll shoot the G26 better than the G43.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
26. Heavier of course, but shoots so nice. I didn't like the 43 as much.

Not being a police officer, but having spent time carrying a lot of stuff, I understand the weight issue. I'd get the Gen 4 G26 still. Magazine compatibility is nice.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8340 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
Ive kept my g26 for years but have bought and sold 2 G43s...

I can understand people who like or need the 43 better. But i carry the 26 just as well.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a cop, the 26. As a civilian, it doesn't matter much. The mag compatability and capacity is an issue for you. Carry as many rounds as you can. You never know when you must engage, and we want you around.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
The 43 will hide better, no two ways about it.

But, the familiarity with the system will make the 26 feel like home.

You already hit the important stuff, it's just a matter of deciding what's more important for you. If low weight and concealment rank higher on your list, get the 43. If shared mags and more ammo rank higher for you, go with the 26.

Make a list of your needs, with one being the highest or most desirable in a concealed weapon and ten being the lowest - if you get that far.

Then buy the one that hits the most points near the top.

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Buy the 26. Or the 19 if you're not planning on ankle carry.

I used to carry the 33 but started carrying my 32 off duty.

A bunch of new guys are buying and carrying the 43 off duty but I still stick with my 32.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
The 26. The mag compatibility with your duty weapon alone makes it a no brainer. It's also incredibly shootable, even moreso than the 27.

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Between these two, the G26. It carries more firepower and as you already alluded to, works with the G17's magazines. Plus you're already used to the G26's dimensions because of your previous ankle carry gun. In this company the G26 is easier of the two to shoot, with noticeably less recoil and similar characteristics to the larger G19. The lone thing the G43 has going for itself is that its narrower girth makes the gun easier to carry than the double stack. But unless this point has now become a hot button concern, the G26 is the better choice.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
26 is where I was leaning as it's size was the only advantage I could come up with. Which in turn is a disadvantage due to round count.
Never had a 43 so just figured I would see.
Thanks for the comments.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25356 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
I have carried a 27 on my ankle as a backup gun and IWB off duty going on 11 years now since the 22 has been our primary.
We are getting ready to switch to the the 17 and I will not be allowed to carry the 27 anymore. So it is going the way of the dodo.
So do I go with the 43 for something a little smaller or do I stick with the size status quo just in a different caliber?
I like the idea of something smaller and thinner on the ankle but don't particularly like having less rounds when I am carrying off duty.
I also like being able to use 17 mags in the 26.
I was hoping to get a 26 out of property and not have to buy one which would have made the decision for me but no such luck. So since I am forking out the coin, I am not sure which to go with.

Morning Black92LX

That is a difficult call for us to help you decide as you are the one that needs to carry it & possibly use it.

All I can add is that I have carried G-27 for years as my primary. (I'm not sure I could daily carry a G26 or G27 in an ankle rig though)

Then carried the G-27 in cooler weather wearing heavier clothes & carrying the G-43 in warmer (shorts & Tee shirt) weather.

Now that I have done a LOT of training with the G-43 I now mostly carry the G-43 all year round.

Yeas ago I carried the S&W 5 shot snubbie as a primary then as a backup & didn't feel under gunned so the G-43 holds more rounds, has more power, has better bullets, & I definitely shoot it better than my old snubbie.

I don't have large hands so the G-43 fits my hand OK, if you have large hands then the G-43 might be a little small in the grip for you & large hands might slightly hinder the mag dropping free in a quick mag change situation (even with my smaller hands I had to change my mag drop/gun hold procedure as I could sometimes get a mag hang-up on tactical mag drops)

The only thing that I have done to my G-43 is to add a plain steel black rear sight & add a front orange dot night sight. (I don't like rear night sights as there are too many glowing dots to deal with in an adrenalin fueled situation)

About the only advise I have is (IF) you decide to try the G-43 then to plan on training with it a lot, & shooting it a lot, to get a good feel for how to shoot it accurately & get quick reloads down pat. (my personal G-43 is a great accurate shooter but it took a lot of practice for (me) to shoot it up to it's potential).

Posts: 125 | Registered: October 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I struggle with getting a really good grip on the 43, I'm constantly adjusting and maybe that would get better with time. I'm a 26 kinda guy. Theres something magical about that little gun.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wrestled with that choice for a year. Sold 26's, bought 43's, vice versa, shot them all with different ammo, etc... changed sights, etc..bought 2 tone ones, all black, etc..
While I agree with Para that generally one can shoot the G26 better, with plenty of practice i found that the G43 is a real accurate gun. Different grip, more snap, but uncannily accurate for its size.
You will laugh when i tell you what finally swung it for me. I was in my G43 phase and ordered a FIST inside the pant kydex holster. I think it was $35. When i slipped the package into my waist band it really hit me how easy it is to carry the 43-literally so thin its like its almost not there. In winter, with a heavy carhart jacket (which you really can't do with the 26) i have also put it in a pocket, but its a little heavy for a true, extended pocket carry in my opinion.
Either way i do not think you can go wrong as they are both awesome pistols.

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
I'll echo the sentiment that shared magazine compatibility would be the deciding factor for me.

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For backup carry if your'e switching to the G17, it's a no-brainer. The G26, especially if you're comfortable and practiced with a G27 on your ankle. The G26 will be everything you need it to be.

That said, I'd also get the G43. It's an excellent pocket tool in a light flexible holster. I often carry mine in a DeSantis. Depending on what I'm wearing, a G26, G27, or G33 works fine in a pocket, and I did holster carry for quite a few years with a G27. However, the G43 is just that much flatter that it carries comfortably and disappears, and it's just that much easier to draw from certain pants pockets that I use it frequently. I drop two extra magazines in side pockets with sewn in mag retainers. For an ankle holster, it's a bit lighter, but not much of an advantage, but if your'e wearing it tucked under a light shirt such as a tee shirt, or in the pocket, the G43 is great.

Get both.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
Had the same question myself about 6 months ago.
Initially wanted the 43 as I thought it would conceal better but decided on the (Gen 3) 26 instead.
Being a little more comfortable to hold (the back strap 'hump' is in exactly the correct place) and greater ammo capacity than the 43 initially swayed my decision.
The 26 actually conceals better (IWB) than my 9mm S&W Shield or SIG P938, although holster selection is likely part of the difference.
No regrets whatsoever on the choice.

Might add that since Glock first came to the USA until about 2 years ago I was one of the 'Never will buy a Glock' crowd.
The 26 is now one of the pistols I would likely never get rid of.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
I struggle with getting a really good grip on the 43, I'm constantly adjusting and maybe that would get better with time. I'm a 26 kinda guy. Theres something magical about that little gun.

Talons and Pearce +1 solved it for me. Pearce +1 extensions are the same size as the extended OEM magazine.

OP, get both. There are times when I prefer to use one or the other.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
A couple of things from the perspective of a long time street cop.

The whole "it shares magazines" thing is a selling point for manufacturers. There is no evidence, stories, urban legends, nada, that anyone has ever saved a life by inserting a duty weapon magazine.

FURTHERMORE- There is no evidence, stories, urban legends, nada that anyone died from not being able to reload off of their belt prior to this becoming an option with the new breed of subcompacts.

So, the whole loading off of your belt thing is a non-starter for me. Is it nice to have? Sure thing. Do some really like it? You bet. Am I a fan? Not really. See, I could never pour any speed on, especially under stress, with the G27. Matter of fact, I hated the gun. So, I swapped mine for a G26. I carried 61 rounds of .40 on my belt, and 13 rounds of 9mm on my ankle. Didn't die because of it. I then found out that I could shoot the M&P9c faster under stress. I ditched the G26 and went with a 9c. And that is my current carry.
But, it and the G26 is a brick on your ankle day in and out, 8-10-12 hours per day, five or six days a week.
I'm starting to think that for the role of a "back up" gun, that the G42-43 is probably the better choice. About 10 ounces lighter on the ankle. A lighter gun means that you'll carry it more consistently. I know that I can shoot the G42 really fast. I'm sure that I can shoot the 43 as fast, but just don't have a lot of time on them.

Certainly people have strong opinions on the subject. But, my opinion spurs from being a beat cop having carried everything from a j frame to a Walther PPK, and everything in between. The heft of the larger G26 and 9c becomes really apparent in foot pursuits.

YMMV.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
The only thing I can see the G43 doing better then a G26 is ankle carry. I wanted to like the 43 but it just doesn't bring much if anything to the table then a 26 does.

All my high drag low speed opinion of course.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
tried the 43, but just could not bring myself to make the purchase with what the G26 has given me. ankle carry could be a different animal, but i have the MP Shield for that if need be.

Posts: 6727 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: November 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post