SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P226 SL SO, made in 2005, proofed in 2018 - An unexpected journey /// ** Range Report, p.2 **
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P226 SL SO, made in 2005, proofed in 2018 - An unexpected journey /// ** Range Report, p.2 ** Login/Join 
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Outstanding.
Eagerly anticipating range report.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
It has chamfers machined onto its upper and lower edges of the frames rail. I dont recall seeing that on regular ST guns. Nice gun Q.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of thumbbreak
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous.

Posts: 192 | Location: Texas | Registered: December 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is a beauty. The top end of that gun is much newer than the frame. It would be interesting to know how they came together.

Posts: 239 | Registered: April 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where did you get those grips? I checked out the link you had on the post but no grips there.

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
Great story and great looking gun. Bet range time will be great too.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
RANGE REPORT: 8/19/20

Ammo - 250 rounds
100 GECO 115 FMJ - no malfunctions
50 Fiocchi 124 FMJ - no malfunctions
50 Magtech 124 FMJ - 2 identical malfunctions (discussed below)
50 Speer Lawman 124 TMJ - no malfunctions

Observations - As noted in the OP, trigger is a little on the heavy side. I'm so used to triggers that have been worked on so, this is not very pleasant to me. Also, being used to triggers with short reset, shooting this one without any (SRT or QTR) during rapid sequences is almost like relearning, because you squeeze too early before the reset, resulting in nonfiring. Strange sensation it was.

Now, onto the 2 malfunctions. After 100 rds of GECO and 50 rds of Fiocchi, next up was Magtech. After 10 rds, the next one went click. Checked the gun and it looked like either a failure to extract or maybe simple failure to fully return to battery (see pics below). But, the slide was locked solid. Would not budge, back or forth. Asked to range guy for some muscle. Nope, wouldn't budge, either. Then, he did the maneuver that is somewhat similar to mortaring of the stuck case in the AR-15. Gripped the slide firmly and gave the backstrap a big whack, and out came the live round. Checked the round over, I saw nothing obviously out of the ordinary that would explain the malfunction. Shot the next 10 rounds no problems. Then, *BAM*, the exact same thing happened again. This time, I was able to whacked it out myself using the same maneuver. Saw nothing obviously wrong with this round, either. By this time, I said to myself, I've seen enough Magtech. So, onto the next 50 rds of Speer without any issues.

So, now I have 30 rds of Magtech left, including the 2 "bad" rounds. Should I pack up and go home, or should I take another chance with Magtech? Finally, I said screw it, I'll give you a 3rd chance, better not fail me. Luckily, all went without a hitch. That's great, but I'm at a loss trying to explain what heck happened with the 2 malfunctions.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous! Still enjoying that P226 Combat I won from you.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Junk ammo is junk ammo. Shooting more junk ammo will have the same outcome IMO. Still hoping for some idea where I might find those blue grips?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Those grips were sold on SIG's website for a brief time last year. After they sold out, that was it.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Were the truncated cone rounds the ones which caused the slide not to lock? What brand are those?

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Were the truncated cone rounds the ones which caused the slide not to lock? What brand are those?

Those are Fiocchi. They were not the problem ones.

Q