SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P226 SL SO, made in 2005, proofed in 2018 - An unexpected journey /// ** Range Report, p.2 **
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P226 SL SO, made in 2005, proofed in 2018 - An unexpected journey /// ** Range Report, p.2 ** Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
Back in early March, right when the Rona crap was getting in full swing, something possessed me to order this P226 SL SO from Tim Rothe in Germany. Maybe it's because I noticed the interesting billboard on the gun. After the initial communications and payment was wired, the man went radio silence for a bit, and I thought, oh no, he's been hit by the virus, and my money is gone. But then, things started moving again, with the good folks at MMBI helping me out on the importing end. Knowing the whole process, even without the virus situation, would take months, I was kinda just chilling out putting this thing in the back of my mind.

Fast forward to last week, when MMBI informed me that it's here ready to ship to my FFL. Wow, that was a pleasant surprise. Even better, USPS decided to step their game and delivered it a day early. Went to pick it up the next day and found out the FFL had tossed the factory outer cardboard box in the dumpster the evening before. So, we went to the dumpster, praying that the trash truck has not come by, and lo and behold, the box was there still, neat and clean and undamaged. So, I dove in and retrieved it, took it home a gave it a good sterilization. Turned out that the shipper/exporter from Germany stuck all kinds of documentations and shipping label on the box. So my FFL mistook it for just a generic shipping box and tossed it. But, everything is now whole. Whew! Big Grin

Now, onto the gun. It was made in 2005, based on the serial number (U715018) and the matching grips' date clock, but was not proofed until much later. In this case, the proof year was 2018 (BI date code), 13 years after it was made. So, this P226 just hanged around unproofed somewhere in the factory warehouse until recently discovered? And then, boss said, "Hans, get this one proofed and get it on the market, will you?" Big Grin

Another interesting thing I realized is that, the import marking, "SIGARMS INC. EXETER NH" was already done in Germany. We normally think that, when the importer imports a gun from overseas, they engrave their importer mark per ATF regs, after they receive it. But, with SIG NH, I suppose they had an agreement with SIG DE to have their importer mark put in while the gun is still overseas. Makes sense, since they both belong to the same parent company. Other private importers, however, have to mark their name after they receive their guns.

But, this gun never had the chance to make its way to SIG NH, since it was proofed in 2018, while the German export ban on SIG was in effect (and still is). However, you can still bring it over here yourself with the help of your favorite private importer, which is exactly what I did. So now, the gun bears 2 different importers' marks, "SIGARMS INC. EXETER NH" and "MMBI MYERSVILLE MD".

Being all stainless steel, this one weighs in at a little over 41 oz w/ empty mag.

Trigger pull is heavy, both in DA and SA.

DA pull = 11 lbs 3 oz (avg of 5)
SA pull = 5 lbs 3oz (avg of 5)

Although quite heavy, if there is a redeeming quality, it's the SA pull that breaks like glass rod.
This SIG will eventually get a trip to The Sig Armorer some time.

Btw, SL is code for stainless, and SO, contrary to internet legend, does not stand for Special Ops. It's just the code for accessory rail.

Hopefully will get some range time next (this) week. Cool

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 12131,

Q

Posts: 26387 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a beautiful pistol! Can't wait to hear about your range trip.

Psalm 144:1

Posts: 62 | Registered: April 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
Great story and an even better looking firearm.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great things happen to great and good people, karma points to you x1000 and just karma overall back at you sir. What a great story and history behind this beautiful pistol, congratulations. The stainless German 226 was one of those SIGS I missed and still on my bucket list. I always ask myself how does this gentleman choose which pistol to shoot since he has like all unicorns and no two are alike ;0) hope you’re taking good care and make time for some range fun..

Posts: 259 | Registered: July 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love the blue grips on it. Great looking gun

Posts: 1304 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Very nice and an interesting story to boot.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
Beautiful! Just out of curiosity, what went into the sterilization process on the outer box?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: elberettas,

Posts: 1958 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pursuing the wicked
Picture of rangemaster
posted Hide Post
Mr Q, you always have Such interesting posts. Bravo!

The P220 ST is my favorite Sig. I’m having serious envy of your new P226.

Posts: 1621 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: December 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good, bad, I'm the
guy with the gun
Picture of 45ProCarry
posted Hide Post
That is a really nice pistol. I always wanted one of those.

Posts: 2343 | Location: USA | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I swear, you have the coolest stuff!!

Thank you for sharing your collection with all of us

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love the stainless SIGs. How’d you find out about this one?

Posts: 186 | Registered: April 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love those blue grips, are they obtainable? I have one of these guns.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
Another beauty, Q.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1935 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
you have the most awesome pistols in your collection...now I know why!! I had no idea one could order from Germany and I wouldn't know where/how to begin.

ive brought one handgun back from Germany when I left the military. took 6 months of advance ATF paperwork and still a lot of hassle when out processing thru Ft Dix.

congrats on a gorgeous pistol

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite pistols. You're going to love this soft shooting tack driver!

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After seeing pictures of your collection, it always impresses me, as does your latest piece. All I keep thinking is, to quote a phrase," Where does he get all those wonderful toys". Congrats on another fine addition. The grips really set it off.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Very cool. I hope your FFL has learned not to throw ANYTHING away. Big Grin

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3211 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like to order one too. Does Tim Roth have more to sell? I don’t mind doing the paperwork.

Posts: 62 | Registered: May 09, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Those grips flow well with it.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15325 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dcowboyscr
posted Hide Post
What a work of art. Awesome acquisition.

"Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose."

Posts: 3093 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, USA | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post