SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    I got talked out of purchasing a 1911
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I got talked out of purchasing a 1911 Login/Join 
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 19tass:
Go with your original plan and buy a 1911. You won't regret it.

I second that opinion. Today's 1911's are 'lock, stock and barrel' better made than those made in the past.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2073 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PR64:
I have 2 1911's and they shoot great.

The modern 1911's are very accurate.

I think that the only thing to be concerned about with 1911 is whether series 70 or 80. See elsewhere on this forum for details. I think I will buy another 1911 but will be series 70. According to one author in the Blue Press 1911s are dead. Caused all kinds of consternation. Everyone of them was wrong about some aspect of their argument <grin>

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am on my 3rd 1911, a Dan Wesson Valkyrie 9mm, and it is hands down my nicest gun and easy to shoot accurately.

Posts: 710 | Registered: November 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OP, I'm sure Jeff Cooper would have found those opinions amusing. Roll Eyes

My first handgun was a WW II surplus Remington Rand 1911. Got it in 1961 when I was in the U.S.A.F. Had never shot a handgun before and was essentially self-taught (Good instructor - ME.) There was a nearby garbage dump a friend and I would go to to shoot rats. It was probably illegal, but the cops never came.

I had a decent hit ratio using 230 gr ball ammo. I did cheat by reading a book on basic handgun fundamentals though. No Internet back then. I've owned several other 1911's since, including a Wilson Pro. I'm a lousy pure accuracy shot, but if I slow-fire, I can shoot a mag in nearly a one hole group at seven yards. Most of my training and practice is draw-fire from the holster at speed.

About 20 years ago a friend in our LGC defensive shooting group brought in a surplus 1911. No, not a U.S. WW II surplus. It was an Argentine 1911 clone. Awful trigger, terrible skinny sights, etc. A very sad looking clone.

First time he ever shot it off the seven yard line, he had as fine a group as I have ever seen. Very tight. Nobody told him he couldn't hit anything with it. When I got my first 1911, nobody told me I couldn't hit anything with it either.

Even though my hands are rapidly deteriorating with age-related arthritis, my 1911's are still my best shooting handguns.

It's a free country - every arse has a right to bray.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of giz55792
posted Hide Post
I'm like OP and have always wanted a 1911 and over the weekend I bought one off of Gunbroker, new old-stock Nighthawk custom. It should be here this week, but the wait is going to feel like it's longer.

Posts: 711 | Location: Virginia, MN | Registered: October 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nighthawk custom.

Probably pattern like a shotgun that one. Roll Eyes

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
bendable, you're hanging around and listening to some real numbskulls as described in your opening post. Stupidest and dumbest comments and advice I think I've ever read about in my 70 plus years. Frown Frown Frown Frown Frown

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bow Commander
posted Hide Post
49,000 posts here and you can't see through crappy gun advice yet?

Posts: 443 | Location: Springfield Oregon | Registered: September 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
My father told me a similar story about the GI WW2 1911 45's so I stayed away from them as well.

That was until about 10 years ago and I shot one. I was surprised at how well it shot and comfortable it was in my hand.

My first 1911 was a Sig and my second is my Ed Brown.

Here is my most recent target with the Ed Brown.

Posts: 3697 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
Nah, the FBI Hostage Rescue Team carried 1911s for almost 20 years because they're unreliable pieces of shit you can't hit the broad side of a barn with. Smile

We can assume the 1911 was only used for elevator rescue operations. For everything else they must have swapped it out for a real gun.

Roll Eyes

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
We can assume the 1911 was only used for elevator rescue operations. For everything else they must have swapped it out for a real gun.

Well there is the odd phone booth dynamic entry and we cannot rule out a perp in a closet. Big Grin

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Long ago in advanced infantry training we were given 1911s to shoot. Rattled when you shook them side-to-side.

The instruction with the gun was "Let them get close, let them get real close then throw the gun at the enemy.

Modern 1911 a far different story, they are very accurate.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1529 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
You need to come down to Bloomington and rent a 1911. We have a nice indoor range and they have a number of 1911's you could try. I could meet you and let you shoot mine also.

quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
I guess I need to find a range that offers 1911's , for rent.

and shoot 50 rounds with my Ruger P90 and another 50 with the 1911,
prior to making a final judgement

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
then there was this thread
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/3710053564

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
He went on to say that 3 dozen men tried hitting a 12 inch x 12 inch target at 35 feet and the hit ratio was miserable.

So... The lights were turned off. Confused

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
then there was this thread
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/3710053564

Which, for your purposes, is worth completely ignoring.

For what it’s worth, bendable, I can make one ragged hole with my 1943 Remington Rand at fifteen feet or so with Winchester White Box if I take my time. I’ll bet you could do just as well with the same gun, or better. It’s just one of those plain “rattletrap” WWII 1911A1’s. So many others make much tighter, better shooting guns now.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
Bendable, everybody is entitled to their opinion. The opinion you cite sounds like the same kind of myth/opinion about 1911 pistols I've heard since I was a kid, a looong time ago. I owned a stock 1911A1, and was later issued well worn examples. Part of the terrible accuracy reputation surely has to be the "training" most of us received with these pistols. It was really, "fire for familiarization". We got plenty of training in field stripping and cleaning the guns, but live fire training consisted of little more than "point weapon in general direction of target, pull trigger, don't shoot instructor".

1911s are certainly not for everybody, but in the age of high capacity polymer,striker fired "tactical" wonders, I still consider quality 1911 types to be viable weapons. I trained with, qualified with and trusted a 1911 type pistol for carry every working day for several years, became an LE Colt O-Frame armorer, etc. Furthest thing from modern Hi Tec, but still viable IMHO, even outside elevatorsWink

NRA Life

Posts: 1561 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
You were told by a guy who was told by a guy.

Being an instructor, or being a veteran, even one with considerable combat experience, doesn't make you a weapons expert.

He too could just have been doing what so many others do, just repeating what he'd heard from someone else.

Yes, USGI guns could be sloppy loose, poorly mismatched wore out guns and relatively inaccurate. But, I'm willing to bet that was also in the hands of people who weren't what we'd call "shooters".

I've only had one 1911 that was "inaccurate" to my mind. It would would shoot 4-5" groups at 25 yards and no better. Since it was meant to be a hunting gun, that just wouldn't do.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Nah. They can't hit nothin.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Follow your heart

Vague reply copyright Bendcorp 2020. Bendcorp- a Bendable Corporation

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post