SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    I got talked out of purchasing a 1911
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I got talked out of purchasing a 1911 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Baron Flynt:
quote:
Originally posted by copaup:
quote:
Originally posted by Baron Flynt:
I’m wanting a new pistol and I’ve never owned a 45. Always wanted a 1911 so that may be what I get.

I can’t decide if I should spend the $ for a TRP or just get the Loaded model and spend the money saved on ammo. That stainless a few posts earlier looks good and it doesn’t have all the “TRP / TACTICAL” branding on it. I wonder how the trigger compares with the TRP though.

The CZ Shadow 2 is also in the running. That’s one sweet shooting gun but I already have a 75 SAO in 9mm so it would be a little redundant.

I've got a TRP. It's a very, very nice handgun. The front strap checkering is VERY aggressive, but either it wore in or my hands toughened up after the first range trip. It feels perfect to me now. Mine has the slightest bit of a roll to the trigger that I'd like to do away with, but the thing shoots so well that I'm afraid to touch it. If they'd let me carry a personally owned weapon on duty, it would be my choice. Only thing I changed on mine was to swap out the one piece guide rod with a GI setup (a personal preference). I've owned 2 Loaded models over the years, and they were perfectly fine pistols. They weren't in the same league as the TRP when it comes to fit, finish, and features. For me the TRP is worth every penny of the cost to upgrade from the Loaded.

Thanks very much to you and all others for such informative and helpful replies. I want to get something special with a nice trigger so I will probably go upmarket from the “Loaded” price point or, even from the TRP.

I handled a Les Baer at a local store today and it was a sexy beast. I could have put it on layaway today and paid for 2/3 of it but it wasn’t the model I wanted. The UTC with no front serrations posted earlier in the thread would be perfect!

I need to step back and take some time to find the right gun. 99% sure it will be a 1911 though.

A colt competition at around $850 is a very nicely put together 1911, super tight slide to frame fit and barrel to bushing fit and has FO front site and all of the bells and whistles and blue or stainless for around $850. That would be my go to gun in the sub $1000 range.

Since you're past that, I'd skip over a Baer and go straight to an Ed Brown. I have a Kobra 5" S/S and it is not only beautiful but also a phenomenally put together and shooting firearm, I always grab it over my WC.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just got an e-mail Big Grin

A fella offered to break in a Springfield Pro for me,
So I didn't go broke , buying ammo.

There really are nice people in the world Smile

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently picked up my CMP surplus USGI 1911A1. It is a mixmaster ( Remington Rand frame rebuilt with a post world war 2 replacement colt slide and barrel) complete with the tiny military sights and built a little loose. It functions perfectly and ran a 2” 50 foot group with the first 5 shots fired from it.
All these old tales of military issue 45’s being inaccurate junk are entirely myth.

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
I have wanted a 1911 since firing a Springfield
professional, it shot wonderfully , that was 15 years ago.

Since then I have just lusted , for a five inch model

Now I am pretty much ready to go out and find the one I want and giter done.

Then I went to breakfast with a veteran who went through r.o.t.c. at Ft.Riley K.S. .

He was told by the weapons instructor that the 1911 was for looks only and NOT to pull it in self defense unless he was in an elevator,
because they were damn near useless .

He went on to say that 3 dozen men tried hitting a 12 inch x 12 inch target at 35 feet and the hit ratio was miserable.

then I came across the 1911 thread in the Sig Forum pistol section .

Another pistol shooter asked if my Ruger .45 acp did what I wanted it to.

I said yes , he told me to keep it , and "be still " about the 1911, unless I win the lottery.

So there you go , but I am still tempted to go to youtube and find some vid's of 1911's that contradict what I've been told.

And the moral of that story is not to listen to one fool.
Instead, listen to an assortment of fools.

And know this :
You will not be allowed into Heaven if you did not own at least one 1911.

No 1911
No Heaven

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DirectDrive,

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
was out shooting today and had my fairly new SR1911 45acp with me up against a new to me glock 22 I consistenly shot better with the 1911.. Love that gun As i was gathering up my stuff i mentioned to range boss that i shot the 1911 better than my late model
guns He said "most people do "

Posts: 52 | Location: pennsylvainia | Registered: July 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have always wanted one because 1911. However my 220 is overly accurate and engineered so no other features take over, besides nostalgia. So I still want one just because but without urgency.

---------------------------------
I know my nation best. That's why I despise it the most. And I know and love my own people too, the swine. I'm a patriot. A dangerous man --Edward Abbey

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say "I want to see the manager." - William S. Burroughs

Posts: 108 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bendable (& anyone else not experienced with the 1911 platform):

Develop your own opinion based on first-hand experience. It’s a wonderful thing when one acquires a level of skill in marksmanship and I can think of no better design... it has endured for a reason. Think about it.

People everywhere have opinions; that doesn’t mean I take ‘em as “gospel” without finding out for myself.

I’ve got many handguns and more years and experience than most (yes, I’m older). I truly enjoy my Springfield “Range Officer” for its build quality and accuracy. Also, it only set me back seven bills, out the door. I’ve also got an STI in 10mm that cost a bit more -and WORTH IT. I’ve had Colts, too, both Series 70 & 80. The Colts are down the road, now. But, if I were you I’d put less emphasis on prancing ponies and such and seek value and quality.

Now, some 1911 pics!
-Bill

Former US Army, Sgt., 82nd Abn. Div. Paratrooper,
Infantryman, (81mm Mortars) Certified Armorer

Love God, Country, & Family

Posts: 89 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: November 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I waited too long to decide to purchase.
gun shops around here are not totally cleaned out,
but the 1911 pickings are very slim.

So I got a little bit of anxiety going.

then I ran across a fella that has a
Springfield armory master class aficionado

in .45 acp

It's used , ( 50 rounds ,he claims)
but looks very nice ,
so I am researching it as I've never heard of this gun.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
...looks very nice ,

I wouldn’t look too long!

Former US Army, Sgt., 82nd Abn. Div. Paratrooper,
Infantryman, (81mm Mortars) Certified Armorer

Love God, Country, & Family

Posts: 89 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: November 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not that it is indicative of current issue 1911s or other military weapons systems, but I am old enough to have fired US Army issued 1911s before they were replaced. Every one I saw was old, worn out, beat up and rattled like a 30 year old Chevy truck. The ones I fired ran okay, but accuracy was not good. To say that these guns were loose would be generous.

I have a recent 1911 10mm that is very well made and is in no way akin to those old Army 1911s. There are still a bunch of old 1911s out there that could shade some people’s opinion if their experience on the platform is limited to just the GI models.

+

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First I have not read all the replies. Second the only reason I rarely carry a 1911 is I do not like a safety on my EDC, I conversation for another day. Third, I shoot 1911'd better than any other handgun.

When shooting USPSA, Limited 10 my go to gun was a 1911 for years. Yes they are little a little more maintenance intense. I have had good triggers on some of my polymer guns and my CZ BUT NONE compare to a 1911 trigger.

Some 1911 perfectionists my sneer but shoot a 9mm 1911 with hardly any recoil, a ramped barrel for perfect feeding of JHP's, a wonderful trigger, and great accuracy and you will be convinced. Plus they are pretty.

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
then I ran across a fella that has a
Springfield armory master class aficionado

in .45 acp

It's used , ( 50 rounds ,he claims)
but looks very nice ,

It's a limited run of 100 pistols that Springfield did last year. Not quite a full custom 1911, but also not from the factory assembly line. "Semi-custom" is the term used to refer to guns like that, with some production parts but also some limited custom work by a factory gunsmith. (Similar to what Dan Wesson does on their 1911s.)

Think of it as an in-between step that Springfield offered, between their Springfield TRP (full production line 1911) and their Springfield Professional (full custom 1911).

The Master Class Aficionado was listed as coming with:

- Select fit slide & frame
- TRP barrel
- Custom Shop tool steel action components
- 25 lpi checkering
- 14 karat gold front sight bead
- SAC tactical rear sight
- Ball cut slide
- Master Class barrel bushing
- Melonite finish

Retail last year was ~$1500.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]

Nah, the FBI Hostage Rescue Team carried 1911s for almost 20 years because they're unreliable pieces of shit you can't hit the broad side of a barn with. Smile[/QUOTE]

That Les Bear HRT 1911 was one sweet looking pistol

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trebor44
posted Hide Post
Simple solution is for the person who 'offered' their sage advice based on a third person antidote is to take that person shooting and have them fire a box of .44 mag from a 3 inch barreled revolver at a target 20 feet or less. Then have them fire the 1911 at the same distance and ask them which do they prefer!

--------------------------------

On the inside looking out, but not to the west, it's the PRK and its minions!

Posts: 624 | Location: Idaho, west of Beaver Dicks Ferry | Registered: August 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No pistol made today by a reputable manufacturer is inaccurate. I see that all the time on Facebook groups "Oh the (whatever) is so inaccurate". False. The person posting that just can't shoot it for shit. I'm a lousy shot with Glock pistols generally. I have a tough time with their trigger. That's on me, not Glock.

Posts: 2188 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
True US Army had terrible experience with "typical issue" 1911.

Fact the M1 carbine was developed for support personnel normally issued a sidearm (1911) in WWII. These were normally personnel with little to no firearm experience and training was minimal The typical issue 1911 was not a tack driver. Recoil was also an issue with the lack of experience and training.

Up into almost 1980 this remained true when the Beretta 9mm was adopted. Again minimal experience and training. More qualified with the Beretta. A hit is better than a miss with the better cartridge.

Career and special units were different in both training experience and better armorer cared 1911s.

I have dozen 1911s and all are accurate. Qualified carry license 100% with 1911. Don't carry 1911 as much now tho.

Posts: 648 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Re: the SA Aficionado mentioned above - those look like very interesting 1911s - I hope you can snag one!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
By the 70's US Army WWII 1911's were worn out and not very accurate.
This resulted in them getting a bad reputation, and it was accepted then that 1911 pistols needed work to make them accurate and reliable.
A modern commercial 1911 is both accurate and reliable.
I love my Sigs, but I love the 1911 platform equally

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
I hope you will shoot a few 1911s and form your own opinion. All of the one's I have owned would out shoot me for sure. This was a recent purchase full size Ed Brown in 9mm.

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2745 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
1911 can go from not "hitting a 12 inch x 12 inch target at 35 feet and the hit ratio was miserable." to a match made gun that shoots 1" at 50 yards from the Ransom Rest.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post