SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Guys I really need your help with my Glock
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Guys I really need your help with my Glock Login/Join 
You dig
Picture of evolution
posted
Background, I've been shooting semi-auto's for close to twenty years, was a Federal agent for ten of those and shot IDPA for about five. All of that to say, I know how to shoot a semi-auto, or at least most semi-autos. I have no problem shooting HK, Sig, S&W, Kahr but dammit I can't seem to fix my tendency to hit left with my Glock 17 and 19.

Oddly I don't have the issue with my Glock 42 nor the 43.

I've tried more finger, less finger, more grip, less grip. I know this is not uncommon and I'm doing something wrong. I'm open to every bit of advice out there until I fix whatever I'm doing wrong.

Yes, I could go buy a bunch Sig's or S&W's, and in fact I was so frustrated at the beginning of the week I did buy an M&P. But I like my Glock pistols and really want to fix my left tendency.

I'm attaching a picture from this week, the S stands for Smith and G for Glock. You can see the distinct left bias with the Glock, these were all taken at 5 yards.

Thanks

Posts: 2602 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you tried shooting other glocks (of the same model)?

I feel your pain, as much as I want to like Glocks, they are great guns, they just don't fit my hand and a can't shoot them for crap.

Good luck

Posts: 2225 | Location: Lawrenceburg, In | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do not shoot Glocks well either. Do you think moving the rear sight would make a difference? Just a thought.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Front sight should be fixed but the rear is driftable.

I'd focus on the strong side lower three fingers first and then the stong side thumb. That Glock hump can cause some strangeness.

Try support hand only also.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I solved that same problem by putting more finger on the trigger AND drifting, EVER SO SLIGHTLY, the rear sight to the right.

That said, Glocks are not my go-to pistol. 1911 or SIG DA/SA for me, thank you.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I read on here, I think it was jljones, to use less pressure on the side of the grip. Particularly with the support hand. It helped me but I still bumped my rear sight over a touch.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So Jones doesn't have to pimp his own video Big Grin :

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YNVYu3koF4o

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
You may be over analyzing this as a technique problem when it seems to me the sights are off a little.
Have you let someone else that's a competent shooter try those particular guns to see if they shoot left too?

Posts: 9493 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
I had 95 handguns. Had funny problems like the one you describe.

Friend said, "Beware of the man that has one gun; he probably knows how to use it."

I have P226's, 1911's, G30's and a G26.

Ten total. Simplified. Glocks are EDC's for when concealability becomes more critical.

Those problems haven't existed in years.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Honestly at 5y those are not groups.
But in any case my first suggestion is that since the size doesn't differ so much, to just adjust the sights. If you have the stock glock sights get rid of them.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
I have been able to help a few students with this problem from what I learned from jljones. The issue has almost always stemmed from the strong hand putting pressure on the sides of the grip. I'm sure he'll chime in here and I don't want to speak for him. The advice he's given me has worked well for my students.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You dig
Picture of evolution
posted Hide Post
Thanks for ideas and video link, keep them coming. I won't make it to the range until After the weekend unfortunately.

To respond to a couple of questions, the M&P was the first time to the range and the Glock is not standard sights. It's not the gun, nor the sights, this problem replicates itself when I shoot friends' Glocks also, so I'll accept responsibility.

I really prefer to fix the problem as opposed to drifting the rear sight.

Couple of weeks back I had a day where I got the grip right and the target looked real good, but the next time I was back to the left bias.

Posts: 2602 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OP: I've been there. Shot competitively my entire life. Revolvers back in the PPC days and 1911's.

As you said, for me, I had to put more finger on the Glock trigger than I was used to. With just the pad of my finger on the trigger, I was pushing the gun left.

I finally gave up on the G34 for competition though and replaced it with a CZ 75 TS for steel challenge and a Sig P226 for IDPA.

Posts: 148 | Registered: June 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enidpd804:
I have been able to help a few students with this problem from what I learned from jljones. The issue has almost always stemmed from the strong hand putting pressure on the sides of the grip. I'm sure he'll chime in here and I don't want to speak for him. The advice he's given me has worked well for my students.

Same here. I don't have the issue but several of our deputies have. Jones' fix works in most cases.

Posts: 6360 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by evolution:
Thanks for ideas and video link, keep them coming. I won't make it to the range until After the weekend unfortunately.
.....I really prefer to fix the problem as opposed to drifting the rear sight.

The problem IS very likely the rear sight. The factory generally just centers them up and sends them out.

If a car suddenly stops running, you can tow it to a shop and start replacing major components.

Or, you can make sure it has gas.

Posts: 881 | Location: High desert. Nevada | Registered: April 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sgt 127:
quote:
Originally posted by evolution:
.....I really prefer to fix the problem as opposed to drifting the rear sight.

The problem IS very likely the rear sight. The factory generally just centers them up and sends them out.

If a car suddenly stops running, you can tow it to a shop and start replacing major components.

Or, you can make sure it has gas.
No offense but I don't think that's what is happening here.

OP, have you had a proficient Glock shooter try the weapon out?

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6209 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyChryst:
So Jones doesn't have to pimp his own video Big Grin :

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YNVYu3koF4o

Thats a good vid to learn from...

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You dig
Picture of evolution
posted Hide Post
OK, after watching the video it has reminded me that I tried significantly less grip several sessions ago and had quite a bit of success. Actually told a buddy "I think my problem is solved"

But apparently I forgot what I had done different. Now I just have to wait until sometime Monday to retest.

Thank you guys for all the input.

Finally to answer an earlier question, yes, others shoot the pistol fine. It's actually three that I've been struggling with lately; my favorie a FDE Gen4 G17 with Dawson Fiber optics, extended mag and slide releases and a magwell; and two Gen4 G19's.

Again, thank you and thank you J Jones. I'll update next week.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Couple of weeks back I had a day where I got the grip right and the target looked real good, but the next time I was back to the left bias.

Maybe reading more conservative literature with help with your bias.

Looking forward to your update. That JJjones video gave me some more ideas.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You dig
Picture of evolution
posted Hide Post
Here is my current Glock group that I simply don't want to give up....

This is a target from the beginning of April when I had tried J Jones technique, but then forgot. That's why I came back to the subject, I knew I had had some success but couldn't remember what I had done different.