SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P365 SAS Sight Losing Brightness
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P365 SAS Sight Losing Brightness Login/Join 
posted
I've had my P365 SAS for a few months now. When I took it out of the box, the sight was very bright. I've put a few hundred rounds through it with no Issues (<1000). The gun performs very well. I have noticed that since my last visit to the range the sight seems more dim. Has anyone had this experience? I'm worried the cleaner I used might have gotten down the sides of the sight and affected how it retrieves the light..or something. I don't want to take out the bullseye sight unless I have to because it's very accurate at the moment.

When I first got the gun, I took a picture of the bullseye at a certain place/lighting in my office. When I go to that same place with the same lighting, the bullseye is definitely not as bright. I'm not sure if it's due to the shooting or cleaning.

Posts: 12 | Registered: March 21, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
You should call SIG, have them send you a prepaid shipping label, and replace the sight under the warranty.

Don’t call them on Monday morning or Friday afternoon. Those are busy times. Good luck.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10490 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2Adefender:
You should call SIG, have them send you a prepaid shipping label, and replace the sight under the warranty.

Don’t call them on Monday morning or Friday afternoon. Those are busy times. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping I wouldn't need to send it back. I really like carrying this gun. I will get in touch with Sig.

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
It can happen to any tritium sight; Sig will take care of it. You’ll only need to ship them the slide and they’ll make it right. Call them and you’ll get an emailed RMA within minutes.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15573 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
It can happen to any tritium sight; Sig will take care of it. You’ll only need to ship them the slide and they’ll make it right. Call them and you’ll get an emailed RMA within minutes.

For my own knowledge, when they fail, do they usually fail early? What is the actual cause?

Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
I know they can get covered in burnt powder residue but that gets remedied with a dry cloth rub normally. I don't put solvent or oil on them.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Because of how night sight “lamps” are constructed, I can’t think of a way for a failure of the lamp itself to cause the light to become dimmer. If the tritium leaked out, it should be dead, not dimmer. That leads me to suspect a couple of possibilities.

The first is that whatever cleaner or perhaps oil you allowed to get on the lamp window has darkened and is interfering with the light transmission. Otherwise, I would question whether you’re viewing the lamp under the same conditions. If your eyes were more fully adapted to the dark one time than another, that will definitely affect your perception of the lamp’s brightness.

I used Break Free CLP. I didn't put too much on the sight, besides just wiping the excess from cleaning the other parts. I have a picture that I took when I first got the gun, and under the same lighting its definitely more dim. I have been debating removing the sight and cleaning the sight pieces better with lens cleaner or something (and getting more of the sides that are recessed in the slide. The downside to that is trying to get it aligned when putting it back together.

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Because of how night sight “lamps” are constructed, I can’t think of a way for a failure of the lamp itself to cause the light to become dimmer. If the tritium leaked out, it should be dead, not dimmer. That leads me to suspect a couple of possibilities.

The first is that whatever cleaner or perhaps oil you allowed to get on the lamp window has darkened and is interfering with the light transmission. Otherwise, I would question whether you’re viewing the lamp under the same conditions. If your eyes were more fully adapted to the dark one time than another, that will definitely affect your perception of the lamp’s brightness.

I had the exact problem with my 365’s front sight. I attributed it to a “slow leak” rather than sudden catastrophic lamp failure. The gun was about a year old and the front lamp was just one day less than half as bright- seemed to stay the same for the couple of weeks until I could get around to shipping it off. No physical trauma led up to it, it just started occurring on its own.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15573 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
...I’m confused about what you would be trying to do if you removed the sight, but cleaning the bottom or sides won’t have any effect on the night sight lamp. The lamps are usually tiny aluminum capsules with a transparent cap at the back end to allow the visible light to be seen.

Thanks for the replies and help. From looking at the bullseye sight on the internet, it looks like there is a decent amount of light gathering surface area on the sides, that I can’t get to without removing the sight. I wasn’t sure how the reflected light entered the sight, and if that mattered at all. I agree, It doesn’t make a ton of sense and I’m grasping at straws. I’ll touch base with Sig, and update the post if I learn anything.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Sorry, please disregard everything I posted earlier. I was oblivious to the fact that you were referring to the SAS sight which I have only seen in pictures, not the usual night sights used on SIG pistols.

I'll delete my inapplicable posts.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sorry, please disregard everything I posted earlier. I was oblivious to the fact that you were referring to the SAS sight which I have only seen in pictures, not the usual night sights used on SIG pistols.

I'll delete my inapplicable posts.

No problem. I appreciate the support regardless.

I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
So, I'm confused (nothing new about that):

Are these 365 sites tritium or some type of fiber optic light gathering thing ?

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBrooks:
So, I'm confused (nothing new about that):

Are these 365 sites tritium or some type of fiber optic light gathering thing ?

The P365 SAS have both. This pistol employs the Mepro FT Bullseye sight.

https://www.themakogroup.com/ftbullseye.html

The regular P365 has tridium front sights.

posted Hide Post
Mine lasted three months. They replaced them. Second set lasted six months. Replaced them and I sold the gun.

Posts: 76 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 23, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AZ Husker:
Mine lasted three months. They replaced them. Second set lasted six months. Replaced them and I sold the gun.

Ugh...You've got to be kidding. This is the FT bullseye? Did they have any explanation for the loss? Is it from shooting?... or leakage of tridium?

posted Hide Post
These were on an SAS model. I loved the sights once I got used to looking inside the slide. But they got dim way too fast. Reading other forums this is a common problem. I loved the little gun so much I bought another P365 without night sights.

Posts: 76 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 23, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
Makes no sense that tritium sites would go dim in just a few months. Seems like a leak would be bright one day and nothing the next. After all, it's a gas - it isn't going to leak a drip at a time. And all the tritium sites I've seen and heard about last years and years before needing replacement. Unless these sat on a shelf for 5 or 10 years before being installed (which would be weird - especially if it happened twice in a row).

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just a follow-up. I returned my slide to Sig and they replaced the sight. It is now again much brighter (like it was when new). I'm thinking this has to do with the CLP cleaning solution I was using. As mentioned, I could have wiped some on the slide and over the optic glass.

Does anyone have any recommended cleaning/lubricating solution that is acceptable with optics?

posted Hide Post
Another follow-up. I was able to contact Metrolight, and they Recommended to keep oil off of the light collection plate. I have not been using the earlier CLP for cleaning and have been using Sig’s Spec1 lubricant. No issues thus far after multiple trips to the range.

posted Hide Post
Sig cCS told me to take off the sight and clean under it. I did and it worked. Ppl

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post