SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Lipsey’s is Selling a “Retro” Glock 17 – “P80”
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lipsey’s is Selling a “Retro” Glock 17 – “P80” Login/Join 
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
It looks like the lid on the retro tupperware does not have a corresponding hole in it.

I recall being told that in Austria the holes are/were used for stacking and securing their pistols.
As it was described they have a steel rod mounted to the floor and the pistols in these cases/boxes are stacked one upon the other, with the steel rod protruding through each, then a lock is placed at some point.

The other thing that Para's pictures above reminded me of was the "no round in the chamber warning sticker" added to the boxes. Apparently with the Gen 1's somebody opened their new G1 loved on it, at some point loaded a round in the chamber in their Safe Action pistol, then for storage placed it in the original box. With the original box designs there is a cone shape to the hole design in the bottom plastic case.
If you place your loaded pistol and press it firmly into the bottom side case, the trigger safety was depressed and then the trigger moved back. Boom!

I only have a Gen 2 box but that is the story I recall being told when I got it.

HK Ag

Posts: 3495 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
But they didn't.

Ah. I misunderstood what was posted in the OP.

In that case, it's doubly stupid. Literally the only thing "Gen 1/P80" about this is the grip texture.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Ah. I misunderstood what was posted in the OP.

In that case, it's doubly stupid. Literally the only thing "Gen 1/P80" about this is the grip texture.

Honestly, I think the way they're using it as a selling point is misleading. I was under the same impression you were until I watched the video. Something looked "off" about it until I saw the camera angle at the time stamp I linked. I agree, it's doubly stupid. And yes, the only thing about it I can see (without looking inside one that's been field stripped) that's "Gen 1" is the grip texture, and even that doesn't look right to me.

It's basically a Gen 3 with a few cosmetic changes. The way the guy in the video prattles on about how it's "a faithful recreation of the original" and "cosmetically, the P80 is virtually indistinguishable from the first generation of Glock pistols" is kind of comical, honestly. On the contrary, there's virtually no detail that doesn't look different from the first generation Glocks.

Had they billed it as an "homage" to the first Gen Glocks with upgraded internals, I wouldn't have uttered a peep against it. But they're trying to say it's something it really isn't.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The funny part is that right now, Gock is selling pistols as fast as they make them. In the time they spent fabricating this thing, how may G19s could they have cranked out? Right now, Glocks are being sold the same day they hit the gun shop. This not-a-P80 thing is a waste.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Well, and on that note, these will undoubtedly sell out as fast as people can get them. Not because they're some throwback homage, but simply because it's a Glock 9mm. The buyers that these were intended for are going to have serious competition in trying to snag one because everyone and their dog is trying to buy guns right now.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I found this link on another forum. A real Glock P80 at The Smithsonian National Museum of American History Behring Center. It says it’s not on display.

https://americanhistory.si.edu...h/object/nmah_445375

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone know if these will take an agency slide and an apex flat trigger? Cool

In all seriousness its a neat idea but I think I'd likely seek out an OG Gen 1 vs this personally.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
I understand its not a perfect copy of the P80. That said I always liked the looks of the original G17’s and would love to have one of the Lipsey pistols in the collection. I sure wouldn’t have any guilt about shooting it.

Posts: 3128 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
I was lucky enough to find one at a local dealer last week. I missed one of the five that Rural King got in last Saturday. Wonder if they will do a second run of these since they sold so well?

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
My LGS had just got two P80s in last week when I stopped by for something else. I bought one for $660. I like the feel of the old grip and plan to shoot it just like any other Glock I own. The internals appear to be Gen 3 (#336 ejector, no bump on the trigger bar, single spring RSA).

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
That's another thing- there was no "RSA" in the first Glocks. These pistols had a recoil spring guide and a recoil spring. There wasn't a captive assembly. This is something Glock could have duplicated quite easily in this "reissue". Why didn't they do so?

Additionally, why didn't Glock rollmark the slide with the circle/triangle marking we see in the photos of a genuine P80 mbinky posted in this thread? The answer is that consumers don't know the difference and that Glock didn't really care about anything but enticing people to buy this thing.

I can't quite tell from the pics and video I've seen, but it looks like the extractor is not a true 90 degree part, because there appears to be an angular cut on the right side of the breechface. The outer aspect of the extractor is flat- lacking the LCI, but it's a different slide and different extractor.

Different frame with incorrect texturing, different slide with different rollmarkings, different barrel, different recoil spring setup, different extractor, incorrect internal parts, incorrect box, incorrect magazines.

In reality, this pistol has almost no attributes of a P80.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can't quite tell from the pics and video I've seen, but it looks like the extractor is not a true 90 degree part, because there apears to be an angular cut on the right side of the breechface. The outer aspect of the extractor is flat- lacking the LCI, but it's a different slide and different extractor.

Yes, that's exactly what it looks like...15 degree extractor without the LCI.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
So, then, this is an indication of economy in manufacture. My Gen2 G17 is configured just that way- angular cut in the breechface and with a non-LCI extractor. You can go online right now and find that extractor for purchase. Glock still offers it.

Are we getting the picture now? Glock took the easy route, the eonomical route, counting on consumers not knowing the difference. Well, now you know the difference.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023