SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Lipsey’s is Selling a “Retro” Glock 17 – “P80”
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lipsey’s is Selling a “Retro” Glock 17 – “P80” Login/Join 
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Nice!

While i don't need one...

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcs1564
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Nice!

While i don't need one...

Agreed. It’s interesting enough for me where I will be picking one up.

Started putting a couple a calls in today to see if any of the local shops will be getting some in.

------------
SP2022 - 9mm

Posts: 1260 | Location: CT | Registered: January 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JMag
posted Hide Post
Nope; hard pass.

JMag
"The truth is incontrovertible; malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is." ? Winston Churchill

Posts: 796 | Location: Southeastern U.S. | Registered: March 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I dunno. After looking at the video, I noticed a few things that jumped out at me. The trigger guard is much beefier than the Gen 1, it looks like a Gen 3, as does the thickness of the frame itself. That was enough to get me to dig mine out of the safe and compare it vs. all the close up shots of the P80. There's a lot of little differences. Pretty much every last little detail is different, as I look at it. Angled breech face? Ewww.

It's not going to feel exactly like a Gen 1 in the hand. They took a Gen 3 mold, omitted the rail and thumb rests, and changed the grip texture. This isn't a re-release, it's an homage.

It really is a shame they didn't save the original mold. Had they done so, and replicated it with a few things cleaned up, this would be something I could get excited about. As it stands, on a closer look, this doesn't interest me as much as it did initially.

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Why do I have a feeling the vast majority of these will end up never being shot, going into gun safes, until they go auction to people who will also let them sit in the safe until they go to auction...

Funny thing is, it's not a real historical gun.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
RKGuns blew through 50 of them in about 35-40 minutes this morning. I handled one and it is most definitely not a Gen 1. It felt like a Gen 2 with Gen 1 texturing. Kinda cool but I’m still on the fence leaning toward no. If it had the German military markings along with P80 I think I’d be in.

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
This is it. They finally built one I'll buy and not sell cuz I don't like it.

Previous Glocks have come and gone because I bought them because they made sense...and sold them because...meh.

This? I WANT one of these.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m getting one and I like the old school tupperware box.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: xmod,

Posts: 425 | Registered: January 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like the idea of it, but probably not enough to buy one considering I already have a pretty nice early Gen 2.

Posts: 2466 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Homage or not, I will buy one of these should I run into one. It's unlikely that I will search one out though. More of an impulsive purchase like my 19M.

Posts: 237 | Location: PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
It really is a shame they didn't save the original mold. Had they done so, and replicated it with a few things cleaned up, this would be something I could get excited about.
I agree, but the original molds were probably modified over the years when they "thickened" the frame. They probably removed material from the molds as the design got thicker...

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
handled one on Friday at my LGS. Not a Glock guy but I'd snag one for maybe being collectible.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I don't know if Austrian Army-issue P80s came in plastic boxes, but if they did, it would have been this one. Note the space for 17 9mm cartridges:

Later Gen1 and then Gen2 G17s came in this box. Storage space for cartridges removed. Note the plastic barrier which goes around the grip strap and the trigger guard. Note the shape of the part of it in front of the grip strap:

Now, here's the box which came with early Gen3 G17s. Note the undulations in the grip strap barrier to accommodate the finger grooves:

Now, take a look at the box for the "reissue":

As I said, wrong box. Double wrong box. It's a Gen3 box. The pistol is not a P80, no pencil barrel and the slide is different because of this. The frame is different as well, as are the magazines, and it's in a box for a later version of the G17. Spend your money on it if you wish, but I don't know what it's supposed to be.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Hopefully they listen to enough of this kind of feedback to hear that what a lot of us would like to see is an actual reissue of the original and not a Gen 3 with the Gen 1 texture on the grip frame, and not half-assing the box it comes in, if it’s designed with collectability in mind. There’s got to be an accurate way to make a mold of an original, perhaps 3D scanning and 3D printing a mold. I could even be okay with updated frame rails or small things they consider to be safety and liability updates, so long as it actually looks and feels like a Gen 1. I don’t hold out much hope, though.

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I handled one at the LGS on Friday. It was really neat. But it wasn’t the $900 worth of neat that they are going for on Gunbroker.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I handled one at the LGS on Friday. It was really neat. But it wasn’t the $900 worth of neat that they are going for on Gunbroker.

What was your LGS selling it for?

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
They are selling them on Gunbroker. One went near $900, the other has no bids as of right now.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
$750 at PSA's Labor Day Deals.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It's interesting that they went to the extent of specially modifying/reverting the slide to use the old style 90 degree extractor, but yet ignored the more obvious features of the slide/barrel/frame/box that made the Gen 1 distinct.

A pencil barrel is a hell of a lot more obvious than an extra 15 degree angle on the extractor.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
It's interesting that they went to the extent of specially modifying/reverting the slide to use the old style 90 degree...

But they didn't. They used a "flat" extractor without an LCI, but the breech face and the extractor have the 15 degree cut that every Glock since somewhere in the Gen 2's has.

You can see it clearly here: