SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    S&W serial number lookup
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W serial number lookup Login/Join 
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted
My dad might have a lead on two S&W revolvers...

1.) SN 85Kxxx, 6" 38 special doesnt know the model
2.) SN K32xxxx, 6" 22lr, doesnt know the model

he wrote down the SN but didnt know to gather the model numbers...he says neither gun had a model number on the inside of the frame by the crane....

Can anyone help me out when these guns might have been made?

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11269 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
The 38 Special was manufactured in 1981
This could either have been a Model 10 or Model 14 depending on if it had fixed or adjustable sights respectively
I lean toward the Model 14, also commonly known as the K38 or more properly the 38 Masterpiece since I am not sure if 6" model 10s were still being produced by 1981

The 22LR was manufactured in 1959
This was most likely a Model 17, also commonly known as the K22 or more properly the 22 Masterpiece

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I will let him know!

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11269 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only adjustable sighted guns had a K in the serial number, so 1981 would have been a model 14 likely with a dash number for example like a 14-4.
The 1959 22 May not have a model number as these started in 57 but older non model marked frames were used up for a number of years before they were gone

Posts: 3286 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
try here

https://www.northeastshooters....fy-date-a-s-w.68254/

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gunsmoke92
posted Hide Post
Dates and models look right, but keep in mind, S&W doesn't list manufacture dates, but shipping dates.

The best defense is a good offense, and I'm really offensive. Wink

Posts: 277 | Location: Rigby,ID | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunsmoke92:
Dates and models look right, but keep in mind, S&W doesn't list manufacture dates, but shipping dates.
Actually,
Smith and Wesson does not list any dates at all.

Prior to computerization in the early 1980s Smith and Wesson only kept track of when one of their products left the factory.

Post computerization, 98+% of the time the Date of Manufacture is printed right on the box in a little code and DOM is now a stored number

The serial number lists that are published in the Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson (and copied across the Internet) is an approximate list of manufacture dates, not shipping dates.

It is not possible to create a list of shipping dates since firearms did not ship in in sequential order. However groups of frames were numbered sequentially.

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post