SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What's your subcompact
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's your subcompact Login/Join 
Picture of bcjwriter
posted
OK... so with all the choices and new subcompact/micro pistols out there there are a ton to choose from. For some purely unscientific info...

Question:
What is your primary cow/micro pistol?

Choices:
Glock 43
Glock 43X
Glock 26
Glock 48
Ruger LC9s or variant
S&W Shield (1.0 or 2.0)
Sig P365 (standard of XL)
Micro 9mm 1911 (Kimber/Sig/Colt/etc...)
Springfield Hellcat
Beretta Nano
Walther PPS
I carry a .380
J-Frame revolver or similar...(no school like the old school...)
I won't carry a Micro...compact or full size.

Posts: 1957 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wandering, but
not lost...I think
Picture of brywards
posted Hide Post
I currently carry the P365 on-duty and off. Briefly carried a Shield 2.0 before that, and then my original micro-compact, which you left off the poll list, the Kahr PM9. The wife now claims the PM9 as “her gun.”

Posts: 2715 | Location: West Texas | Registered: January 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
I voted J-frame as that is the smallest gun I carry, often as a back-up to something larger. Second place in the poll for me would be the Glock 26, currently my only Glock and my favorite of all I’ve used from that brand.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Glock 26. I carry either a G19 or G26 as far as IWB.

Don't see a need to carry anything smaller as I conceal it just fine and like having 10 rounds without mag extensions.

If I feel the need to go smaller, I will just carry my LCP in my pocket.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Has Kahr fallen so far from grace that it isn't even on the list?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
S&W Chiefs Special 9mm - CS9. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
I'm a J man myself, but I did pocket a small Kahr once. I was suprised it fit my pocket even better than the J, and the J already rides just fine out of the box in my front pocket. If I were doing it again, I'd consider the small Kahrs because of the quality of the DA only trigger and high materials, design, and construction. I also pocketed a Glock little-something as well, at the time I think it was their small 380, and I was equally impressed with the pocket-ability of the gun as well as the ergos. One gun I was NOT impressed with however was a super-micro Taurus thingy in 380. Holding it was fun, shooting it was pretty bad in terms of usuablity and speed. More of a toy than a micro pocket gun imho. I've seen the mineature 1911 pattern pocket pistols. I woulnd't want one myself because I'm not a SAO defense carrier by choice, and Mas wrote some time ago that shorter length slides in 1911 pattern guns are more dicey, so to speak, because of timing of slide velocity within acceptable ranges of ammunition chambering and ejection timing and whatnot. But that article was older and who knows how far things have come along in the downscaling of that pattern. Not being a 1911 or SAO defense carrier myself I couldn't advise. But for a J frame, a TDA or DAO subcompact, I'd say check them out. But I don't care for micro guns, super micros, or microscopic guns of any sort for defense purposes, since I don't see the actual utility of those kinds of shooting toys. Fun yes, practical, not imho.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8636 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I go small, its an LCR or SP101. However, I am struggling to resist the P365.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For pocket carry, I usually have a P365. For several years, I've carried the G43 constantly, and frequently do, but I also carry the P365 quite a bit.

I don't consider the G43X to be microcompact, and while I have carried it in a pocket, it seems better suited to an inside the waistband holster, and once there, I may as well carry the G48. I sometimes carry either one interchangeably. If I'm carrying inside the belt, I may as well carry a G32, which I prefer.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MPrimo
posted Hide Post
A G43 fits my needs perfectly. To the point where I don't even want to try anything else. I do believe it is a very personal choice that depends on things like carry style/location, clothing choice, hand size and past experience. I found one I like and am sticking with it.

MPrimo

Sigs, Glocks, 1911s, M&Ps ... well, you get the point!

Posts: 617 | Location: New England | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
I chose I carry a .380 because it’s always in my car ready to throw in a pocket, however I have a rotation with the 43/43x that I wear when I know I am traveling longer distances or I am going somewhere where I want a bigger gun/caliber.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Shield, but I keep getting the urge to check out a 365.
Then reality hits because the Shield has been perfect. Feels great in my hand, size, functions flawlessly, accurate.
I’ll probably get a 365 someday on an impulse but the Shield serves me well.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Has Kahr fallen so far from grace that it isn't even on the list?
Damn good question.

Of weapons that "could" be on the list, I've gone through the pocket carry progression from 642/442, PM9, and currently the P365.

That PM9 still comes along frequently enough after I modified all the magazines to carry an extra round with MagGuts kits. 7 + 1 in the gun, plus a spare 8 round magazine is 16 total rounds, which isn't too shabby. It's an overall lighter package, partially because there are less rounds, which is still more than the 38 +p wheel gun.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry a P290 RS but it was not on the list.

Posts: 16 | Registered: December 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
My EDC was a Glock 19, now a Shadow Systems MR918. I've had a few subcompacts and shot a few more over the years, only one that I still own is a Gen 3 Glock 26 that has a grip reduction/stipple job on it that fits me perfectly - only reason that I have a 26.

So I voted for the Glock 26, even though I still own a S&W J frame too, its a BUG or an "I'm not carrying a gun" gun.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
xcompact!!

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
It's not listed. P320SC. I had a P365, but traded it for a P320SC for mag compatibility with my duty gun as well as a grip that fit my hand better. The P365 was ok as a secondary, but off duty when it's the only gun I'm carrying, I feel much more confident with the 320SC.

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
P30sk or VP9sk depending on day.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NoQuota
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Shield, but I keep getting the urge to check out a 365.
Then reality hits because the Shield has been perfect. Feels great in my hand, size, functions flawlessly, accurate.
I’ll probably get a 365 someday on an impulse but the Shield serves me well.

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

The shield shoots more like a full sized gun than a subcompact, I’ve actually used it in two training classes and aside from the relative lack capacity necessitating more mag changes, it performed flawlessly.

I love the concept of the 365, and I want to love the gun, but it just doesn’t feel good in my hand, even with the XL the back of the mag digs into my palm.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Posts: 594 | Location: St Augustine, FL | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
I most often carry a G26, but next to my PM9 it's not really all that small...

PM9 still sees some pocket carry on occasion.

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post