SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock 43/43x Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock 43/43x Question Login/Join 
posted
So I've got a 43 and it conceals great, but I don't shoot it well due to the small grip. I handled a 43x at the range and it fits much, much better. My question is, buy a 43x or just the frame and put my 43 slide/barrel on it and sell the frame? I read where there were some improvements on the 43x slide but not 100% on that. I would probably lose about the same on either option so wanted to get some opinions. Thanks.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
You could also buy a 48.

Then you'd have the option of 43 slide on 48 grip for a 43X, or the 48 slide on the 48 grip for a 48, or the 48 slide on the 43 grip for a 43L. or the 43 slide on the 43 grip for a 43.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 43X / 48 is going to have front serrations if that matters.

A shot not taken is a shot missed

Posts: 411 | Registered: April 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Front serrations don't bother me, the extra length of the 48 does (back/SI joint issues). Does anyone know if there are any practical differences between the 43 and 43x slides (minus serrations)? I can't find it now but I remember reading someone discussing some enhancements that might have been part of the 43x as its Gen5. Thanks.

UPDATED: Thanks Rogue, I honestly have not put a 48 in a holster and tried that yet, I should do that before deciding as those trend at a lower price than a 43x for whatever reason.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I have a 43 and 48. Originally, I switched the frame of the 48 to the 43. Loved it so much I purchased just a 43x/48 frame off gunbroker so I have a dedicated frame for my 43 upper. (I got tired of switching them)

It works great and is flawless. Except for the front serrations and marksman barrel, I'm not aware of any other difference between the 43/43x uppers. I hope this helps!

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I will add that the 43x/48 frames are hard to come by now on gunbroker. Last I looked. If you find one, the prices are ridiculous.

My buddy wants to do the same for his 43 as he is on FBI/JTTF and a franken43x would be much easier for him to carry than his 19 or 17. Especially with the Shield Arms 15 round magazines.

I have fired hundreds of rounds with my franken43x and absolutely no issues.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you want to keep the 43, try adding these:

http://www.pearcegrip.com/Products/GLOCK/PG-43%2B1

My 43 - with the +1 extension - is now a safe queen now that I have a G-43X. I like it with the 10 rd mags, it's even better with the Shield 15 rd mags (into which I can only stuff 14).

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have carried the G43 a lot, and put a fair amount of rounds downrange through it. I like the G43.

I wanted a G43X and G48 when they came out (would have preferred a black slide). I picked up a used G48 as a reward to self for finishing college after 30+ years, and shortly after that a perfect condtion used G43X showed up at the same place, so I got that too.

The G48 is a thin G19. While the G43 was a thin G26, the G43X is a hybrid thin G26 atop of thin. G19, all with the expected reduced capacities. With the Shield magazines in the G43X and G48, they have G19 base capacity of 15 rounds. I have metal mag catches and Shield magazines in both my G43X and G48. I like them equally.

I don't know of any enhancement to the G43X slide other than the front cocking serrations; I've used the G43X slide on the G43 frame, and it works.

I did put the "glock gadget" striker control device (Tau development group) on the G43X and G48, which allows me to put my thumb on the back of the slide and block the striker when holstering. A number of my Glocks have that. I also changed out the triggers with Precision Overwatch FALX triggers, and replaced the connector with a ghost pro connector that limits overtravel. Sights are Trijicon XR with yellow front.

Because I carry the G43 in a pocket holster, I was more interested in the G43X doing the same, and it works fine for me, in a DeSantis nemisis holster. (I use taller front pocket openings that work well for the draw. The G48 is comfortable inside the waistband, due to being a bit thinner, so I have a kydex holster for that.

I'd be quite comfortable with either one using a 10 round magazine, too, and with factory configuration; everything is as reliable as you can get in a handgun.

When I originally got my G43, the trigger was unacceptably heavy. Not just the weight, but the trigger in general wasn't good. Many were reporting the same. I wasn't impressed with the stock G43X or G48 trigger either, and replaced both the trigger and connector as a result. Now they're good triggers.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Dropped the 43 upper on my 48 grip and presto changeo 43X, so now I have three options, and didn't trade in a 43 on an X and lose 50% of the invested money in the 43.

BTW my 43 is a Talo edition with better sights so that was important to keep..

And, it runs flawless in the conversion with the 15 round Shield mags....

Then again it's a Glock, it's supposed to run....

If you don't want to do that then Keep the 43 and buy the 43X, both have places in carry depending on what you are wearing.....

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I have a 43 and purchased a 43x complete lover did the swap and it runs perfect, shield mags if you can find them makes a super nice 15+1 9mm I also have 2 43x for back ups love the gun.

Posts: 5595 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I took Rogue's advice and just ordered a 48, and at a very fair price I might add. Will report back once I get it and have the chance to put some rounds down range.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 94hokie:
I took Rogue's advice and just ordered a 48, and at a very fair price I might add. Will report back once I get it and have the chance to put some rounds down range.

The Shield 15 rd mags are real hard to get, put yourself on multiple notification lists now:

https://shieldarms.com/s15

https://www.brownells.com/maga...-43x-prod132881.aspx

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I have already back ordered them after talking with Shield. In the interim the factory 10 rounders are fine, looking forward to picking this up.