SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P230 pros/cons
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P230 pros/cons Login/Join 
posted
I have an opportunity to buy a like new p230 for about $475 with box and 2 mags and lock. I've heard this model has feeding problems. Are there any other known issues? Anyone think this model should be acquired or avoided?

Posts: 29 | Location: 9007 Stonebridge Dr | Registered: November 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
The P230/P232 series has many fans. Some shooters experience slide bite while others do not. The recoil can also be sharp. Some also feel that it is too large and heavy for its capacity. Those complaints aside, it is a sexy, classic, small semi-auto and there is no reason to avoid the P230. You do not provide any detail on the specific one you are considering.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GaryBF,

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jump on that! Excellent pistol.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16003 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Mine is an alloy framed, blued model. Recoil is sharpish and borders on unpleasant with "defensive" ammo. I do get slide bite unless I lock my right thumb down. I have XL hands. Very sexy pistol. Mags are pricey. I have had some feeding issues, most of which I seem to have traced to a tired mag spring (which felt identical to my other mags, but the replacement was muuuuuuuch stiffer).

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3181 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
I bought a 232 last year and sold it after shooting it 2 times. The recoil was too much for my taste and I couldn't get used to the European mag release.

If you like it, but buy it, $475 is an excellent price. The only thing I will caution you is, the mags are extremely expensive; they are going for on average of $40 - $60 depending on if they are blued or stainless.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3181 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire for effect
posted Hide Post
I'm not aware of feeding problems. Both my P230 and P232 have functioned flawlessly and are very accurate. I carried the P230 for a decade. I have up-gunned for carry since, but still like the pistols.

"Ride to the sound of the big guns."

Posts: 7210 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tcfiero
posted Hide Post
See if you can find a KF 1995. Mine has the upgraded rebounding hammer. My JG 1986 does not. The KF is near the end of the run of the 230's and some of the 232 upgrades made it to them. I have two 230SL, a 232 Stainless and a 232 two-tone.

Here is my OF

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tcfiero,

Posts: 327 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: June 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
P-230 is Wendy's carry gun. She even did Frontsight combat pistol course with it with no FTF or FTE. With rest of the group using 1911 style she not only kept up she very well. Once one learns to go for the bottom magazine release instead trying to push a button you got it made. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
What's teh point of a rebounding hammer? It ruins the trigger feel IMHO

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:
What's teh point of a rebounding hammer?

It is an additional safety feature in the unlikely event of dropping the gun on the hammer.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
The P230/232 is a beautiful, and classic pistol – a fine collectible. But for a business .380 I like the P238 better. With its locked breech design, its recoil is much softer, and its slide is much easier to rack. No slide bite, no hammer bite, very reliable cycling, 1911-style mag release. Good Patridge sights too, with tritium dots. Of course, you have to be comfortable with SAO operation.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8851 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
quote:
What's teh point of a rebounding hammer?

It is an additional safety feature in the unlikely event of dropping the gun on the hammer.

Ahh, thanks. I have a Japanese spec model that had one....they went out of their way on making that one hard to shoot (safety that only engages if the hammer is down plus the rebounding hammer). Its much nicer now, converted to normal DA/SA hammer and no safety.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post